Hacking Question Factory Reset to remove traces of sx-os

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to mitigate a ban by restoring a "clean" backup is a bad practice, unless you haven't touched internet after backing it up, the logged information will differ from the ones Nintendo has on their servers and will most likely get you banned.
That is why it is best practice in those types of scenarios to make a NAND backup and stay offline until you need to go online. It is still not a viable long term option due to the limited amount of times you can write to the eMMC.

k3nnis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Draxzelex,

Do you mean if someone gets banned, that person can then restore their original NAND and it will enable them to play online again?

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is why it is best practice in those types of scenarios to make a NAND backup and stay offline until you need to go online. It is still not a viable long term option due to the limited amount of times you can write to the eMMC.
How many write cycles do you estimate the eMMC to have? Just curious btw

Ash4wd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to add my experience. I had SX os and was playing “backups” of botw and dk for a few weeks and ran minimal homebrew. I deleted my WiFi connection so it would stay offline. Yesterday I decided to go legit and I proceeded to reset the switch without deleting save data and formatted the memory card. I connected to WiFi and paid for and downloaded the games I was playing and the previous saves loaded right up. So far I have no issues and I am not banned. I even tried playing fortnite and paladins online. All is running smooth, and I hope it stays that way. So, in conclusion I think depending on how you modify your switch a reset may be all that’s needed to go back online.

Fadzly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Just to add my experience. I had SX os and was playing “backups” of botw and dk for a few weeks and ran minimal homebrew. I deleted my WiFi connection so it would stay offline. Yesterday I decided to go legit and I proceeded to reset the switch without deleting save data and formatted the memory card. I connected to WiFi and paid for and downloaded the games I was playing and the previous saves loaded right up. So far I have no issues and I am not banned. I even tried playing fortnite and paladins online. All is running smooth, and I hope it stays that way. So, in conclusion I think depending on how you modify your switch a reset may be all that’s needed to go back online.

how was it now?

captchronik17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought a switch a few days ago. Never connected to online, backed up nand before doing anything, updated to 5.1 using ChoiDujour and installed autoRCM. I've played nsp's and modded games with layeredFS. If I restore the nand I shouldn't have anything to worry about right? Other than if they can maybe detect RCM or injecting the payloads.

electronrancher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the tool called hekate to back up your nand. It saves it on SD card. If your SD card is not big enough, it saves it in parts so you can move them to PC in between each round of copying. It can take a while, several hours if your SD card is slow. You should still do it.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought a switch a few days ago. Never connected to online, backed up nand before doing anything, updated to 5.1 using ChoiDujour and installed autoRCM. I've played nsp's and modded games with layeredFS. If I restore the nand I shouldn't have anything to worry about right? Other than if they can maybe detect RCM or injecting the payloads.
There have yet to be any reports of a ban with a restored clean NAND here. That does not mean we can be 100% certain there will never be. There is always some risk becuase we don’t know what N knows and what evidence might still be left behind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: You infidel.