Fast-forward on EZ-Flash Omega DE?

Merios

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the flashcart doesn't emulate GBA since GBA isn't strong enough to emulate itself, but I was curious if there was an addon or cheat or something for EZFLASH to let me use x2 or x4 speed. I post this mainly because I play Romhacks with QoL features in them for older games, specifically older Pokemon titles and Tactics games. If there isn't a way to do it in-cart, is there a way to modify the .gba file itself to have it run at x2 speed at all times?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Speedup in hardware happens two ways
1) Someone overclocks the console (has been seen on the GBA, not a thing flash carts can do though).
2) You hack the game itself to speed up. Naturally going to be a per game basis.
Three approaches.
i) You duck, dive and optimise to allow it to happen more naturally. Absolute nightmare most of the time (rarely there might a limiter, my copy of Mario Kart 64 has the sped up skyscraper bug)
ii) Dark arts of vblank disabling. Many things will wait for this to do things. Can also be dangerous for the hardware to write screen updates without it. To that end possible but don't go there.
iii) Fake it. Animations are animations so editing to take two steps (careful not to make a walk through walls cheat) in fewer frames is doable.

Merios

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry it's been a few days, but I think my main option is to patch it in myself. Is there a program that's commonly used for modifying roms like that? Essentially I'm enjoying playing a version of firered on my flashcart, but realizing my patience isn't quite what it used to be when it comes to grinding. In theory, an in-game toggle would be great but I doubt that's possible, I am meaning to increase base throttle by a factor of 2 just to make it more QoL for my flashcart use.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Emulator turbo is increasingly like moving away from dual monitors.

Anyway no particularly simple program like you might have seen for some of the cheats and no great list of existing hacks either (it is not a very common class of hack). It is not the worst family of hacks to get going on but still going to be a bit of a learning curve if boosting in game parameters fails.
In game toggle is well within reason same as button activated cheats really; find some small area of unused memory, set it and have the turbo patches check that and work if it is active.

I assume you have also dismissed options like double exp cheats.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?