Experience Android on your Switch, with the first publicly released version of LineageOS 15.1

https___pbs.twimg.com_media_D9.jpg

Being true to their promise, switchroot has released their highly anticipated method of bringing Android to your Nintendo Switch console. This marks the first public release of LineageOS 15.1, and is based on a build of Android that runs on the Nvidia Shield TV. By flashing the installation image to your micro SD card, you can use Android 8.1 Oreo on the Switch, in both handheld and docked mode. Some of the features include audio support, allowing the Joy-Cons to connect through bluetooth, offering CPU and GPU performance profiles, and more.

As this is a beta release, you should be aware that there are a few bugs. Some notable issues are that sleep mode battery life is lacking, certain apps have problems with being controlled with the Joy-Cons, the screenshot function is disabled, wifi can be spotty, and a few other quirks.

If you're interested in playing around with this release, you can follow the instructions below to get started, with the download links being available in the source.

LineageOS 15.1 for Nintendo Switch by switchroot. This is the first publicly available Android ROM for the Nintendo Switch. Based on the Nvidia Shield TV builds it brings a smooth and powerful Android experience to your Switch in both handheld and docked mode.
  1. Pick the image that corresponds to the size of your SD card. You can use an image that is smaller than your card. You’ll end up with the remaining space unused on your card.
  2. Write the image to your SD card with e.g. balenaEtcher Do not extract the image, Etcher can handle the compressed image just fine! WARNING: This will overwrite any contents on your card! The progress bar/percentage might go haywire in Etcher, but you can ignore that. The flashing will still work and Etcher will let you know when it’s done. It can take up to an hour depending on your SD card’s speed. Also make sure not to format any of the partitions when Windows prompts you to after flashing.
  3. Download GApps for Android 8.1. from OpenGApps, use ARM64. Put the file on the first partition of your new SD card
  4. If desired download the "Shield-ifier" zip and place it also on the SD card. This will make your Switch identify as Nvidia Shield TV and install the Nvidia app.
  5. Load hekate and boot to TWRP by holding VOL+ when you select the Android config.
  6. Flash GApps zip, optionally flash other zips
  7. Reboot to hekate and boot into Android
  8. Complete the inital setup. For the Nvidia app to work make sure to update it from Play Store!

:arrow: Source

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
Joy cons aren't working at all, anyone else having problems.
Cheers

Someone mentioned this 2 pages back:

Go to settings, bluetooth. Pull the joycons out of the rails, use the sync button between the bumpers. The joycon lights will continue to move up and down even when its paired, look at the bluetooth settings for when the pairing is complete. Once synced they will remain so even if you slide them back into the rails, they always communicate wirelessly.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For FTP - Disable Bluetooth. Seems to stay connected more. You will still have Connection Issues at times. However, I think there is a Limit to how many Files you can send at 1 time. Tried sending a Folder with 3,485 Files in it, but it only showed a countdown of around 60 Items.

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anybody wondering I tried out ps4 remote play and it works but there is no way to officially pair the joy cons with it. So you have to use a ps4 controller or touch controls. Unless if somebody knows an unofficial way to do it.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I startup the Android version, I get 2 Errors
NVIDIA has Stopped - Thinking the App is having Issues
Process System isn't responding - ?????

When I try to run NVIDIA Games, it keeps Closing

Liv2MsTrb8T

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
grevsev.artstation.com
XP
Country
United States
Held a flash light to my screen A few hours ago and noticed that the screen actually wakes up after hitting the power button. Instantly but on 0% until it feels like waking at 51%

Enabling adaptive brightness fixes that wanabee bug. I hate adaptive brightness but now I know why the system wakes to 51% brightness instead of 100.

Edit: This is also what l4t is doing except I don't have adaptive brightness to save my ass.

Last edited by Liv2MsTrb8T,

phillyrider807

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anybody wondering I tried out ps4 remote play and it works but there is no way to officially pair the joy cons with it. So you have to use a ps4 controller or touch controls. Unless if somebody knows an unofficial way to do it.

Did u get it to work through the app itself? Or are u using the pc remote play then streaming it to the switch using moonlight?

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
idk if someone come first, but here's my idea.

setup this and install rekado. use duo type-c send payload to another switch.

nice, now we can use switch to "hack" switch:ph34r:

VampireOniX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
L4T being linux should be compatible with GPT so you can try, put FAT32 first, then a GPT table with all androids partition, then a ext4 partition.
flash this android image first, then use a GPT compatible manager to add a new partition at the end and make it ext4, or write the linux partition of the l4t full image to the end of androids partitions.
but you'll have to edit L4T file to boot the proper partition. Maybe placing ext4 the second one before Android is better so you don't need to edit l4t boot file.

you might not be able to use the card for Stock or MMC as it requires MBR. or maybe hekate can boot MMC with a GPT fat32, as it can read it for android, then only stock will not be possible without using non conventional MBR fallback table.

Excellent! I literally have an sdcard lying around doing nothing. I have a 256 for horizon and homebrew already. So ive been meaning to setup L4T on the 128 and with this, I am glad i waited to try and experiment. Thank you. Whenever I have time I'll try it to see if I can get it to work together.

Reactions: Cyan

phillyrider807

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by phillyrider807,

switchnell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Not working for me. Followed the guide and still get the error when loading the remote play app. Are u using the official app directly from the playstore or did u sideload a apk?
I had the same problem. It worked after hiding Magisk Manager itself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Same here. I will wait if anyone comes up with a solution/workaround on this.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if Pokémon Masters can run on this. I don't have a phone capable of running it though so not sure how that game works or what kind of DRM it has that might interfere with it running on a custom Android OS (plus it's not released yet outside of China which only got like a beta/demo release or something? )... Would be interesting. I'm curious about the game, but I doubt my Samsung S3 Mini from 2013 will run that game well. (plus it's a tiny screen so wouldn't be enjoyable to play it on that anyways. :P )

I'm hoping they get proper communication with the Joy-Cons working though. Joy-Cons have same issue as on PC regarding the analog sticks. Only does digital d-pad style input. That kinda sucks.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if Pokémon Masters can run on this. I don't have a phone capable of running it though so not sure how that game works or what kind of DRM it has that might interfere with it running on a custom Android OS (plus it's not released yet outside of China which only got like a beta/demo release or something? )... Would be interesting. I'm curious about the game, but I doubt my Samsung S3 Mini from 2013 will run that game well. (plus it's a tiny screen so wouldn't be enjoyable to play it on that anyways. :P )

havent tried this on the switch, but afaik if google play services play nice with the switch as a tablet, it should be no issue. From there it would probably be a question of how much hardware gpu acceleration the drivers on this android build gets out of the switch.

to anybody trying this, does FE heroes work on this? (it be a pretty interesting indicator that google play services is playing nice with it) it be pretty cool if it did. just curious.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

grootus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, experimenting with the Dock......

USB Mouse works.
USB Drive Formatted FAT 32 will not come up. Anyone get this working????????

USB drives work with dock. I have a 4TB hard drive connected to the USB 3.0 port on the dock.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Quick question. Has anyone tried the Android TV launcher with this version of Android?

TV launcher v3.1.1 and HALauncher v2.0.3.0 both work. Currently have TV launcher replace the default launcher.

Reactions: LightyKD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work