Gaming Emulating New Super Mario bros U?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My PC is 8 core 4.6ghz with 4gb video ram along with 8gb normal ram.

but I though it may be possible to emulate just that one game since its not very graphics intense.

for example, on my macbook pro, I can emulate New super mario bros wii at full speed, but no other games, because NSMBW is not very graphics intense.

You don't understand how emulation works

In essence, your cpu speaks a different language than the game and the emulator serves as the translator. Slow emulation tends to be the result of "bad translation" while fast emulation is "good translation"

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys, this is really easy.
Wii U is just a Wii with a tablet controller, so the Wii U games will run in Dolphin if they can use Wii remotes instead of the controller like NSMB. AND Because Dolphin can run games in HD so it'll obviously work with the Wii U because Wii U is naturally HD, so dolphin will be able to run it.
Someone just needs to code Wii U .ISO'S to be selectable in dolphin and easy done.
Oh no... Not more of these noobs...

Reactions: beta4attack

celcodioc

Major A$$hole
Trophies
XP
Country
The only good thing about the Wii U (emulation-wise) is that its hardware is similar to the Wii's hardware, which basically is a GameCube with a higher clocked CPU and GPU.
However, we still don't know much about the Wii U's internals, and the console was just released.

On top of that, even if we had a working optimized emulator, I'm pretty sure regular gaming PCs won't be able to emulate it at full speed until at least
Guys, this is really easy.

Then do it yourself.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You obviously don't know the fundamentals of emulation as a whole, do you? It all boils down to how the CPU languages are executed and how the communicate. The goal of emulation is to trick one thing into thinking it's something else, in the case, a PC. PCs typically use either x86 or x64 CPU language whereas the Wii U uses an IBM Power PC language, and since Intel/AMD x86 can't understand Power PC, there must be a way for the two to translate back and forth. That's where reverse-engineering and programming come into play, code must be written so the two languages are understood. When the code is written, optimizations must be made if you want the games to run decently, but the more complex the hardware, the more complex (and if need be, accuracy can be the focus) the code, the higher the system requirements.

Not to mention there must be a decent amount of documentation of the hardware in question otherwise, you're not going to get far, so don't erroneously expect a Wii U or PS3 emulator that can play games anytime soon.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not to sound like that guy, but this early in the game, it would be better to just buy the game Wii U and the game if you want it.
There is no emulator for the Wii U (yet) and there is no dumps for Wii U games (that I know of), plus you would be missing out on features like the Wii U game pad.

Also it's not easy making an emulator.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wii U just came out , I wouldn't expect emulation for a year or two if that.
A year or two? It's been years since the XBox 360 and the PS3 were released, and we haven't even seen a homebrew-only emulator, let alone a full-blown one. Heck, we don't even have an accurate XBox emulator.

A WiiU emulator may pop up in 5-6 years time at best, even that would require a massive technological leap and we're not seeing one brewing just yet, but it's a fair estimate.

Reactions: The Catboy

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this will be a totally off the wall comment but.....why cant we just build our own wii u ? by that I mean , buy the parts from tiger or amazon and someone reverse enginer the software ?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
this will be a totally off the wall comment but.....why cant we just build our own wii u ? by that I mean , buy the parts from tiger or amazon and someone reverse enginer the software ?
...and who will reverse-engineer custom hardware built into the system? This is no NES or Megadrive y'know. When was the last time you've seen a working PlayStation clone, hmm? That kind of stuff is strictly-confidential, you'd have to spend thousands of dollars to just x-ray and decap all the chips.

Reactions: The Catboy

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A year or two? It's been years since the XBox 360 and the PS3 were released, and we haven't even seen a homebrew-only emulator, let alone a full-blown one. Heck, we don't even have an accurate XBox emulator.

A WiiU emulator may pop up in 5-6 years time at best, even that would require a massive technological leap and we're not seeing one brewing just yet, but it's a fair estimate.
Not really no , I think 2 years is a fair estimate, gamecube and wii have many similarities , which is why dolphin emulates both. Both their Disc drives work exactly the same, the wiikey fusion designed for the wii is backwards compatible with gamecube, which it was never meant to be. So it may be safe to assume that their are many similarities between the wii u and the wii which would make it easier to emulate.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not really no , I think 2 years is a fair estimate, gamecube and wii have many similarities , which is why dolphin emulates both. Both their Disc drives work exactly the same, the wiikey fusion designed for the wii is backwards compatible with gamecube, which it was never meant to be. So it may be safe to assume that their are many similarities between the wii u and the wii which would make it easier to emulate.
It's not safe to assume that because the jump between the Gamecube and the Wii was small, wheras the WiiU is triple-core, each core, even if it was exactly the same as the Wii's (and it isn't), works at twice the frequency. Dolphin nowadays requires a strong rig to work at full speed - you'd require a 3-4 times as much power to emulate the WiiU. This isn't a programming issue, this is a hardware issue.

Reactions: kineticUK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill