Facebook Buys Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Uh huh.. he promised to cure cancer too? Don't give a rat's ass. FB is FB, fuck' em. When he delivers on those things then I'm sure it will be great. Either way not backing a company supported by FB, gonna have to start looking at Sony's piece of crap now :*(

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if it's close source, community-made/3rd party drivers are always an option. The only "software" part of the rift excluding the games is the driver, and like all PC software, easy to hack.

If even completely locked down consoles can end up getting hacked, the oculus will be hacked in a third the time or less.
Where's that Xbone controller driver if it's so simple then?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh huh.. he promised to cure cancer too? Don't give a rat's ass. FB is FB, fuck' em. When he delivers on those things then I'm sure it will be great. Either way not backing a company supported by FB, gonna have to start looking at Sony's piece of crap now :*(

"I don't care I like living in ignorance."

Okay buddy.

Reactions: gamefan5

Hydrazine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where's that Xbone controller driver if it's so simple then?

There IS a hacked PC driver recently released. And you can bet that if the Oculus gets locked down (doubt it), it'll be hacked even faster.

The reason the Xbone controller took some time is cause no one actually CARED about the Xbone controller. The 360 controller, DS3, and DS4 controllers all worth with PC already. The Xbone controller adds no functionality over the already existing ones. If the Oculus is locked down, people WILL CARE (Oculus already has a large following and it's not even out), and will put much more effort into hacking it.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Some so very much more than others.

Like I can see not liking Facebook because you don't like social networking but to say they're "evil" is a bit of a step.
I stand by my statement. It's my firm belief they are evil, due to their business ethics, practices and contractual agreements with some of the big dawgs in the gov't body, it's not just from a social network standpoint, I think those things have both pro's & cons, I'm not against it at all, I'm against how it's achieved and what happens on the sidelines to us haphazardly. I wouldn't claim it as ignorance not at this level.

I maybe ignorant to many other things, willfully and unknowingly so I keep an open mind, I will continue to take a back seat to OR since who they have partnered with goes against my beliefs (many others find facebook "creepy" as well lol) but deep down inside I still want OR to be a success, and I think they will be, unfortunately it just won't be with my dime.

D

Deleted-236924

Picture relevant to subject:

simpsons.png

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I can see them developing a version that can receive stereo 3D streams, probably with some sort of 360-live-view-cameras in sports, most notably something like basketball. At least, that's how I imagine them doing media. Of course, revenue would then be from advertisements injected into the stream, maybe something like augmented reality markers in-location that appear as billboards to viewers (imagine just a sort of beacon at the location; when the viewer looks this way, the Rift pulls an advertisement and projects it as a billboard in the distance).

I LOL'd at all the paranoid comments though. I mean, social media sites like Facebook can only have what you give them. Sure, they have algorithms that push and prod you to put more information in, but at the end of the day, it's all about what you put in there. Information isn't necessarily evil, it's what you do with it.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There IS a hacked PC driver recently released. And you can bet that if the Oculus gets locked down (doubt it), it'll be hacked even faster.

The reason the Xbone controller took some time is cause no one actually CARED about the Xbone controller. The 360 controller, DS3, and DS4 controllers all worth with PC already. The Xbone controller adds no functionality over the already existing ones. If the Oculus is locked down, people WILL CARE (Oculus already has a large following and it's not even out), and will put much more effort into hacking it.
I was wrong, time to commit sudoku. bye guys

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: