Hacking emanuals from VC etc

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was going to play about with some injecting last night and make some emanuals for some apps I have, so you could read info from the home menu. I kinda needs this to work for some apps I've made recently, but when extracting the emanual from the app file, I always get the problem of the names exceding the windows limits.

So how do I overcome this problem ? I'm desperate to test some things.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a windows problem just use some Unix system (Linux or OS X), never had too long filenames here and you can use nearly every character in the file names (exept colons : ).
Or you could just extract your files directly into the root of your drive (this way you don't have such long paths like C:/Documents and Settings/User/Documents etc.).

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the super quick reply mousex
biggrin.gif

I did try the obvious of extracting to C: but it is still too long for windows, if you're familiar with emanuals they have folder inside folder inside folder so many times over.

I don't use linux myself (kinda avoided it), how could I use linux to do this ? Could I run a linux CD and perhaps extract to a USB drive ? (I think yes, but no harm in asking)

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never come across this problem? Extracted plenty of manuals.

Which emanual is it that causes the error?

Your problem is probably the tool your using to extract the manual. The easiest and most reliable way is to extract it using the DarchD tools from the SDK.

Once extracted just edit the html files with whatever editor you like, and replace the pictures etc. To pack the file again just use u8tool, selecting standard header and rename to the same as the original emanual.arc

Be careful though, make sure the file structure is identical (i.e. same root folder) and if there are any empty folders anywhere in the manual, delete them, as u8tool will produce an error if there are any empty folders.

Hope this helps.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I can extract them no problem, and get most of the files...except for some that would then result in too long file names.

I extract the arc and get an arc_out etc, but the problem is the structure thay have EG:

arc_out/subpage_01/subimage/subpage_02/subimage/subpage_03/subimage/subpage_04/subimage/subpage_05/subimage/subpage_06/subimage .... etc etc.

I know I'll get it figured out (with some help from more experienced emanual editors here)
tongue.gif

EDIT ****

OK sorted now
biggrin.gif

Thanks very much for helping me bootmonster, the problem was the app I used to extract (showmiiwads)
I have it working now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1