OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Apple1.png

With steadily increasing sales, Apple now has enough cash to buy the entire mobile phone industry, except for Samsung, at least if this estimate is to be trusted.

According to recent estimates, Apple is expected to have about $70 billion in Cash, Cash Equivalents, Short-term marketable securities and long-term Marketable Securities. This money is used for running the company and making investments, which can include acquisitions. If the company were interested in substantially expanding its market share, just how much of the mobile phone industry would it be able to purchase?

In order to answer that question, this study looks at the market value of Apple’s main competitors. That’s roughly how much those companies would likely be sold for.

Samsung’s mobile division is the highest valued, standing at $50 billion; followed by HTC at $25.4 billion; Nokia at $22.6 billion; RIM at $13.8 billion; Motorola at $4.2 billion; and lastly Sony Ericsson at $3 billion. Most of those companies, which have seen declining sales over the last few years, will likely have their value decreased, while Apple keeps skyrocketing.

In short, Apple would be able to buy up all of its competitors at once, aside from Samsung (which, ironically, the company is currently suing), and give itself an immediate market share boost. The graphic below above really shows how dominant the Cupertino company has become.

The study concludes:

The more remarkable thing is that as market values of phone vendors continue to decline, Apple’s cash will continue to grow dramatically. Indeed, a time may soon come when Apple’s cash will be worth more than the entire phone industry.

The more remarkable thing is that as market values of phone vendors continue to decline, Apple’s cash will continue to grow dramatically. Indeed, a time may soon come when Apple’s cash will be worth more than the entire phone industry.

At first, this date might appear staggering at first, but this study seems to miss an important fact: while companies like Motorola or Nokia only sell handsets, Apple sells computers and several other consumer devices as well, which have largely contributed to the amount of money the company has earned over the years. While the iPhone is certainly one of its most popular products, Mac sales have actually increased dramatically over the last few years, with many buyers being new to the Mac platform.

What would happen if Apple bought up the whole phone industry? Most likely, anti-trust regulators would put a stop to such a move, since Jobs’ company would become a monopoly with many brands all over the world that would quickly phase into just one.

There also wouldn’t be much of a point in buying most of these brands. With their declining value, Apple will likely be better off building market share on its own, like it’s been doing. The company tends to only buy companies for the value of their products, not market share. Rather than buying its way up, Apple tends to assimilate talent and move forward as one.[/p]

arrow.gif
Source

I'd go insane if that happened.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alex_32571 said:
They wouldn't be allowed to buy everyone. So don't worry about it.
I know that, the US government wouldn't allow such an trust-like act. I'm just saying in the alternate reality where that happens, I'd go insane.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if that is just the Apple mobile division taken into account or the value of Apple as a whole. The article seems to imply the later. Meanwhile for the others it clearly says mobile division.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's one thing this estimate completely forgets about. Target Audiences.

Anyone who's technologically inclined would rather lean towards the Andriod crowd due to the basically limitless capabilities of Open Source and a variety of hardware options to choose from.

A typical customer who just wants a "cool phone" will fall for the Apple Trap and buy obselete hardware.

As we already know, 95% of the population are retarded morons, hence Apple's great profits.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
NiGHtS said:
Why does everyone hate Apple?

(Ironically I'm using a Macbook Pro, love it
tongue.gif
)

Over priced old hardware with a limited OS but pretty. Exactly the same reasons some people love Apple TBH.

You pay for what you get. (Ipod, Computer and laptops, not on about mobile devices)

And limited OS? Mobile OS, ok maybe limited, but OS X = limited? Not a chance.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
NiGHtS said:

tongue.gif
)

Because they use obselete hardware on purpose to create and announce newer versions of their products no later than next year, because they boasted about their CPU's being faster than Intel's in the nineties just to jizz their pants about having a Macbook with an Intel processor a few years later, because they're overpricing their "inventions", because they're purposely locking down some capabilities power-users would find useful, because you need to sign every single form in the universe to get something as simple as an update, because they treat jailbreaking a device you OWN as a crime similar to the holocaust, I could really go on, man.

A half-eaten apple is not something you'd like to eat. A half-decent laptop/desktop/phone is not something you buy.

QUOTEOS X = limited? Not a chance.

I think I cried a little as I was smiling. This means the sentence was so hillarious that it brought me to tears. Congratulations.

apple-vs-pc-comic.jpg

Hydreigon

Isn't that DELICIOUS!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Apple can't buy out the entire mobile industry; there are laws to prevent that from happening.

Foxi4 said:
NiGHtS said:

tongue.gif
)

Because they use obselete hardware on purpose to create and announce newer versions of their products no later than next year, because they boasted about their CPU's being faster than Intel's in the nineties just to jizz their pants about having a Macbook with an Intel processor a few years later, because they're overpricing their "inventions", because they're purposely locking down some capabilities power-users would find useful, because you need to sign every single form in the universe to get something as simple as an update, because they treat jailbreaking a device you OWN as a crime similar to the holocaust, I could really go on, man.

A half-eaten apple is not something you'd like to eat. A half-decent laptop/desktop/phone is not something you buy.

QUOTEOS X = limited? Not a chance.

I think I cried a little as I was smiling. This means the sentence was so hillarious that it brought me to tears. Congratulations.

-snip-
I almost choked when I saw that pic.
rofl.gif

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
NiGHtS said:

tongue.gif
)

Perhaps some of that is right with the phones.

But with their computer machines? Not likely.

I'm a power user of Photoshop, Maya, Final Cut and everything else to do with Animation and graphics, and working on a Macbook Pro with those programs is just SO much better than doing it on a Windows Machine.

The performance I'm getting from 4GB RAM (Latest MBP) on Photoshop far surpasses the performance I got from a Windows Vista Desktop with 6GB RAM, bought as a middle/high end model in 2010.

Ok sure a half a years difference but that SHOULDN'T matter.

Also in my history of using numerous computer systems Microsoft has always felt like an archaic piece of bull.
Don't even get me started on Vista, the numerous shitty updates, the number of security protocols needed, Internet Explorer(although this doesnt count because different browsers are everywhere), and the performance levels on everyday machines.

Perhaps Apple products ARE a bit pricey, but it's a thing of beauty to behold and the experience of using one is just too good to let go of after. I havn't found a single thing to nitpick on this Macbook pro of mine, which I've now had for a month.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, because I hate the iPhone models before the 4. I hate the Shuffle, I hate the AppleTv system and I especially hate the cost and quality of their shitty first party accessories.

But you cant knock a lot of their GOOD stuff either.

Also I'm not trolling on you lol, but it winds me up when most of this board is so 'Apple suck my dick. Apple eat my turd. Apple this, Apple that.'

Microsoft are no better.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
And just before I get trolled at for something or the other, Windows 7 IS a brilliant system, dont get me wrong.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
NiGHtS said:
Perhaps some of that is right with the phones.

But with their computer machines? Not likely.

I'm a power user of Photoshop, Maya, Final Cut and everything else to do with Animation and graphics, and working on a Macbook Pro with those programs is just SO much better than doing it on a Windows Machine.

The performance I'm getting from 4GB RAM (Latest MBP) on Photoshop far surpasses the performance I got from a Windows Vista Desktop with 6GB RAM, bought as a middle/high end model in 2010.

Ok sure a half a years difference but that SHOULDN'T matter.

Also in my history of using numerous computer systems Microsoft has always felt like an archaic piece of bull.
Don't even get me started on Vista, the numerous shitty updates, the number of security protocols needed, Internet Explorer(although this doesnt count because different browsers are everywhere), and the performance levels on everyday machines.

Perhaps Apple products ARE a bit pricey, but it's a thing of beauty to behold and the experience of using one is just too good to let go of after. I havn't found a single thing to nitpick on this Macbook pro of mine, which I've now had for a month.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, because I hate the iPhone models before the 4. I hate the Shuffle, I hate the AppleTv system and I especially hate the cost and quality of their shitty first party accessories.

But you cant knock a lot of their GOOD stuff either.

Also I'm not trolling on you lol, but it winds me up when most of this board is so 'Apple suck my dick. Apple eat my turd. Apple this, Apple that.'

Microsoft are no better.

How much did you spend on that high-end Macbook? Because I bet my shorts that I could find you a mindblowing Win7 laptop that'd do all the things mentioned above at such a high-performance that the FLOPS would blow your shoes off.

EDIT: *GASP!* Ninja'd me about 7. Darn it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: