EA: Battlefront won't have single player because "people don't want it."

battlefront_logo.jpg

In a recent interview with Peter Moore, COO of EA, Moore was asked about the controversy of yearly released sports titles, as well as some information about Star Wars Battlefront's lack of a single player campaign.

Peter Moore acknowledged that sports games have come under fire for being pushed out every year with menial updates, but he also thinks that in the future there may be a place for a yearly update, but for the time being “there is still a thirst for a great, brand-new boxed game.” Looks like we’ll be forking out for a new game every year for the foreseeable future, then…
Star Wars Battlefront was also on the table during the chat. When asked why the game won’t ship with a full-on single-player experience, Peter Moore stated that “very few people actually play the single-player on these kinds of games” going on with “that’s what the data points to.”

How do you feel about this line of thinking? Are games that seem to have a primary emphasis on multiplayer content, somehow excluded from the need for a single player campaign? Especially when it comes to narrative content such as the Star Wars universe.

:arrow: SOURCE

Reactions: Margen67

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Same here only online gaming I do is pvp with people I know

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Even still I'm assuming you like the older games much better with local multiple player
I've never really had anyone to play local multiplayer other than a few times with my nephew, so no. It's either online or offline (1p).

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never really had anyone to play local multiplayer other than a few times with my nephew, so no. It's either online or offline (1p).
Hm well OK then , personally to I think it depends on what tracks the game has as some I don't like playing on and some I could play forever

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't care if it's Star Wars (Actually, i haven't watched not even one movie of that series for that reason), if it's a videogame, a single campaign mode it's always important, i can't understand how videogame industries have the line of thinking "People don't play Single Player campaigns mode" because sadly, it's part true, many people buy CoD, the fifa games, and the rest of the sport games for multiplayer reasons, but this is Star Wars, a movie where the main focus is the story and action, when you make a game solely based on a multiplayer mode, you're really betting something high, the consumer will feel like they have been scammed.

It's actually unbelievable the state of this industry, everyone is asking for remakes of old games, many companies aren't giving two shits about their games and they decide to release the yearly sequel of something with little to no actual updates, i knew that this was going to happen in a near future, since the 7th generation, the over-fluid quantity of sequels and remakes, and lack of actual new ips, and when you finally receive a new ip with an interesting setting like Codename S.T.E.A.M, everyone will say "This is bullshit, we want more Zelda and Mario", i just, can't understand this, you know, Game Theory has pretty dumb theories about Mario and Zelda games, but they were right with the "Most Gamers are ruining the videogames" shit, i'm not talking about the kind who actually play the games, beat them, enjoy them and pass a good time with it, i'm talking about the people who buy the games, expect the most common denominator in their games, and when they don't get satisfied with the same repetitive feature that wasn't included for a new and better one, they complain, complain like bitches because their games aren't the thing they want.

I need a time machine, old games are getting too expensive when time passes, and the good consoles are getting dusty and breakable, i need to go back to the time were everything was simple, yet better with games.
I like this post so much, this is probably one of the best things I've read in a long while.

I don't get where he gets the idea people don't want a single player mode. One of the major complaints about Splatoon was the there wasn't enough single player content. Don't know why EA thinks they can get away with NO single player content

Reactions: HaloEffect17

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this post so much, this is probably one of the best things I've read in a long while.

I don't get where he gets the idea people don't want a single player mode. One of the major complaints about Splatoon was the there wasn't enough single player content. Don't know why EA thinks they can get away with NO single player content
Most likely he does not believe that and is saying that billsht to cover his ass to the media

Reactions: Monado_III

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Yeah, I thought the story mode for Splatoon was surprisingly weak and uninspiring. I felt there was a great deal more that they could have done with it. Really short, too.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I thought the story mode for Splatoon was surprisingly weak and uninspiring. Really short, too.
At the same time thier is alot more to make a compelling interesting story than they had with splatoon so to see it go to waste is sad. Plus splatoon lasted like 10 hours which was not horrible but the lack of replay value for a single player mode was weak

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

If anything, Splatoon lacked online content and variety of modes. It still does, regardless. Splatoon is an online game and they only shoved the Single Player mode to say the game included such thing.

Nintendo's still not willing to take risks i.e, release an online game only.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If anything, Splatoon lacked online content and variety of modes. It still does, regardless. Splatoon is an online game and they only shoved the Single Player mode to say the game included such thing.

I agree. The Splatoon story mode feels "tacked" on and I think Nintendo felt that by adding this single-player component, it would ultimately result in a more robust package. But when the effort is clearly lacking into making a great campaign/story mode, it only diverts to disappointment.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well considering the fact that it like you said lacked multiplayer content would have made it mediocre at best plus it was over priced which would make it a bad experience. It needed to be more online with more stages and modes but who knows why they lost it? Maybe because they felt it would not do good since it is a new IP being targeted to kids? Now Nintendo needs to take risks but this is when they should not have unless they added more but like you said they don't like risk like how this is the first new IP in years but most Nintendo players don't care for new ips and just stick with them for Mario and what not.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

What do you call the Wii U? That was a several million dollar risk. Splatoon in itself was a risk, it was a shooter that was completely different from pretty much every other shooter.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I agree. The Splatoon story mode feels "tacked" on and I think Nintendo felt that by adding this single-player component, it would ultimately result in a more robust package. But when the effort is clearly lacking into making a great campaign/story mode, it only diverts to disappointment.
The Single Player story could have been an amazing experience but it's more or less a "Training Mode" but even playing online without knowing much can still be fun so there's little reason to play offline.

P.S.: I got all the book thingies of the Story Mode but never read them other than see the pictures. lol

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
What do you call the Wii U? That was a several million dollar risk. Splatoon in itself was a risk, it was a shooter that was completely different from pretty much every other shooter.

Releasing the demo before the game was even out was a brilliant idea which Sony and Microsoft would wish they'd have on their consoles too. So if Splatoon 2 ever gets made then I hope Nintendo takes their time and make it as meaty as possible.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Releasing the demo before the game was even out was a brilliant idea which Sony and Microsoft would wish they'd have on their consoles too. So if Splatoon 2 ever gets made then I hope Nintendo takes their time and make it as meaty as possible.
Agreed as I know alot who would not have got it before the demo

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That demo is the reason I bought the game lol. I genuinely hadn't had that much fun with a game for a long time.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I mostly play single player games. If I wanted to be social, I'd go to the pub. I go outsside to be with people, I stay indoors with my Playstation when I want the world to fuck off and leave me alone. By all means focus on multiplayer but if you're gonna introduce largely pointless multiplayer features into games like Mass Effect 3 to have a broader market appeal (Frankly if you join a trilogy at part 3 and don't know what's going on, that's your problem, do the leg work and play 1+2 you lazy fucknuggets) then you also by extension need to appeal to the demographic that just want to play by themselves. I've always believed that a game needs to stand on the merits of what every gamer has available right out of the box. What about poor saps who don't have strong wifi? I pay £16 a month for basic Sky Broadband. It's adequate but hardly high speed. Am I too poor to enjoy your game, EA? Stop being elitist wankstains and get somemotherfucking business sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb