EA: Battlefront won't have single player because "people don't want it."

battlefront_logo.jpg

In a recent interview with Peter Moore, COO of EA, Moore was asked about the controversy of yearly released sports titles, as well as some information about Star Wars Battlefront's lack of a single player campaign.

Peter Moore acknowledged that sports games have come under fire for being pushed out every year with menial updates, but he also thinks that in the future there may be a place for a yearly update, but for the time being “there is still a thirst for a great, brand-new boxed game.” Looks like we’ll be forking out for a new game every year for the foreseeable future, then…
Star Wars Battlefront was also on the table during the chat. When asked why the game won’t ship with a full-on single-player experience, Peter Moore stated that “very few people actually play the single-player on these kinds of games” going on with “that’s what the data points to.”

How do you feel about this line of thinking? Are games that seem to have a primary emphasis on multiplayer content, somehow excluded from the need for a single player campaign? Especially when it comes to narrative content such as the Star Wars universe.

:arrow: SOURCE

Reactions: Margen67

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Why would you want a piece of shit, when you can...not have a piece of shit? I'd rather a developer put all of their effort into what they want to make, not shit out something because a couple hundred people on a forum like to bitch about shit. If you want to play a soggy sack of shit developers don't care about, good for you, but I don't. If they went and just shoehorned a shitty singleplayer in, you'd all just bitch and moan about that.

It's EA. No matter what they do it'll be a soggy sack of shit until it's been out for a year or so, patched to oblivion and had at least another £40 worth of DLC added.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People seem to forget that developing AAA games costs a lot of money.
Shocking, I know. I'll let that soak in for a few minutes.

Anyway, with that thoroughly soaked, this factoid leads to the obvious conclusion that there comes a point where you can't have literally everything in one game. If they take time to make a singleplayer, that means less time for the multiplayer. That means a meh multiplayer and a shit singleplayer, rather than good/none. So it's obvious why they aren't catering to the vocal moronority. EA is shit, but they aren't wrong in this case. Battlefront is a multiplayer game, so that's what they focused on. It might still be shit, but it'll be a lot less shit than it would've been if they had tacked on a singleplayer.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People seem to forget that developing AAA games costs a lot of money.
Shocking, I know. I'll let that soak in for a few minutes.

Anyway, with that thoroughly soaked, this factoid leads to the obvious conclusion that there comes a point where you can't have literally everything in one game. If they take time to make a singleplayer, that means less time for the multiplayer. That means a meh multiplayer and a shit singleplayer, rather than good/none. So it's obvious why they aren't catering to the vocal moronority. EA is shit, but they aren't wrong in this case. Battlefront is a multiplayer game, so that's what they focused on. It might still be shit, but it'll be a lot less shit than it would've been if they had tacked on a singleplayer.
Maybe it is because while your logic isn't half bad it is sad that a game is being OK with lacking a once crucial part of a game. I mean yes it is primarily a multiplayer game but to say that it should not have a single player is bullcrap in all honesty. Game companies are only becoming worse about things like this cutting quality in order to make profits caring less about how the game is because they know they have people who will buy games regardless of how good or bad they are. Ea, Activision, capcom, and Nintendo are all destroying quality gaming with crap sequals like this that are basically made for a quick buck as gamers are becoming stupid. Really look at it a crapshot money maker can make a million sells while artful original ip games struggle to make 100k, why? Because as I said gamers with bro culture are becoming so stupid to where they could care less about quality since they buy it any way. Bravo EA, you really didn't give a shit about game quality and by cutting a good portion out while not using you'd extra funds wisely have contributed to the problem.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe it is because while your logic isn't half bad it is sad that a game is being OK with lacking a once crucial part of a game

I stopped there. You're talking about the wrong series or something. This is about Battlefront, which has never had a good singleplayer.
Battlefront 2 had a pseudo tutorial singleplayer that was boring as shit due to the braindead AI and lack of any real variety. It was entirely focused on the multiplayer, which it did very well. Would've done even better if they hadn't wasted time on that crappy singleplayer 'campaign'.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stopped there. You're talking about the wrong series or something. This is about Battlefront, which has never had a good singleplayer.
Battlefront 2 had a pseudo tutorial singleplayer that was boring as shit due to the braindead AI and lack of any real variety. It was entirely focused on the multiplayer, which it did very well. Would've done even better if they hadn't wasted time on that crappy singleplayer 'campaign'.
I'm saying it is sad that for gaming in general it is sad they Companies are entirely ditching a major part of a game because of the fact it is best for their profits and could care less. It just shows how lazy they are.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If they take time to make a singleplayer, that means Release date can't be during the Episode 7 hype period and we can't cash in as easily.
FTFY

Yeah AAA games do cost a lot of money but think for a second why that is. Is it because they spend time and effort developing a game or because they spend time and effort developing a nice graphics engine that is easier to impress people with.
AAA used mean you get a quality product that has everything in it. Nowadays AAA's are pretty games that cut corners wherever they can because it would be too expensive otherwise. How are people okay with that exactly?
I remember spending hours in Jedi Knights II Singleplayer mode before heading to the Multiplayer portion of the game and play team death match and CTF against bots. I could against human players if I had Internet at the time.
Nowadays people are okay with half the game being missing? In a freaking 60$/70€ product? How? Why? How did we as gamers end up here?
If AAA development is soooooo inflated then f*cking fix the issue by making the development cheaper and don't make it worse by hiding the dust under the rug.

Have you seen the Alpha footage of Battlefront 3? That Singleplayer ->Story Mode<- looked f*cking fantastic.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FTFY

Yeah AAA games do cost a lot of money but think for a second why that is. Is it because they spend time and effort developing a game or because they spend time and effort developing a nice graphics engine that is easier to impress people with.
AAA used mean you get a quality product that has everything in it. Nowadays AAA's are pretty games that cut corners wherever they can because it would be too expensive otherwise. How are people okay with that exactly?
I remember spending hours in Jedi Knights II Singleplayer mode before heading to the Multiplayer portion of the game and play team death match and CTF against bots. I could against human players if I had Internet at the time.
Nowadays people are okay with half the game being missing? In a freaking 60$/70€ product? How? Why? How did we as gamers end up here?
If AAA development is soooooo inflated then f*cking fix the issue by making the development cheaper and don't make it worse by hiding the dust under the rug.

Have you seen the Alpha footage of Battlefront 3? That Singleplayer ->Story Mode<- looked f*cking fantastic.
Very good points this is something I can second

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think games that throw half the gameplay out to make room for an absurdly over-inflated graphics budget should be called Triple A. Single A, maybe. Double A if they at least made a decent effort at getting things balanced. But in all honesty I've not seen all that many games that had everything since Uncharted 2 and The Last Of Us. We just call everything from the big developers a Triple A title these days and I think it gives them a false sense of how good they actually are. If we started looking at them with a more critical eye and called them like we see them, maybe developers would get the message and start balancing things out a little more. I for one don't care if a game runs at 60FPS in 1080p with hyper-advanced lighting engines. I care if I have fun playing it and enjoy the story. NOBODY is going to look back on this era of gaming and brag about how the games were in HD. That kind of stuff doesn't leave a lasting memory.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think games that throw half the gameplay out to make room for an absurdly over-inflated graphics budget should be called Triple A. Single A, maybe. Double A if they at least made a decent effort at getting things balanced. But in all honesty I've not seen all that many games that had everything since Uncharted 2 and The Last Of Us. We just call everything from the big developers a Triple A title these days and I think it gives them a false sense of how good they actually are. If we started looking at them with a more critical eye and called them like we see them, maybe developers would get the message and start balancing things out a little more. I for one don't care if a game runs at 60FPS in 1080p with hyper-advanced lighting engines. I care if I have fun playing it and enjoy the story. NOBODY is going to look back on this era of gaming and brag about how the games were in HD. That kind of stuff doesn't leave a lasting memory.
Absolutely, I feel if a game is AAA should depend on how good it is not how much money was spent or who made it

Reactions: CathyRina

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I'm just gonna sit back, stay clear of the hype train, and wait for them to release it. Whatever state it's released in, that's how I'll judge if they made the right decision or not. Until then, let them make it however they want... it's Star Citizen that I really want to play anyway.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait what? No single player story-sort-of-game? So what type of game is this? Another online only game that no one will buy, like the crew??

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Give up on getting Bettlefront 3. This is Battlefield: Star Sars Edition. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1