Hacking FakeDetector & FakeRecovery_v1.16a

mxk1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
Just to be clear, have you tried the following:[*]Reformat your microSD card using the Panasonic formatter.[*]Download the official 1.16 firmware but copy ONLY the TTMENU folder (NOT TTMENU.DAT) to your microSD card (the official TTMENU.DAT contains fake-killer code).[*]Download this archive here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086[*]Copy all 4 files from the archive to your microSD card (the TTMENU.DAT in the archive has the fake-killer code disabled).[*]Create a "games" folder on your microSD card. Place two games (.nds files) into the "games" folder.[*]Run "safely remove hardware", select your microSD reader from the list, and press STOP.[*]Remove your microSD card from your PC. Insert the microSD card into the DSTT which is inside your NDS and then turn on your NDS.[*]Run DsttFlashChecker.nds to see if you have a fake.[*]If you have a fake, run DsttFlashWriter.nds to restore it.[*]Run one of the games.If you find that your card is now working properly, you can delete DsttFlashChecker.nds, DsttFlashWriter.nds, and DSTTDUMP.BIN from your microSD card, but leave TTMENU.DAT.

Always make sure that you leave plenty of room on your microSD card for system files and save files. Make sure you ALWAYS use "safely remove hardware" to avoid corruption of your microSD card. Always make sure all your games are in a "games" folder and not on the root of your microSD card.

-Bri

Bri

Cheers for the advice. but i think I'm on a lose here, still got the same issue, I cant run the files from the duff TTDS, gettig a cannot load the rom error, then it corrupts the card.

Its not my card, I have a good one , this is for one of the old boys in work.hehehe

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the dreaded contact problem. Have you tried putting folded paper or cardboard next to your card on the side opposite the contacts to help them make better contact with the DS? If that works, you should exchange your DSTT for a new one.

-Bri

mxk1000

Trophies
XP
Country
not working with the paper down the back of the slot.
Think it might be a new batch of chips. hopefully a newer version of the recovery program will appear and i can try that, If not, I just have to get the guy in work to return the card to DX

Just as a side note, when using the ttdsflashwriter it shows the chip as a intel28F160B3T which is on one of the earlier lists as a working (well fixable chip) not sure what this program is supposed to say when its complete. other than complete!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's more likely that it's a contact problem than a new chip. Sometimes the paper/cardboard trick doesn't work. Best to return it either way.

-Bri

chall32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK - I've finally managed to get my hands back on the suspected fake card. Intermittent white screens on power on and a quick run of the FakeDetector.nds confirms its a fake. Stickers are slightly different (as pointed out on the forum here somewhere) too.

I've run FakeRecovery_v1.16a and flashed the ttmenu.dat from the zip downloaded here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086
Yep all up and running correctly, NDS boots every time and all expected working games are good.

Here's the rub - re-running FakeDetector.nds now states that the card is "good"

Hmmm... I wonder... If I run the official 1.16 menu now, will it re-"brick" itself or are we good forever?
blink.gif

Could this also be a source for further confusion - fakes being flashed to run the official menu without problems....?
blink.gif

Anyone else have a flashed fake now show up as "good" in the fake detector? Answers on a postcard....

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is weird, I haven't got the repaired dstt around, father in law has it, to see what fake detector .nds file comes up with.

You could try the official 1.16 firmware as a test, as you should be able to recover it again if it re-bricks.

chall32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yea - it re-bricks. Here's some piccys:

Rebricked:
unsure.gif

Photo-0098.jpg

Flashing Step 1:
Photo-0099.jpg

Flashing Step 2:
Photo-0100.jpg

Oh look it's good again!
Photo-0101.jpg

Joyous!
yaynds.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I'm not mistaken "This is broken" is not the message you get for a fake. I don't know what it means though.

But yours is probably a fake if it's getting killed by the fake-killer firmware, so either way it seems to be wrong ("Good!!" I believe does indicate a real DSTT).

The original post of these tools by niu says this:

QUOTE said:
The three not only to check work. (I do not have not confirmed)
EON EN29LV400AB
ATMEL AT49BV001A(N)T
INTEL INTEL 28F800B3B

I don't know what that means though.

-Bri

chall32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
If I'm not mistaken "This is broken" is not the message you get for a fake. I don't know what it means though.Interesting. Looking the cart over closely again, I can confirm it's a 100% it's a fake - fake 5 to be exact. It's got the PCB via hole to the right of and track running across the top of the uSD slot:
fake5.jpg

Bri said:
The original post of these tools by niu says this:
QUOTEThe three not only to check work. (I do not have not confirmed)
EON EN29LV400AB
ATMEL AT49BV001A(N)T
INTEL INTEL 28F800B3B
I don't know what that means though.
Neither do I!

@nui - I guess we know now that the tools work with an EON EN29LV400AB
wink2.gif

For what it's worth, this was 1 of 2 brought from DX (sku.10289) at exactly the same time, and is the only 1 of the 2 to have given any problems with the official 1.16 menu... I guess this just confirms how much it is "pot-luck" whether the cart you get is genuine or fake.

Now I know that I can recover the cart (twice!!) should something happen, I'm cool and the gang!

As has been said before, it's more than possible that the writing is already on the wall for the DSTT. Should a new firmware / menu release come along, I'm sure it wont take long for someone to remove the fakekiller code from that either anyway. Just look how quick these recovery tools have come into existence!

Ace of spades

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hey i'm a bit confused here. you see i bought a ttds from a computer market and it was in the right casing and everything for the real ttds but when i gave it a closer look at home it looked like it was a fake ttds so i didn't use the 1.16 firmware i just used the 1.14 and it worked fine but i just used the fake detector and it says "AMIC A29L400U (7F) Good!! (^^)v" i tried the readme to find out but the only things that werent in gibberish were the words "good!" and "this is broken." i'm pretty sure that it means that it's not a fake but i'm not too sure, and i really don't want to kill my ttds cause it's the only one i have and i don't have any money to buy a new one. can anyone reassure me weather this means it's fake or not? also it's the version of fakedetector that you can download off gbatemp.
Thanks.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chall32 said:
@nui - I guess we know now that the tools work with an EON EN29LV400AB
wink2.gif

It sounds to me like it doesn't work with an EON EN29LV400AB (it appears to detect it as "Good!!" when it shouldn't).

QUOTE(Ace of spades @ Jan 7 2009, 06:47 PM) i'm pretty sure that it means that it's not a fake but i'm not too sure, and i really don't want to kill my ttds cause it's the only one i have and i don't have any money to buy a new one. can anyone reassure me weather this means it's fake or not? also it's the version of fakedetector that you can download off gbatemp.

You can either open it up (the new one with the divot near the microSD slot should be snapped together rather than glued like the old ones), or you can look closely at the microSD slot and see if the metal holder inside is straight with scalloped edges (indicating a fake) or curved without scalloped edges (indicating real). See this post for more information: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1584543

Real or fake, you can just run the "safe" firmware on it and not worry about it: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086

-Bri

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new clones are probably made better now to fool the firmware check or whatever... who knows

The whole thing is kind of funny now, with so much confusion, it's by far the most interesting story in the 'flashcart' scene atm.
biggrin.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Post a picture of the insides of your DSTT and we may be able to help you determine if it's real. Also, make sure you're using DsttFlashChecker.nds [ver 0.01] (there is an older version under a different name that didn't detect as many chips and tended to return false positives if it wasn't certain yours was fake).

Either way, use the safe firmware on it just to be sure.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yup! There have been a lot of quality control problems with the real DSTT's as of late (seems to mostly be contact problems).

There are also compatibility issues with some games.

-Bri

Ethantim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone offer advice please?

I have 3 dstt from Focal point. All the slots are on the RHS as you look at the stickered front. One I've used for a month and works fine, the other 2 I've not used much yet- under a couple of hours each.

I'm terrified of damaging our 2 brand new consoles.

What should I do? Should I run the Fake detector? Will this change the TT card and 'Brick' it if it really is a fake?

Please forgive my ignorance I'm a technophobe Mum who'S trying hard to impress her Kids
smile.gif

Thank you for your help.

Ethantim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So Lolzed, what do you recommend? Shall I run the fake detector?

Okay so I've got another memory card, I'll put the fake detector file on to it, do I need anything else?

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmm,as I've never actually ran this,I think you'lljust need the sd card with the firmware with the fake detector of course,don't blame me if you accidentally brick your dstt/ds,i am simply helping,I can't be held responsible for this.though you should wait for someone more skilled,like Bri,I've seen him helping almost anyone who has a dstt problem

All right,i scanned through the pages(lol just the last page)and founr this:
Bri said:
Just to be clear, have you tried the following:[*]Reformat your microSD card using the Panasonic formatter.[*]Download the official 1.16 firmware but copy ONLY the TTMENU folder (NOT TTMENU.DAT) to your microSD card (the official TTMENU.DAT contains fake-killer code).[*]Download this archive here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086[*]Copy all 4 files from the archive to your microSD card (the TTMENU.DAT in the archive has the fake-killer code disabled).[*]Create a "games" folder on your microSD card. Place two games (.nds files) into the "games" folder.[*]Run "safely remove hardware", select your microSD reader from the list, and press STOP.[*]Remove your microSD card from your PC. Insert the microSD card into the DSTT which is inside your NDS and then turn on your NDS.[*]Run DsttFlashChecker.nds to see if you have a fake.[*]If you have a fake, run DsttFlashWriter.nds to restore it.[*]Run one of the games.If you find that your card is now working properly, you can delete DsttFlashChecker.nds, DsttFlashWriter.nds, and DSTTDUMP.BIN from your microSD card, but leave TTMENU.DAT.

Always make sure that you leave plenty of room on your microSD card for system files and save files. Make sure you ALWAYS use "safely remove hardware" to avoid corruption of your microSD card. Always make sure all your games are in a "games" folder and not on the root of your microSD card.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu