EZFlash Redux. New 3ds flash cart?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by FAST6191, Nov 12, 2016.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    http://www.ezflash.cn/product/ez-flash-redux/
    Images from the link
    ezr-1-740x492.jpg
    ezr-2-740x492.jpg

Features

The first MicroSD card side plug design in the market
    Support all region 3DS console up to v10.7
    Firmware upgradable
    Multi-ROM support
    A9LH compatible
    SDHC/SDXC support, maximum capacity up to 128GB
    FAT32/exFAT support
    SysNAND backup
    EmuNAND support
    Homebrew compatible
    EZ-FLASH decades quality guarantee

Saw it mentioned on IRC and found that on their main site.
    http://www.gateway-3ds.net/ez-flash-redux-flashcart-supports-3ds-up-to-v107-for-3ds-roms.html has them listed at £35. Current rates are not favourable for GBP but that is around $45 US, 40 Euros and 60 Australian. http://fxtop.com/en/currency-converter.php if you need others.

The "Support all region 3DS console up to v10.7" is probably of interest as it presumably means it is exploit based rather than something like the sky3ds, though if nothing else the features it claims

Anyway for those unaware the EZFlash team have been making flash carts since the GBA (for instance here is a review of their second flash cart that was posted in 2004 http://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-2-powerstar-512-review.22929/ ). For the most part they have been pretty good, if not some of the best at the time. What goes here with the 3ds now such a custom firmware dominated world I am not sure (maybe it is easier to swap out than messing with NAND images?), still worth sharing though.

I imagine GBAtemp will find one to play with from somewhere but for the meantime just some info.

2. NazoXIII

NazoXIII Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2008
    United States
    Hmm, if it works as advertised, this will be a gateway killer at half the price!

I've heard nothing bad about EZ Flash since the GBA days, glad to see they've made a comeback.

3. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    I imagine this is just another Gateway clone. "up to 10.7" is probably to downgrade, like Gateway Time Machine. now I wonder if you'd use GW's payloads (at the risk of a brick), modified ones, or entirely custom software.

4. ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    Interesting, at that price point it's comparable to primary Homebrew entrypoints for some regions.

5. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    $45 to play cci's instead of cia's. That's what it comes down to.
    I guess EZflash thinks people still believe you need a flashcard to play free games on 3ds. They're probably right.

migles and ihaveamac like this.
  6. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    I called it!

7. ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    I really hope this doesn't have any chips sticking out like the ez flash v did.

yuyuyup likes this.
  8. Mr Skinner

Mr Skinner Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2010
    Brazil
    Bananna Land.
    I am an unconditional fan of EZFLASH products. It was the dominant quality brand in the GBA generation, but that let the ball fall right into the final stretch of Generation 3ds, which was one of the pioneers in Flashcarts with EZFLASH V. I even was among the winners of a skin competition.

However I think unfortunately it was too late. As stated in the initial topic, no extra attraction, which the oldest in the market has not already improved. Let's have faith ... Maybe they will not help in a way to improve the hardmoded scenario as it was the initial features of the gateway.

9. CreAtor135

CreAtor135 GBATemp's #1 Nothing

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Ikeb, Ukuro
    Yeah most likely another Gateway clone. If not, this at least looks pretty good, but they really are a bit late to the 3DS scene.

10. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    10.7 or lower. Guessing it just downgrades? Seems like either a Gateway clone, or something equally pointless.

11. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    you don't know if its a clone or not.

12. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    It has to be a clone
    That sounds like a gateway card doesn't it?
    Unless they made a new exploit for the 3ds that works up to 10.7 which then that would be not a clone.

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I really hope it's not just a Gateway clone.
    On the hardware side, it seems like a well designed cart. I don't see any bulges on the sticker from protruding chips (though the first image is slightly blurry so it's hard to say for sure, on the Gateway the cutouts were obvious, in part thanks to the crappy stickers) and the back and MicroSD slot is solid plastic unlike the Gateway cart which has a cutout for a metal MicroSD slot. Seems much better designed than the Gateway. Edit: Looking more closely at the sticker, I can see faint vertical lines to the left and right of the logo that suggest there might be a protruding chip underneath there. :unsure:

I just hope they are not falling into the same trap SuperCard did, if they just clone/modify the Gateway Launcher.dat then the cart is doomed to be short lived and result in bricks. There are more than enough open source projects they could look at (and hopefully not just clone with minor changes) and information on 3DBrew to learn how to do it properly, and a proper effort by a well renowned flashcart team could even surpass those open source projects.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Nov 12, 2016
  14. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    For now they have the benefit of the doubt. Granted everybody does until proven otherwise but this is a real flash cart maker with years of experience and actual hackers and coders, the only clones I have seen them involved in were when they themselves stuck an R4 named thing onto the market.

For 10.7 then as far as I am aware (which is basically I watched the c3 presentation with smea talking in it) the exploits are pretty multi layered. It is all well and good exploiting a game but if you can't then punch through the hypervisor and get into the juicy system calls then you are limited in what goes.

On the compatible, backup and support features then they have been doing it long enough to go find a list of complaints and commonalities in desired usages to make a little checklist.

15. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    So is SuperCard and they shoved a Gateway clone towards us.

16. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    It's a gateway clone. Nothing more, nothing less.

17. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    True, and even though it says side loading it is just 8 pins still going to roughly the same place that you get to account for should they have decided to get their clone on so that does not count for much.

I await the PCB shots and analysis of the downloads (presently absent on the site) too, however I felt it worth saying that the company are, or at least were, the real deal.

18. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    ???
    [​IMG]

19. Normmatt

Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

Dec 14, 2004
    New Zealand
    supports sysnands up to 10.7 .... sounds like they have a new exploit... as even ntrcardhax was patched in 10.3 ... unless they want people to downgrade to 9.x/10.2

Billy Acuña likes this.
  20. JCR1

JCR1 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2011
    Mexico
    maybe just automates the procedure of downgrade, first downgrading then using otpless using their own gui, and the multirom maybe a list in screen.