• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

ESG scores

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What's esg?
Environmental, Social and Governance score. What the OP is probably referring to is the latest Sweet Baby Inc. controversy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental,_social,_and_corporate_governance

To cut a long story short, companies are generally incentivised to have those matters under consideration as they operate. As such, they often hire consultancy firms which “help them improve” their practices and their products. The way that translates to video games is, for instance, narrative consulting. The reason why this might be important to a studio is because eligibility for certain awards, grants etc. may be contingent on certain levels of diversity as far as the cast is concerned, subject matter etc. Many people consider those to be perverse incentives that affect the creative vision of the creators.

Reactions: Xzi and Korak-

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not just politics and games that ESG is ruining...

dEtcAD5.jpeg

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Environmental, Social and Governance score. What the OP is probably referring to is the latest Sweet Baby Inc. controversy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental,_social,_and_corporate_governance

To cut a long story short, companies are generally incentivised to have those matters under consideration as they operate. As such, they often hire consultancy firms which “help them improve” their practices and their products. The way that translates to video games is, for instance, narrative consulting. The reason why this might be important to a studio is because eligibility for certain awards, grants etc. may be contingent on certain levels of diversity as far as the cast is concerned, subject matter etc. Many people consider those to be perverse incentives that affect the creative vision of the creators.
Seems like kind of a non-issue since that's the same thing PR firms have been doing since always. Make big corpos seem like they give a damn so that they don't actually have take actions which prove that they do.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Seems like kind of a non-issue since that's the same thing PR firms have been doing since always. Make big corpos seem like they give a damn so that they don't actually have take actions which prove that they do.
Depends on how you look at things. ESG scores aren’t just a nice little metric that tells you your company’s non-discriminatory, they’re tied to big business and investment capital. They’re most definitely a perverse incentive which *can*, in a roundabout way, affect a creator’s vision. Microsoft’s GameDev portal famously had an entire tick list of “suggested” depictions of gender, down to the level of percentage distribution, and that’s simply not always feasible depending on the setting. By far the most egregious example was the list of requirements to be nominated for a BAFTA award - as you might imagine, the majority of the list had nothing to do with how good the product was, but rather consisted of various points regarding representation and, curiously, company structure. Now, I don’t know about you, but I don’t think a video game, which ultimately *is* an art form, is any better or worse based on how many division heads in the company happen to be the right sex or the right colour. It’s not innocuous, but then again, we had this discussion before in regards to Affirmative Action in general. As a person who finds quotas de facto discriminatory I have to raise an eyebrow when an excellent video game is not eligible for an award because it doesn’t strictly follow some kind of diversity guideline, or when a developer faces issues in terms of getting their game published because their employees aren’t the right shade of tan.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
What's GBAtemp's ESG score?
0.1%

Environment: gaming is a huge generator of frivolous e-waste.
Social: the forum is 99% trans girls and femboys, no diversity at all.
Governance: mods are biased and immature.

Give me money.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0.1%

Environment: gaming is a huge generator of frivolous e-waste.
Social: the forum is 99% trans girls and femboys, no diversity at all.
Governance: mods are biased and immature.

Give me money.
Larry Fink doesn't like nuclear power. You better hate nuclear energy.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know what ESG is and I am not looking them up. Considering I only pirate games and mostly play older games, I don’t care.
It's not just games they're sneaking into, banks, too.

Some even started offering the "feature" of Track Your Carbon Footprint.

I tell ya where they can shove that feature...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's not just games they're sneaking into, banks, too.

Some even started offering the "feature" of Track Your Carbon Footprint.

I tell ya where they can shove that feature...
Imma be real with you, I was an activist my entire life until recently and I am tired and not willing to pick up another thing to be mad about. If I find something that I don’t like, then I speak with my wallet/engagement. Being mad isn’t worth the effort anymore

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Imma be real with you, I was an activist my entire life until recently and I am tired and not willing to pick up another thing to be mad about. If I find something that I don’t like, then I speak with my wallet/engagement. Being mad isn’t worth the effort anymore
This might be a tough pill to swallow, but @The Catboy is right. If you genuinely think that these practices are damaging then the only sensible way to combat them is to stop buying the slop they generate. The problem with this approach is that the amount of money withheld would have to be larger than the amount of capital investment companies do get by adhering to guidelines. We’re reaching a point where media is generated for nobody to actually enjoy - an interesting paradox.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This might be a tough pill to swallow, but @The Catboy is right. If you genuinely think that these practices are damaging then the only sensible way to combat them is to stop buying the slop they generate. The problem with this approach is that the amount of money withheld would have to be larger than the amount of capital investment companies do get by adhering to guidelines. We’re reaching a point where media is generated for nobody to actually enjoy - an interesting paradox.
I finally did something right and I passed @Rydian in post count. I can finally retire from being a menace on the Temp

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No thanks, I have better things to do with my life. Strongly suggest you reconsider what you're doing with yours as well, especially if you won't even back up the beliefs you seem to feel so strongly about.
It's not my "BeLiEfS" but you keep that attitude.
Post automatically merged:

Here's one:

You wanna tell me this is about this about the environment? Horseshit! It's about scamming people!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto