Original Oculus Quest will get Air Link feature in new update

quest 1.jpg

The Oculus Quest 2 won't be the only Oculus device getting the Air Link feature. After announcing the wireless PC VR option for the Quest 2 back in April, Mark Zuckerberg announced in a recent Facebook post that support for the feature will also come to the Oculus Quest 1:

zucc quote.JPG

Air Link for the original Oculus Quest will apparently come with the v30 update. However, there's no expected window officially announced for this update.

:arrow: SOURCE

twicefalles

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried Air Link on Quest 2 with PC Ethernet connection and Quest 2 connected with Wifi ax (perfect conditions) --> worked like shit even with fixed 10 mbps rate, how is this supposed to work?

shadoom

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Theres already a way to use air link on quest 1
It works fine in my wifi6 setup. It's more stable and easier than VirtualDesktop but the latency in VD is slightly better imho.
I'm glad they still support the quest 1 though.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I tried Air Link on Quest 2 with PC Ethernet connection and Quest 2 connected with Wifi ax (perfect conditions) --> worked like shit even with fixed 10 mbps rate, how is this supposed to work?

Maybe because it wasnt updated to work with wifi ax yet?

If i can use it with a 5ghz network perfectly fine, then maybe try using a 5ghz as well and see if it improves. Air link might be better suits for a 5ghz network. (i don't have any router that uses wifi ax / wifi 6, so cant test that)

Reactions: twicefalles

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe because it wasnt updated to work with wifi ax yet?

If i can use it with a 5ghz network perfectly fine, then maybe try using a 5ghz as well and see if it improves. Air link might be better suits for a 5ghz network. (i don't have any router that uses wifi ax / wifi 6, so cant test that)
this, it requires a really good router... which most people dont have. This is a big reason why streaming probably wont take off anytime soon.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wireless just doesn't work. Even a SLIGHT delay or bit of lag is extremely noticeable in VR, so unless you have a rock-solid high-speed wifi 24/7 it just ends up being a shitty experience, especially if you're trying to play any game that's slightly more intensive. Beat saber was entirely unplayable.

And that's with a PC that can easily play any VR game, and 5ghz wifi. The stars just have to align far too much, and constantly, for air link to work. Or you sit with your oculus pressed against your router which isn't useful in 90% of homes.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wireless just doesn't work. Even a SLIGHT delay or bit of lag is extremely noticeable in VR, so unless you have a rock-solid high-speed wifi 24/7 it just ends up being a shitty experience, especially if you're trying to play any game that's slightly more intensive. Beat saber was entirely unplayable.

And that's with a PC that can easily play any VR game, and 5ghz wifi. The stars just have to align far too much, and constantly, for air link to work. Or you sit with your oculus pressed against your router which isn't useful in 90% of homes.
im quite fussy with streaming, but using my quest 2 in the same room as my router I find half life alyx perfectly fine. I have a good router that gives me a stable connection and constant speeds, this is what almost everyone is missing.

Last edited by kevin corms,

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Well anyhow little tip:
Anyone with an Nvidia GPU has to change their Encode Bitrate to 0 in the Oculus Debug Tool otherwise it’s fully unusable

Also this is one of the rare cases where Dynamic in the Air Link settings works better than fixed for most

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well anyhow little tip:
Anyone with an Nvidia GPU has to change their Encode Bitrate to 0 in the Oculus Debug Tool otherwise it’s fully unusable

Also this is one of the rare cases where Dynamic in the Air Link settings works better than fixed for most
I think that is the default unless people play around with it, but also you NEED a good router. simply being wifi 6 or whatever isnt enough, the router needs to be rock solid. Most people are using something from their isp that just cant keep up with streaming. You can get something lie an Archer A6 and it will work well, especially if the router is dedicated for the streaming. A lot of routers give you good speed, but horrible latency... keep that in mind.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's owned by Facebook, it forces people to use Facebook, I don't care if its VR is so good its indistinguishable from real life, the fact that Facebook is forced on it means I'm not touching it

Mama Looigi

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
It's owned by Facebook, it forces people to use Facebook, I don't care if its VR is so good its indistinguishable from real life, the fact that Facebook is forced on it means I'm not touching it
Well it’s perfectly fair if it’s their own hardware

There are other brands anyway
Like Valve

Reactions: Quarions

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well it’s perfectly fair if it’s their own hardware

There are other brands anyway
Like Valve
Sadly there are no alternatives in the budget or standalone consumer market. And having a data colelctor like Facebook creating effectivly a monopoly in this area is not good for the consumer in the long turn.
Through since there is no alternative in this area (except for maybe buying older much worse hardware), its for many either facebook or no vr ^^'

Mama Looigi

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Sadly there are no alternatives in the budget or standalone consumer market. And having a data colelctor like Facebook creating effectivly a monopoly in this area is not good for the consumer in the long turn.
Through since there is no alternative in this area (except for maybe buying older much worse hardware), its for many either facebook or no vr ^^'
Well luckily there’s a few standalone headsets coming soon :3

The less lucky part is that they all either launched in China only so far, or that they’re by small new unknown companies which can... go multiple ways

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Any recommendations for an affordable router for it? I tried one of those TPLink ones recommended and it randomly disconnects me when using ALVR.

Bl4aze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Oculus Quest 2 won't be the only Oculus device getting the Air Link feature. After announcing the wireless PC VR option for the Quest 2 back in April, Mark Zuckerberg announced in a recent Facebook post that support for the feature will also come to the Oculus Quest 1:

Air Link for the original Oculus Quest will apparently come with the v30 update. However, there's no expected window officially announced for this update.

:arrow: SOURCE

WOOOOOO

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm so confused, people give google and amazon a free pass for doing exactly the same thing.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well luckily there’s a few standalone headsets coming soon :3

The less lucky part is that they all either launched in China only so far, or that they’re by small new unknown companies which can... go multiple ways
If you are concerned about data collection, you sadly just have to give up all new games now.

Any recommendations for an affordable router for it? I tried one of those TPLink ones recommended and it randomly disconnects me when using ALVR.
I don't have a current router, but the modem I have from my provider uses a Broadcom BCM3390 chipset, which has been rock solid for me. The devices that use intel puma chipsets are garbage for streaming and/or online gaming.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm so confused, people give google and amazon a free pass for doing exactly the same thing.

If you are concerned about data collection, you sadly just have to give up all new games now.

I don't have a current router, but the modem I have from my provider uses a Broadcom BCM3390 chipset, which has been rock solid for me. The devices that use intel puma chipsets are garbage for streaming and/or online gaming.
I'm not giving Google and Amazon a free pass, for example I stopped using Gmail in the past and moved to my own mail server. Also don't use many of their other services like gdrive, Google docs, or their voice assistant.
But I still use some of their services, like the search engine, youtube and the playstore.

Also why would you need to give up all new games?

Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra,
Reactions: kevin corms

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over