Hacking FAT32 vs. NTFS vs. WBFS - Which do you use?

What partition type(s) to you use on your primary Wii hard drive?

• FAT32

Votes: 82 42.1%
  • NTFS

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • WBFS

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • FAT32 + NTFS

Votes: 37 19.0%
  • FAT32 + WBFS

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • NTFS + WBFS

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • FAT32 + NTFS + WBFS

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Another partition type

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NTFS and WBFS for me.
Using the NTFS just for WiiMC.

I do want to convert it all to fat32 but but I've created a few channels using CRAP to make it quicker and easier for the kids to launch their favorite games. I just need to find a few hrs to delete them all and restart again using WiiGSC, but then again the kids hardly use the wii to play games anymore, their iTouch is more fun.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@crwys
You sir, seem to really love talking people down as far as you can. They say the people like you are the ones with the most insecurities.

Really dude, stop talking to people like every fucking one of them is a dumbass. You can talk to them like people, and if they are really that dumb, just let it go.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
So do you think devolution will support backups :) irony ....

seriously i voted ntfs as my 1tb WD collapsed once and i figured it was cause i formatted to fat32 so i was releuctant to do it again , probably no connection at all . I maybe partition the 1tb and do it that way if i had too

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's funny cuz the poll proves that FAT32 is still used more then NTFS by the vast majority. Sure only 43% of people have a single FAT32 partition(As of right now) but if you add up all the different categories which use FAT32 the total is 82 votes which is 73% in a sense since some of us, about 20% use both. Which coincidentally is damn near the estimated original statistical amount.
It's interesting how statistics can be twisted around...

Among other things, this poll tells us that over 36% of Wii users will not be able to access all or part of their hard drives if using applications that cannot read NTFS.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@crwys
You sir, seem to really love talking people down as far as you can. They say the people like you are the ones with the most insecurities.

Really dude, stop talking to people like every fucking one of them is a dumbass. You can talk to them like people, and if they are really that dumb, just let it go.
No, if I wanted to talk you down as far as I could, it would be a lot worse.
We just got done debating statistics and you say
"They say the people like you are the ones with the most insecurities."
Lol you wonder why I talk down to you.
Right now there is only 2 people I talk to like dumbasses, and that is because they are, and that is you and the guy I just did the very long quote about.
And you are telling me to let something go, when you just insulted me out of no where because you are still butt hurt from another thread that I attacked you on.
Sure maybe I could be a little nicer, but when it comes to people like you I probably never will be.
I don't mind giving noobs advice and helping them, I am more than kind to them.
Here is a nice post for you, hopefully you will shut up now.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/326683-wii-raffle-wrap-up/page__view__findpost__p__4216794

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I don't know any native Wii applications that read USB Drives.
Apparently that game Dragon Quest can, but it is still in testing and no one has leaked the disc for it yet for us to examine. But the new IOS has been leaked, but I don't think anyone has posted up any solid info about it besides that it does have USB mass storage support.

:P

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The people who voted for other partition type could perhaps be using ext2 or ext3?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems more lower IQ people would use IE because it comes with Windows.
All the computer illiterate people I know use IE because they don't even know about Chrome or Firefox or even want to try it if they did.
I never liked IE, some people do, but eh.

It would seem that way if you don't like IE, but the author of the report has admitted it was faked. If it was provable then he would have just done that instead.

There are various reasons for people running IE, one of which is that they are using work computers where they aren't allowed to install anything else.

I've run all the different browsers at one time and I end up back with IE. My life doesn't get alot better because the couple of web pages I visit a day render slightly differently and slightly faster.
IE is good enough, the same as FAT32 is good enough.

Everyone is bitching about firefox these days & they'll turn on chrome as well. I just can't be bothered with them all. I don't think that adversly affects my IQ, I'd just rather do something else with my time.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Apparently that game Dragon Quest can, but it is still in testing and no one has leaked the disc for it yet for us to examine. But the new IOS has been leaked, but I don't think anyone has posted up any solid info about it besides that it does have USB mass storage support.
IOS57 is supposed to have a USB mass storage module even if no games presently use it.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP

For its Wii release, Dragon Quest X will ship not only with a disc, but a USB, presumably to allow the system to support post-release content. The game will support Wii Remotes with Nunchucks, Classic Controllers and even USB keyboards. There is no mention of support for GameCube controllers.

IGN - Source. could be interesting.

back on topic , how would i convert a 1tb hd ntfs full of files i want to keep there to a partitioned ntfs and fat32 drive that both partitions can be read on the wii... need ntfs as i have lots of over 4 gig files

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For its Wii release, Dragon Quest X will ship not only with a disc, but a USB, presumably to allow the system to support post-release content. The game will support Wii Remotes with Nunchucks, Classic Controllers and even USB keyboards. There is no mention of support for GameCube controllers.

IGN - Source. could be interesting.

back on topic , how would i convert a 1tb hd ntfs full of files i want to keep there to a partitioned ntfs and fat32 drive that both partitions can be read on the wii... need ntfs as i have lots of over 4 gig files

Well since you want to keep a NTFS partition, you don't need to convert anything.
You just need to re size your NTFS partition, then create a new Fat32 partition.
Windows can do it, or you can find a freeware program online.
If you are on Windows 7:
Control Panel > System and Security > Create and Format hard disk partitions > Right click on your 1tb drive > Select "Shrink Volume"
Follow the prompt and then you will have a new partition which you would format to Fat32 and copy your files over from your NTFS to it.
Windows Partitioning system is kind of limited though so you may want to find a program online.
I use Paragon Hard Disk manager but you have to pay for it.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Iirc HBC can only use the first partition
Keep that in mind while shrinking the NTFS partition
You have to move the start towards the end not the other way round
Some tools don't allow that

(or find a tool that allows non canonical partition orders like 2 1 3)

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
so if i have fat32 first , then i can use say wiiflow / wiimc etc to browse the ntfs part and fat32
I don't use them and only have a single fat32 partition anyway
But I think they both support fat32 and ntfs regardless of order

Best way for you to go ahead would probably be experimenting with some old usb stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: because he legit gets annoyed when someone says irregardless