EZ-Flash Vi Problem?

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by _Chaz_, Mar 19, 2012.

Mar 19, 2012

EZ-Flash Vi Problem? by _Chaz_ at 6:47 PM (907 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. _Chaz_
    OP

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I'm sure some of us remember that skinning contest we had a while ago to win prizes including some EZ-Flash Vi carts. Well, It's been quite a while, and I never thought I'd actually use mine, but after finding it was 3DS compatible, I decided to give it a shot.

I'm not one of those people who put it in the 3DS and said "Y U NO WERK!?", I put it in my DS (phat) in an attempt to update the firmware to the latest version first. However, I ran into a slight problem...

Upon booting up the cartridge, I'm presented with a black screen. No movement, just... black. I've tried this with and without a MicroSD inside, and I get the same results, so I'm fairly certain it's the cart. I've had this problem out of the packaging, so I know it's not something I did to it.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, is there something I can do to remedy it?

2. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Dang, that's messed up. You win, but not really! You are performing the update correctly. You need 3.0 OB7 kernel and firmware 101 put inside the 'EZ5SHELL' folder. After that you can update to firmware 108, which also gets placed inside the 'EZ5SHELL'.

3. _Chaz_
    OP

United States
    I know the files I need to update it and such, but I can't get the cartridge to boot, that's my problem.

4. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Oh ok, then you have a major problem with "faulty hardware." You could use the unbricker and see if it remedies your problem? I think you need ez flash unbricker v1.01

5. _Chaz_
    OP

United States
    That would require me to have another flashcart, one capable of running the unbricker homebrew. This is something I don't have...

I kinda feel a bit cheated, receiving a defective unit right out of the package.

6. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    Your collector ez5i is probably using a very old firmware, probably the v15.
    Follow this :
    - backup your microsd and format it in FAT if it's a 1GB/2GB or in FAT32 if it's a 4GB or better.
    - download and decompress this file in the microsd's root : http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=12017
    - do the same with the kernel 3.0ob7 : http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=26564
    - run the v101 nds file and follow the instructions. Once the update done download the last firmware updater, the v108a : http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=26992 and run the update.

Now your ez5i is up to date. you should see the sudoku icon and you can run it on 3DS. ;)

Ps : use your ds to update your ez5i.

7. _Chaz_
    OP

United States
    I managed to fix it. It turns out it was bricked... Right out of the box.

I got a friend to lend me his flashcart and loaded up the latest unbricker. Everything went smoothly from there.

8. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    Indeed a faster way to go to the firmware v108. ;)