Hacking Fake or real Supercard DS One SDHC?

Praetorr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there guys, newcomer here.

I've had an R4 for years but decided to get my brother and I a couple Supercard DS One SDHC's from realhotstuff.

In the GBATemp review of it though, the packaging is very different from mine. And frankly, I'm kind of unimpressed with the build quality, it's not nearly as good as my R4's (which is a real V1).

Here are some pics of the packaging I received (excuse the large pics).

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3319/018jyb.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7652/019pit.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6637/020cun.jpg

And this is the package GBATemp got:

http://jph.gbatemp.net/SCDS1PackageInsidesLarge.png

If anyone could clue me in on what's gong on here I'd greatly appreciate it. At the moment I have a bad feeling that despire RHS's stellar reputation, I got a couple phonies.

Thank you so much, and I hope this is the right section for this topic.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The GBATEMP image you linked to is for the version 1 or so I think (pre SDHC as well), so the fact that it is different is not a surprise.

Judging by the card reader it looks to be a v3 or so SDHC Supercard DSone. As far as I can tell that should be the real deal. I bought a Supercard DSOne (the DSi version) and got almost the exact same setup. Only it came in a silver themed box and with the USB flasher and such as expected.

Though I will warn you on the USB MicroSD card reader...its crap. There's a good chance it will stop working after 3 days of use or so. It did for me. After 3 days of standard use it stopped working and WinXP just keeps saying it is malfunctioned and not recognized (I did try it on two different computers...same result)

So I tossed it to the bin and got a SDHC card reader from Wal-Mart for ten bucks. It has worked for almost two weeks. So the card reader provided with the SuperCards may crap out on you soon after using them.

Praetorr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's good to hear, thank you for the info Apache!

As for the card reader, that's unfortunate, but at this point I'll just be happy if I have a working and legitimate card lol.

Only irregularity I've found so far is that if I play GTA Chinatown Wars or Tony Hawk's Sk8land for a bit, turn off the system, and quickly (within a couple seconds) turn it back on, it will show the health screen and then go all white. From there it just stays white until I turn it off and back on.

If I turn it off under those same circumstances and give it a few extra seconds (5 - 7) though, it boots up fine and doesn't crash or hang. Is that normal? I'd heard about flashcard clones "white screening," but this isn't happening during gameplay.

Thanks again.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Not sure on that. I'm guessing you reset it too quickly and whatever was in memory remained causing the boot up to get bugged. But since I don't own a pre-SDHC SuperCard nor have played GTA/Tony Skateboard, I can't say for sure. My Supercard DSone-i has worked fine since the day I got it.

Praetorr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it is SDHC, but that's not important.

I think I'm just being paranoid though, so unless someone else disagrees that it's legit I'll try to calm down haha.

Thanks again.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Its legit. I have the exact same packaging for my Supercard SDHC and have experienced the white screens thing before although it seems to have stopped recently. Best way to overcome it is to click the DS card in and out before you turn the DS back on or just leave it longer.

Ba luck on getting a duff SD card reader Apache. Mine has been working perfectly in the 2 months I've had my Supercard. Its cheap but doesn't need to be uber good. It just needs to read SD cards.

Praetorr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fantastic to hear. It's not that I distrust Apache's opinion, but your first hand experience means a lot to me.

Sounds like I didn't get screwed afterall, I think I was just thrown off by the somewhat subpar Chinese craftsmanship. Thanks guys.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Bad luck I guess. Seems that there is no actual defect that is widespread as it looks like no one else got a bad card reader.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: