emanuals from VC etc

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Slimmmmmm, Oct 24, 2009.

Oct 24, 2009

emanuals from VC etc by Slimmmmmm at 3:22 PM (770 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

  1. Slimmmmmm
    OP

    Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    Messages:
    1,687
    Location:
    the land of lol
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    I was going to play about with some injecting last night and make some emanuals for some apps I have, so you could read info from the home menu. I kinda needs this to work for some apps I've made recently, but when extracting the emanual from the app file, I always get the problem of the names exceding the windows limits.

    So how do I overcome this problem ? I'm desperate to test some things.
     
  2. mousex

    Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2009
    Messages:
    987
    Country:
    United States
    If it's a windows problem just use some Unix system (Linux or OS X), never had too long filenames here and you can use nearly every character in the file names (exept colons : ).
    Or you could just extract your files directly into the root of your drive (this way you don't have such long paths like C:/Documents and Settings/User/Documents etc.).
     
  3. Slimmmmmm
    OP

    Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    Messages:
    1,687
    Location:
    the land of lol
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the super quick reply mousex [​IMG]

    I did try the obvious of extracting to C: but it is still too long for windows, if you're familiar with emanuals they have folder inside folder inside folder so many times over.

    I don't use linux myself (kinda avoided it), how could I use linux to do this ? Could I run a linux CD and perhaps extract to a USB drive ? (I think yes, but no harm in asking)
     
  4. bootmonster

    Member bootmonster GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2002
    Messages:
    156
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    I've never come across this problem? Extracted plenty of manuals.

    Which emanual is it that causes the error?

    Your problem is probably the tool your using to extract the manual. The easiest and most reliable way is to extract it using the DarchD tools from the SDK.

    Once extracted just edit the html files with whatever editor you like, and replace the pictures etc. To pack the file again just use u8tool, selecting standard header and rename to the same as the original emanual.arc

    Be careful though, make sure the file structure is identical (i.e. same root folder) and if there are any empty folders anywhere in the manual, delete them, as u8tool will produce an error if there are any empty folders.

    Hope this helps.
     
  5. Slimmmmmm
    OP

    Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    Messages:
    1,687
    Location:
    the land of lol
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    I can extract them no problem, and get most of the files...except for some that would then result in too long file names.

    I extract the arc and get an arc_out etc, but the problem is the structure thay have EG:

    arc_out/subpage_01/subimage/subpage_02/subimage/subpage_03/subimage/subpage_04/subimage/subpage_05/subimage/subpage_06/subimage .... etc etc.

    I know I'll get it figured out (with some help from more experienced emanual editors here) [​IMG]



    EDIT ****

    OK sorted now [​IMG]
    Thanks very much for helping me bootmonster, the problem was the app I used to extract (showmiiwads)
    I have it working now.
     

Share This Page