Hacking FAT32 vs. NTFS vs. WBFS - Which do you use?

What partition type(s) to you use on your primary Wii hard drive?

• FAT32

Votes: 82 42.1%
  • NTFS

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • WBFS

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • FAT32 + NTFS

Votes: 37 19.0%
  • FAT32 + WBFS

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • NTFS + WBFS

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • FAT32 + NTFS + WBFS

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Another partition type

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
fat32 for the compatibility and because my drive is always on the wii, just occasionally copy files betwhen pc's or when i go to a frind's house with it.
the 4GB limit is not a problem, wii backup manager does all the work dividing the files.
i tried ntfs once, but failed miserably BTW that was when i begin with wii hacking so maybe i just missed something, but fat32 is more compatible in the end.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NTFS because I use the HDD for other things as well. FAT partition was for SNEEK but I haven't used that in forever.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
COMPRESSION is not all that useful when .wbfs files are already compressed and have the disk padding removed.
What? They are not compressed.
That's weird. They seem the same size as a CISO image or as an ISO image in a compressed file and on my computer's hard drive (which IS compressed NTFS) there seems to be little or no difference between the "size" and "size on disk" entries for them. I guess I just always took it for granted that they used some sort of compression. Maybe it's just that game developers just usually use some sort of compression on THEIR files when the put them on the disk or they use something else that's not very compressible.
One way or another the NTFS compression doesn't seem to do much to them.
He is saying that you are completely wrong.
CISO, WBFS files are not compressed. iSO's in ZIP or RAR files are compressed.
WBFS and CISO just remove the junk data,(All those pretty little 0's that are put in when they have nothing left to make the game 4.37gb) they aren't compressed.
i knowed that of the WBFS files, but the CISO's part not.
even the name of the file said it "Compressed ISO", and that leads to confusion.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone on WBFS is afraid of change. That's it. FAT32 IS the way. Perfect for everything now. You don't need to cripple you HD with a crappy WBFS partition anymore. There are tools in posts above to automate it. Stop stalling. You can fit whatever size files by splitting them with Wii Backup Manager. Do yourself a favor and switch. You wont regret it, Its better. Don't be scared to improve. Suck it up and give it a shot.

Reactions: 4 people

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even the name of the file said it "Compressed ISO", and that leads to confusion.
Sorry, I was wrong. the site [member='WiiBricker'] linked in says the C really means "Compact".
Compact yes. not compressed. Compact ISO not Compressed ISO.
And you "knowed" that? Lulz.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Sorry, I was wrong. the site [member='WiiBricker'] linked in says the C really means "Compact".
Compact yes. not compressed. Compact ISO not Compressed ISO.
And you "knowed" that? Lulz.

Please note that this "terminology" of Compact ISO resides in Wii scene, because CSO in PSP Scene is indeed compressed iso

/offtopic

-

FAT IS universal, and mountable everywhere :creep:

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
We always say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
I assume most people still on wbfs are satisfied with it.

Complaining about not having free space to backup stuff during transferring from one file system to another is pathetic.
Either, you are not a pirat and you can always rip your originals again,
Or you are a pirat....

No matter what your data is, only having it on one location is never a good idea. Sooner or later, you will lose some data.
And no, there is no file recovery program for wbfs partitions, not even in modmii.

Reactions: 1 person

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
The only reason going back to WBFS has ever crossed my mind was to be able to use uLoader to open the same games I'm currently using in more modern loaders.
I don't know if or how other loaders can use an external USB DVD drive to load games.
That's not all that important of a feature but when someone comes over to play one of their own burned disk games on a Wii whose drive can't read DVD-R it's a lot faster than having to rip it on the computer and install it to the hard drive before playing so I always keep a copy of uLoader installed just in case.

That's the only slight temptation, but I'm sticking with FAT32.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 1TB Seagate GoFlex FAT32+NTFS. I use both and I love it, no problems at all, plus I can still defrag and dskchk. FAT32 for most apps and homebrew/NTFS for Wii Games/Movies/Media.

Most people say that the benefit of NTFS is lost since WBM can automate file splitting but that's only for Wii Games, I have HD Movies, PC Games among other things that cannot be split, on top of that there are homebrew apps that perform better with information(NAND Emu) split between both format types.

So my FAT32 Partition is much smaller then my NTFS, but as I learn more and now that DM and DeVo are around the corner all I'm thinking about is possibly decreasing the size of my NTFS partition and extending my FAT32 but definitely not removing it :D

Reactions: 2 people

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone on WBFS is afraid of change. That's it. FAT32 IS the way. Perfect for everything now. You don't need to cripple you HD with a crappy WBFS partition anymore. There are tools in posts above to automate it. Stop stalling. You can fit whatever size files by splitting them with Wii Backup Manager. Do yourself a favor and switch. You wont regret it, Its better. Don't be scared to improve. Suck it up and give it a shot.

Peoples' refusal to let go of WBFS is like people who refuse to stop using Internet Explorer 6.

Reactions: 4 people

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Peoples' refusal to let go of WBFS is like people who refuse to stop using Internet Explorer 6.
So damn true.

And statistics have proven that those the use IE as their primary browser have an average IQ, whereas those who use chrome or FF have and above average IQ. I'm sure that the same can be said about those still using WBFS as a primary partition type.

Reactions: 6 people

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have a 1TB Seagate GoFlex FAT32+NTFS. I use both and I love it, no problems at all, plus I can still defrag and dskchk. FAT32 for most apps and homebrew/NTFS for Wii Games/Movies/Media.

Most people say that the benefit of NTFS is lost since WBM can automate file splitting but that's only for Wii Games, I have HD Movies, PC Games among other things that cannot be split, on top of that there are homebrew apps that perform better with information(NAND Emu) split between both format types.

So my FAT32 Partition is much smaller then my NTFS, but as I learn more and now that DM and DeVo are around the corner all I'm thinking about is possibly decreasing the size of my NTFS partition and extending my FAT32 but definitely not removing it :D
My situation is very similar. I use a small FAT32 partition for Wii applications and a huge NTFS partition for games, ISOs, along with other files which are too big for FAT32.

At present, there is no good reason to change the big NTFS partition back to FAT32. That may change, however, if certain new applications refuse to support NTFS. At the moment, it looks like 31% of those who have answered the poll are using NTFS in some capacity, which is almost 1/3 of the user base.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still using wbfs for my games, fat32 for homebrew stuff

so fat32+wbfs for me.

same here. well on my family's wii (i dont live with them) I have ~450gb wbfs, 4gb fat32

because i've never had an issue ripping games to wbfs. I've had errors on both FAT32 and NTFS. and the wii is used for nothing besides storing some games and launching homebrew.

on my wii i only have a 16gb usb drive so obviously i just keep it at FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1