Homebrew Emulation EmuNand Reset behavior

Kareek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I softmodded my Wii years ago and just plugged it back in. It loads into BootLoader so I can bypass the Wii menu, but sometimes it either doessn't boot at all or skips to the Wii menu. I'm assuming that can be because of the SD card but I'm not sure.

My main reason for posting this thread is when I try to run a Wii VC title through emunand, the reset button crashes the system entirely. I'm able to reset the titles I have installed on the Wii's nand perfectly fine. The emuNand was made and is being run through USB Loader GX, and is stored on my external hard drive.

Kareek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
make sure you're using the latest version of GX from @blackb0x 's signature or from oscwii.org

When you say the reset button, do you mean the physical reset button on the Wii? Also, are you loading emunand content via usbloader gx or via neek?
I mean the physical button on the Wii, yes. I'm loading emunand content through UsbLoaderGx, as well as installing to emunand

Kareek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
apologies if I'm missing something... but why are you hitting reset in the game like that, no other way to exit the game?
save warping in n64 vc titles / reboot the emulator running in vc rather than the entire wii system

Kareek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
apologies if I'm missing something... but why are you hitting reset in the game like that, no other way to exit the game?
I've been playing around with my system over today and made some discoveries.

I am installing different versions/languages of the same two games and making sure I give them different channel IDs. The reset function works as it normally does in VC (resetting the virtual console emulator rather than the entire Wii system) until I add other versions into the mix. I have gotten everything to work by booting the titles through Priiloader rather than USB Loader, and through the system nand rather than an emulated nand, which is fine, but it would be nice to get the intended result throughout the entire system. I don't remember ever going through the Neko setup or whatever it is and plan to in the next couple of days. I would like to be able to have my vc titles working correctly in emuNand as well. The games play perfectly fine regardless, it's just the fact that the Wii's hardware reset button would completely lock up the system rather than rebooting the VC emulator. I'm going to go off of the assumption that this is all because I don't have emuNand configured correctly and expected it to work as intended through USB Loader GX.

I do have another issue though. I have been uninstalling wads through multi mod manager and have noticed a "Null" title listed in my Priiloader titles. If I scroll down to this null title, it crashes my system. I'm not sure how to remove it or where it came from, as it doesn't have a channel ID attached.

Kareek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually ended up installing ModMii, ran a sys check, and updated all homebrew apps/modmii/ios/etc after you suggested updating USB loader GX. The ghost channel disappeared with the updating, along with the minor bootmii issues. I don't have access to a wiimote at the moment so I couldn't use anytitledeleter, but it seems to have worked itself out.

What's really weird is I now have all wads from both games working as intended when run from Priiloader/installed to system Nand. But if booted from USBLGX, one of those games is facing the same reset issue from before, the Wii locking up on a black screen once the hardware reset button is pressed. The game still plays fine, but the reset thing is a minor annoyance that will become larger adding emuNands into everything. That game is Majora's mask, an expansion pack N64 title. The other game, Ocarina of Time, is working fine booted through either Priiloader or USBLGX. In english and japanese for both games. I haven't tested either on emuNand yet and feel it might be an issue with some USB Loader GX setting. I don't really know what else would be making the wii get two different results from identical wads.

Kareek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also unable to test launching from the system menu because I don't have a wii remote at the moment, but my gut feeling is it has something to do with how USB Loader handles Wii Virtual Console. I could be wrong, though, and I'm not sure what it could be

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Majora's Mask is one of the Wiiware/VC games that doesn't work with 'light' emunand, you have to use the 'neek2o' setting to use a more complete emunand to run it. I doubt this is the reason you're seeing the behavior you describe, but it's something to know if you start using emunand for such games.

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_cIOS_EmuNAND_Compatibility_List

Kareek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Majora's Mask is one of the Wiiware/VC games that doesn't work with 'light' emunand, you have to use the 'neek2o' setting to use a more complete emunand to run it. I doubt this is the reason you're seeing the behavior you describe, but it's something to know if you start using emunand for such games.

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_cIOS_EmuNAND_Compatibility_List
Yeah I did see somewhere that Majora's mask had an issue with some emunand. I tried adding neek2o but following the instructions from ModMii did not add it to my system, and I don't fully understand exactly what it is other than a different method/application of emulated Nand. The reason I wanted to use emuNand was because I play through a lot of "randomizers" of both MM/OoT and liked the option of having every wad installed to an emunand vs. having to rotate them out with other games installed to nand.

Last edited by Kareek,

Kareek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the reset behavior, it seems to have mostly corrected itself with games on sys nand. I'm going to assume updating everything is the reason for it. Some games still have the reset issue if launched through USB Loader GX, but if I launch from system menu or priiloader it doesn't have that issue.

I would like to be able to cycle between sys Nand and emulated nands, and would need neek2o for that to be possible with Majora's Mask, so I would need to do that through USB Loader GX or something similar.
The Bootmii issue seems to be back: powering on my system sometimes hangs up and does nothing/boots nothing. I can circumvent this by holding the reset button to boot into priiloader, or remove my sd card so priiloader boots stating bootmii failed. I'm not sure what's causing this, but it seems to be bootmii. Are failed boots common behavior?

My USB Loader GX is up to date, and to reiterate the reset issue has been fixed for everything but Majora's mask. Ocarina Time functions fine with wads installed to sysnand. But loading a wad for Majora's mask installed to sys nand still does the same thing. The game loads/plays fine, but hitting the physical reset button on the Wii will stop the game but lock the system in a black screen rather than rebooting the game. Pressing the power button doesn't power off the system after this, and the power button must be held down in order to power off the system. Intended result for VC games is to reboot the "emulator" for the game rather than the entire system. Again, this behavior is not present when the title is launched through Priiloader or system menu, and only happens when launched through USB Loader GX

My initial thought was this was behavior caused by USB Loader GX and how it boots the game, but with the return issue of bootmii failing to load occasionally, I'm wondering if it's possible my Wii's boot settings could be the cause.

From PriiLoader, my boot settings are:
Autoboot: BootMii IOS
Return to: Priiloader
Shutdown to: Power off
Stop disc on startup: On
Light slot on error: On
Ignore standby: Off
Background Color: Black
Protect Priiloader: Off
Protect Autoboot: Off
Dump Gecko Output: Off
Show Beta Updates: Off
Use System Menu IOS: On

groover

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone found a fix to this yet? It's not a major problem, but it does make me curious as to the cause of this issue. Hitting reset on the console causes a hard crash with both Majora's Mask and Smash Bros. 64 when either is launched through USBloaderGX. Both games are installed to my NAND through a wad installation, and this problem doesn't happen when I launch either title from the system menu or priiloader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc