Favorite series that was born and died in the 7th gen

So what would you like to see make a comeback this gen?

• Bioshock

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Dead space

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Saint's row

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • F.E.A.R

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darksiders

• The Darkness

• Other

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's so sad to see a great new IP come out, only to not see it make it to the next gen. Here are some great ones that I think might not see another installment.

My vote is definitely for Dead Space, but I also love the Bioshock games. I feel like Saints Row has the best chance of having a new entry, but the rest look nearly dead.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't really think of any, or at least any I think should continue. I loved plenty of games that were one offs, but a lot of those I don't think need sequels. For example, Bastion. I loved Bastion, but it wrapped up nice and tight, there's no need for it to have a sequel. The gameplay evolves and lives on through other games with their own unique story. As long as the story wraps up and the gameplay evolves through other games, I'm fine with a game ending.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Saint's Row and The Darkness kind of just went off the rails and crashed into a brick wall, rather than simply just 'dying' in the previous gen.
I mean SR4 is great and funny, but if you wanted more of SR1 or 2 then, well, you weren't getting it. SR4 was completely different. Just wasn't my thing.

and then The Darkness 2...fuck me what an awful sequel such a fantastic and original game. The Darkness was probably one of my favorite FPS of all time, whereas TD2 just made me cringe.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saint's Row and The Darkness kind of just went off the rails and crashed into a brick wall, rather than simply just 'dying' in the previous gen.
I mean SR4 is great and funny, but if you wanted more of SR1 or 2 then, well, you weren't getting it. SR4 was completely different. Just wasn't my thing.

and then The Darkness 2...fuck me what an awful sequel such a fantastic and original game. The Darkness was probably one of my favorite FPS of all time, whereas TD2 just made me cringe.
Yeah, that's definitely a problem with sequels. After the Thief series, it generally makes me sigh when a game I liked is getting a sequel. Generally they'll just keep a franchise going until it becomes crap. It's rare to see a franchise manage to keep going without becoming crap.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Bioshock was obviously great. Though infinite didn't really live up to the glory of its predecessor, due to the way it gets so repetitive, it was still a great series overall.

Reactions: jDSX

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
*sigh*

With reasoning like this, it's no wonder companies milk their franchises for all they are worth. :(

Honestly: NONE OF THEM!!!

Of the mentioned series, I've only played bioshock and saints row games. Great games, but they nonetheless make it very clear their franchise is done.

-it would've been better if bioshock just stuck with just the first two games (or even the first...I've barely played the second one). Bioshock infinite was great...BUT IT WASN'T A BIOSHOCK GAME! It would've made a wonderful game on its own, but in an ironic way the whole franchise thing is dragging it down. The vigors were just there because that was what people expected, but made no sense theme-wise. Same for the story aspect where the connections to the bioshock games were pretty much shoehorned in because some twat at marketing thought the name bioshock would sell more units than a game that stood on itself (the bad thing is that that twat was most likely even right with that observation).

-saints row is another great series that went from direct GTA clone in a serious environment to basically a circus. One could argue that 4 jumped the shark, though the result is actually a very fun superhero game. I don't want more of the same for that, as I already have that (it's called saints row one through 4).

Besides..."comeback this gen"? It's not like these new consoles offers much that the previous generation couldn't handle. So it's not like you're stuck with games that feel embarrassing to play in regard to this newer generation.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Bioshock, it didn't die off, Levine is working to make it a permanent franchise.
You really need to have played Burial at Sea to see the connection between Bioshock 1 and 2 and Infinite.

Infinite itself stands lose from Rapture.

Reactions: Lemon_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk