Hacking FAT32 or WBFS? Make your choice

Which one do you use for your USB loading needs?

• WBFS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FAT32

• NTFS

• Total voters

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
ring using sparse iso files until I read they can cause some bad file fragmentation.
frown.gif

Maybe I'll look into it again.
That's fixed with wbfs_file 2.1 and wwt
QUOTE(naglaro00 @ Dec 21 2009, 05:13 PM) I use WBFS so I can manage my data more efficiently
Why is it more efficient? And more efficient than what?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FAT32 right now as you can use it for everything on the Wii, no SD card required.

NTFS will be better when every app supports it ( & writing works ). The advantage of ISO isn't enough for the disadvantages, with wbfs_file it's easy to convert them (and you need to use it to make ISO sparse in the first place). So it's just when opening/burning that you get any benefits. However when NTFS is ready to roll, then converting FAT32 to NTFS is pretty trivial (CONVERT E: /FS:NTFS on windows).

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm using WBFS for now, as thats what was available when I first started USB Loading.

When my app of choice (Coverfloader) supports NTFS, then it will be time to reformat the USB HDD to make one large NTFS partition instead of 1 medium NTFS partition, 1 medium WBFS.

blank.gif

Edit: I save a copy of all my .ISO files on the NTFS partition anyways, so it would be nice to just have the loaders use that folder and remove the WBFS completely.

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plus by using the NTFS / FAT you lose the benefits of running under Waninkoko, since it only works with Hermes' IOS, right? That's my main concern and the reason why I'm not converting yet to those filesystems.
frown.gif

Doesn't that bother you?

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It doesn't bother me... I have both Hermes and Waninkoko's IOS's installed (as well as USB 202, MulticIOS to name a few more). As long as all the features are carried over, allowing me to play exactly the same way but using an NTFS partition, I will happily switch.

If/When Waninkoko releases another cIOS, one would assume it will support WBFS, FAT, and NTFS.

laurozza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Dan_Aykroyd said:
Plus by using the NTFS / FAT you lose the benefits of running under Waninkoko, since it only works with Hermes' IOS, right? That's my main concern and the reason why I'm not converting yet to those filesystems.
frown.gif

Doesn't that bother you?
What are these benefits?
rolleyes.gif

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eddie_Brock said:
It doesn't bother me... I have both Hermes and Waninkoko's IOS's installed (as well as USB 202, MulticIOS to name a few more). As long as all the features are carried over, allowing me to play exactly the same way but using an NTFS partition, I will happily switch.

If/When Waninkoko releases another cIOS, one would assume it will support WBFS, FAT, and NTFS.

Yeah, but what's the use of having both installed unless you also keep a WBFS partition with the games mirrored there, because NTFS/FAT32 won't work with it!

The benefits... hmm... the feeling that Wanin cIOS is way more developed than Hermes'. I should compare the features of both to post them here, but I think you get my point.

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
naglaro00 said:
I use WBFS so I can manage my data more efficiently
Thats not right, the Wii Backup Manager can "scrub" the Files and split them to a 2gb limit also if you use a NTFS drive(that help if you copy these files to a fat32 drive).

With the scrub function you can use the NTFS file system efficiently and you can access and use the drive also with Windows NT up to Win7.

You can copy all the games from the wbfs folder with your windows explorer(It's faster than wbfs) and much more.

I like it, now i can use my 1.5tb external hd with my Wii and my PC!

p.s. Wanin left the scene, hermes is the only ppl that develop a cIOS and i think we must/should support hermes.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dan_Aykroyd said:
frown.gif

Doesn't that bother you?
Waninkoko's cios has no benefits. All my games work with hermes cios.
QUOTE(HiBit @ Dec 21 2009, 10:12 PM) You can copy all the games from the wbfs folder with your windows explorer(It's faster than wbfs)
Transfer speeds are exactly the same for me
tongue.gif

Bluee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently still using WBFS, has worked brilliantly for USB loading and especially game channel loading by Loadstructor. All ROMs, wads, and media files are streamed over my network so I don't need FAT for that.

I am awaiting the RawkSD update that supports USB DLC loading, and I assume it will only support FAT. I will then upgrade my Wii HD and probably switch over to FAT entirely. However, it is my current understanding that it is not possible to do game channel loading with FAT games. Is that true?

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm still using WBFS currently. I'd like to transition to NTFS so I can used it in Windows as well, but isn't NTFS easily corrupted or something?

todd72173

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WBFS..because thats what Config USB loader wanted my 1TB HD formatted in! Already have 500GB full! Drive has been connected to PC and dumping DVDS onto it for weeks. No issues. Have no idea why I need to use NTFS/FAT32 when WBFS works fine on my PC/WII.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: