Facebook buys WhatsApp for $16 billion

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whatsapp is a great little app. Had it for a few years now. I dunno what its like elsewhere but at least over here in the UK a lot of people use Whatsapp on a daily basis. Pretty much everyone who I have a mobile contact number for in my phone has a whatsapp account. Does away with SMS costs and MMS costs etc and its very reliable and speedy.

Reactions: DaggerV

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatsapp is a great little app. Had it for a few years now. I dunno what its like elsewhere but at least over here in the UK a lot of people use Whatsapp on a daily basis. Pretty much everyone who I have a mobile contact number for in my phone has a whatsapp account. Does away with SMS costs and MMS costs etc and its very reliable and speedy.

That's right. I was one of them until I found out about Viber. Believe me, it is better than whatsapp.. Even my one friend in UK who had whatsapp also used Viber thanks to me but he still used Whatsapp because of their family whenever he travel. :)

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's right. I was one of them until I found out about Viber. Believe me, it is better than whatsapp.. Even my one friend in UK who had whatsapp also used Viber thanks to me but he still used Whatsapp because of their family whenever he travel. :)

But what does viber do that Whatsapp doesnt? I mean surely the uses of whatsapp are just messaging and sending and receiving media. It doesn't need to be anything else as thats what people want instant access to?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said: According to Viber site:

Viber for Windows lets you send free messages as well as make free calls to other Viber users, on any device and network, in any country!

Plus Viber for PC have VIDEO BETA for VIDEO CHAT.. It is almost great quality like facetime. It is available for Windows, Mac and is available for Bada users as well.

I used Viber for my Smartphone and PC and I absolutely loved it. Also, it have lots of funny smiley icons including beer icon and many more.

The main difference is that on voter you can call but on WhatsApp you can't...

Free for one year there after 99 cents per year, while viber is free. whatsapp has text only, while you can also do free calls on viber.

Whatsapp:
  • Supports iOS, Android, Blackberry, Nokia/Symbian, and Windows Phone
  • $0.99 (iOS), free 7 month trial, then $0.99 per year
  • Text chat
  • Group chat
  • Status messages
  • Voice messages
  • Broadcast messages
  • File transfers/MMS (images, video and audio)
  • Sharing location
Viber:

Viber is totally free for all the platforms. It doesn’t even offer advertisements like WhatsApp to make your user experience comfortable.

• Supports iOS, Android, Blackberry, Nokia/Symbian, and Windows Phone
  • Free
  • Voip calling (Voice Over Internet Protocol)
  • Text chat
  • Group chat
  • Location sharing
  • Picture sharing
  • Message popups

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It kills me that I'll never create a hip, happening app and get bought out for billions by Facebook or some other company. It's eating away at me.

I just want to be stupidly, obscenely wealthy, guys. Is that so much to ask for?

you going to die a poor man with out anything to mark that you lived on this planet.

but least you have pun going for you, which is nice.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
...what the fuck is WhatsApp? I don't really keep up with all these "Social messenger" type apps, since I can just, y'know, just text someone or call them.

From a quick google search, it's just a multi-platform messaging app...Which I was under the impression facebloop already had.

Meh, whatever. Doesn't sound like they're gonna fuck it up or anything, so I'm sure everyone will be happy.

PhillipDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Well, it's a very strange thing all in all. I've used WhatsApp for a few years now and have yet to actually pay for it :unsure:

It's something that you don't actually notice, but apparently the .99 gets taken off your phone's balance. It happens automatically on renewal date. Since it's a little less than a dolar you barely even notice when it happens =)

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's something that you don't actually notice, but apparently the .99 gets taken off your phone's balance. It happens automatically on renewal date. Since it's a little less than a dolar you barely even notice when it happens =)

The thing is, I don't have any cc linked with my account.. The renewal date has been updated when I've updated my app though no money has changed hands (ever)

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The thing is, I don't have any cc linked with my account.. The renewal date has been updated when I've updated my app though no money has changed hands (ever)

I always assumed they just charged it to your phone bill /prepaid as a regular call or mb comsuption.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't see why I should care about Whats app...
I'm using Skype on my phone and it's more than enough for texting and sending files.

If you want to text to American friends or a long distance friends somewhere in Europe.. Whatsapp or Viber is the best for free text to avoid the charge.

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you want to text to American friends or a long distance friends somewhere in Europe.. Whatsapp or Viber is the best for free text to avoid the charge.

That would be the same thing, though, as long as Skype/Viber have a internet connection (Be it mobile or Wifi), unless Viber does free texts in the air ...

Lots of apps do this already, Skype, Hangouts, etc ... Viber is quite good for allowing Video calls, but I really never understood the success of Whatsapp...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That would be the same thing, though, as long as Skype/Viber have a internet connection (Be it mobile or Wifi), unless Viber does free texts in the air ...

Lots of apps do this already, Skype, Hangouts, etc ... Viber is quite good for allowing Video calls, but I really never understood the success of Whatsapp...

WhatsApp doesn't require an additional account. Just have a number in your contacts and you can text them. That's one of the huge benefits for the app

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WhatsApp doesn't require an additional account. Just have a number in your contacts and you can text them. That's one of the huge benefits for the app

Hangouts does it now as well, I don't remember but I think Viber did that as well. Skype doesn't though, that's true.

So why Whatsapp has gained such popularity compared to Viber is beyond me, but well

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hangouts does it now as well, I don't remember but I think Viber did that as well. Skype doesn't though, that's true.

So why Whatsapp has gained such popularity compared to Viber is beyond me, but well
I haven't used Viber, but hangouts is a Google platform. That alone can push people away compared to WhatsApp, but I digress. Let's see what happens next!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong