Homebrew Editing DSiWare roms

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,663
  • Replies 1
D

Deleted User

OP
So recently I've decided to look into a small DSiWare app that I'd like to translate. I have the .nds file, and it runs in no$gba as well as on my 3ds when converted to a CIA. The .nds file appears identical to a regular NDS rom, file system and all.
However, while I can unpack it fine, it doesn't seem to repack correctly (using dsbuff v1 final). I first tried to edit the NFTR file that had the font, but after attempting to repack it, no$gba complains about the WRAM. So I unpacked the original, unmodified rom, and then repacked it with dsbuff, and I got the same result.
Does anyone have any knowledge in this area? The repacked rom is 10mb, while the original is 10.5, so I think that might have something to do with this.

D

Deleted User

OP
So I decided to forget about unpacking the rom and just tried to edit it directly in a hex editor. I changed a few bytes in the nftr file (contains the font), and tried to run the game in no$gba AND on my 3ds. no$gba didn't give any error this time, it just hung on a white screen. My 3ds, after packing the .nds into a .cia, also froze on a white screen.
This confused me, so I went back to the rom and changed ONE byte. Then I tried it on no$gba and my 3ds, and I got the same result.

Now I might be wrong, but don't the TWL_FIRM patches that were built into Luma a few months back allow DSiWare to be edited? I'm thinking this might be the issue, but that still doesn't explain why no$gba doesn't work. (then again it could just be because of its poor DSi compatibility)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    in that case, there is no such thing as homebrew launcher for aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you have to launch your homebrews directly from the wii u menu
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.