External HardDrive, ISO's and rev14?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by soulx, Mar 27, 2010.

Mar 27, 2010
  1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I'm planning to purchase the Iomega Prestige 1TB HardDrive. I did my research and it seems to work well. I'm planning on installing USB Loader GX to play games put on the harddrive.

I'm relatively new to the 'Wii pirating scene'. What is the standard of way of utilizing a patch when somebody creates one for a game? How would I go about installing it?

Obviously, I know not to ask for specific links to sites that host Wii ISO's or torrent sites. Anyways, where do most people download their games? Torrents? Usenet? Direct MegaUpload Downloads?

Also, what exactly is rev14? Thanks!

2. Davess

Member Davess On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)

Canada
    To answer the Pirate question, read the bold.

The first question, There'll be 20 Newbie topics on how, why, how to for any new game.

Edit: Rev (X) Is Cios, (Custom ios) used by homebrew, and backups.

3. soulx
    OP

Canada
    Thanks, Davess.

Also, what is rev14? Do they have iso's that can brick your Wii like they have roms that can brick your DS? If so, what can I do to avoid them? Any other tips when using a USB Loader?

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Well, you usually download the patched game, or you download the normal one and use some instructions that come with the patch [​IMG]

Sometimes it's even easier and it's simply a cIOS or Loader update that does the trick [​IMG]

Different people use different methods to download games. I don't think there's a major group. I personally get Direct links (with JDownloader) myself (faster and safer) [​IMG]

rev14 is the revision number of the cIOS you need to install (although I'd recommend rev17 myself)

An ISO on it's own can't brick your wii. The only "dangerous" thing about them are the system menu updates, which can brick it bad cases (like wrong region).
    Updates can be blocked (Priiloader / Any Backup loader) or removed (Most USB loaders do that, as well as WiiScrubber)

5. soulx
    OP

Canada
    Okay. Thanks for the quick response Davess and tj_cool.

Now, I just need to purchase the hard-drive from Amazon and I'm all set! [​IMG]

6. Davess

Member Davess On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)

Canada
    No Problem [​IMG]