Hardware Epic Games can't allow Unreal Engine to run on 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceptile95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
During an online Game Developers Conference interview with Joystiq Mark Rein, the vice president at Epic Games, didn't sound too keen on the technical specifications of the 3DS. Declaring that the studio isn't working on any upcoming titles for the Nintendo handheld, he explained that:

It's below our [minimum specifications], from what we can tell. We don't have a 3DS, so there's no way for us to verify that... but everything we've been led to believe is that it's below our min-spec. You couldn't do a game that looks like [Epic Citadel] on it, for example.

Epic Citadel is developed for various iOS devices and is more of a technology demo that shows off Epic Games' Unreal Engine than a full game, with the latest engine build standing at version 3. In-house productions include games like Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War 2, but the engine has also been used by other developers in games like Batman: Arkham Asylum, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, and Singularity.

With no plans to develop a less resource-heavy version of the engine for other studios to use, Rein has little reason to make any games for the 3DS although he does note that that situation could change if Epic Games were to be approached by Nintendo:

Like I said, we really don't know enough about it to make a formal comment, but I think if they considered that our engine would be good on it, they would have probably talked to us about it.

From: http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2010/10/d...es_anytime_soon

Nintendo, why the fuck are you making game systems underspecced?
Sony and Microsoft are beating your pace.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were smart enough you would undrestand that even if Nintendo would build a super computer, Epic game would not work on that... There are many things that companies are not telling us... Trust me, 3DS is really powerful to run on Unreal Engine

D

Deleted User

Unreal engine games would be terrible on portable's. I hate the engine so much.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Sceptile95 said:
Nintendo, why the fuck are you making game systems underspecced?
Sony and Microsoft are beating your pace.

You obviously didn't even read the article entirely if you're making a statement like that. You missed the part where they said they don't have a 3DS and can't verify that it works on it, which literally means they are in the same boat as we are in relation to specs, in that we don't know.

It's basically them whining that Nintendo did not give them an invitation to the party.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
C'mon.
This is an engine built for PC and home consoles, which are more powerful than handhelds by an order of magnitude. Not to mention that OpenGL 2.0 is required.

Maybe instead of trying to scale Unreal Engine down, it would be faster and simpler just to write a new portable engine from scratch ?

Anyway, Nintendo should have chosen Tegra 2 over this bizarre Pica 200. Unreal Engine has been already ported there, and I think it also plays Flash, HD videos and runs optimized Opera out-of-the-box. And it's standards compliant, not proprietary.

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
pachura said:
Anyway, Nintendo should have chosen Tegra 2 over this bizarre Pica 200. Unreal Engine has been already ported there, and I think it also plays Flash, HD videos and runs optimized Opera out-of-the-box. And it's standards compliant, not proprietary.
Because Tegra 2 may or may not be far worse than the Pica in terms of power consumption and price. It blows my mind when people don't realize:

1. The 3DS can run a scaled down version of Capcoms HD MT Framwork engine.
2. Having great specs doesn't mean shit if it can't run for at least 9 hours.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
That. Nintendo also could have put a hexicore i7 processor into the 3DS.
Now is that a good plan?

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gullwing said:
If you were smart enough you would undrestand that even if Nintendo would build a super computer, Epic game would not work on that... There are many things that companies are not telling us... Trust me, 3DS is really powerful to run on Unreal Engine
And you know that 3DS is powerful enough how? Nobody knows the limits of the 3DS anything he's saying is based on speculation.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
silverbullet1080 said:
Because Tegra 2 may or may not be far worse than the Pica in terms of power consumption and price.
Well, you don't now. Noone has even seen Pica200 in a real life. There's no single handheld, nor phone, nor a portable media player with this chip.

Everyone is assuming that Pica200 has so fantasticly low power consumption... but that's just an assumption. Maybe it's wrong ? Especially that Iwata has recently announced that 3DS' battery life is not going to match DS'. nVidia has much more money and many more engineers than this tiny Japanese company producing Pica (DMP). Maybe they've done miracles, who knows ? What is sure is that Tegra is standards compliant and has better software support than Pica.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
There's no single handheld, nor phone, nor a portable media player with this chip.
What is sure is that Tegra is standards compliant and has better software support than Pica."

Ok you are wrong about everything, really look up facts before writing bull.
In the 3ds section, in 3ds hardware, i have a post on other devices that already use this chip, including the latest and most advanced 3D arcade machines in tokyo.
Also tegra is nowhere near as good as pica200, tegra2 maybe-but without 3d support and without any advanced shaders that the pica has, but definately not tegra. Tegra is last gen, iphone gen.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Of all it is known that Epic Games is a company that does not want to realize any of his graphical engines for any Nintendo's console, whereas Capcom has not had any problem in adapting MT Framework to 3DS, in yhe case of Epic, Rein's words they are laughable enough. Does he say that this below his minimal specifications but on the other hand they have not received the console? I suppose that it is Rein's burning for turn completely ignored and the whole Epic's promotion towards the iPhone like platform of video games now acquires much more felt. "They had speaking with us" it should translate in "they had given us a reasonable quantity of money, since we us deserve it", because of all it is known that Apple paid a good quantity to Epic to say they have… well, that, a technical demonstration that Mark Rein has the noses of being calling it a game, but it is that these clowns are called him a game to any thing.

During the development of 360, Epic obtained an enormous quantity of money that one translated in the development of the Unreal Engine 3 and Gears of War, in case of Sony also there appeared a good quantity of money to carry the engine to PS3, Nintendo on the other hand is not a company that does this type of things and it burns very much Mark Rein. All that does not have anything to see neither with power or anything for the style but a direct relation has with it rotted that this "The Industry", the motives for not doing Unreal Engine 3 in 3DS do not come through the fault of Nintendo not for technological limitation.

If this was doing that more games were appearing in 3DS at the time I am sure that Nintendo would sign been charmed with for having a major catalogue and receiving royalties of these games of more, this one clearly that the only ones that do not want to adapt the Unreal Engine 3 to 3DS is the people of Epic with Mark Rein to the head, Nintendo does not do selection brings over of to whom they send the kits and to whom not and this Epic inside the studies that might receive the kit of development, the only truth here is that Epic thinks that Nintendo should pay them to them to develop in his console and the fact that they they do not kiss the ass (as if they do Sony and Microsoft) is something that makes Mark Rein nervous.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
lostdwarf said:
Ok you are wrong about everything, really look up facts before writing bull.
In the 3ds section, in 3ds hardware, i have a post on other devices that already use this chip, including the latest and most advanced 3D arcade machines in tokyo.

Can I have the link ?
And why DMP is only listing a LSI called "NV7" on their page ?

lostdwarf said:
Also tegra is nowhere near as good as pica200, tegra2 maybe

Of course I meant Tegra 2, as this was the one once considered by Nintendo (or, at least, rumoured to have been).

Juanmatron said:
Rein's words they are laughable enough. Does he say that this below his minimal specifications but on the other hand they have not received the console?

Spoken like a true fanboy. He's explicitly saying that these are just his speculations as he hasn't yet seen the console.

QUOTE(Juanmatron @ Oct 12 2010, 06:20 PM)
the motives for not doing Unreal Engine 3 in 3DS do not come through the fault of Nintendo not for technological limitation.

If they've built their engine from ground up absolutely requiring OpenGL/ES 2.0, and e.g. assuming at least 512 MB of memory, then it would be difficult to scale it down. Is it so difficult to understand ? Do you think e.g. that Microsoft would be able to scale down Windows 7 to run on 3DS ? Maybe MT Framework is better written, more open, scalable. It seems that Epic has never considered handhelds to be the target of their engine, why would they change their minds now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1