dvd homebrew apps harmfull to your wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by christianbran, Feb 5, 2009.

Feb 5, 2009
  1. christianbran
    OP

Newcomer christianbran Member

United States
    Well from my past experience my ps2 brook from playing to many dvd. so they say. so i was curious would these homebrew dvd players cause harm to your wii laser?

2. oneleggedjack

Member oneleggedjack GBAtemp Regular

United States
    no, the wii was able to play them in the first place... but they didn't have/want to fork over the cash for the DVD stamp of approval

someone correct me if i'm wrong

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    can the wii play dvd? YES
    will it lower your lasers life? DEBATABLE

4. Nintendo_Chick

Member Nintendo_Chick GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It will wear out your laser, but so does playing your wii. The laser on all dvd readers wear out with use, and the wii happens to have a slightly lower quality laser than most dvd players because it wasn't meant for constant use. There haven't been too many reports of the laser wearing out so I wouldn't worry about it. But I don't like to use my wii as a dvd player with my 360 sitting there and 3 dvd players in my garage, just incase.

5. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Homebrew does not cause any damage to the laser, neither do copied games. It's 100% false no matter what anyone says.

Of course nothing lasts forever, so eventually the laser will die ... but not because of your copies or dvds.

I doubt this is true either.

Also, this has been discussed numerous times and you really should search before you start a new thread.

6. DuskLord

Newcomer DuskLord Member

Finland
    A very old subject indeed... While there are no 100% reliable results, I'm not risking it at all. Chipped Wii (400 euros) vs. a regular DVD player (30 euros). Vote with your wallet and don't cry if your precious gaming system starts getting DRE's after watching movies with it.

EDIT : I do have an OLD (6, 7 years perhaps?) chipped PS2 that has seen thousands of hours with movies AND gaming... It doesn't read CD's any longer but DVD's still work fine. It might be luck, or then movies really don't do jack to the laser. A friend of mine has went through 3 PS2's, all with tired lasers... You can never be too sure, the three consoles didn't end up being cheap on his wallet.

7. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    The Wiis laser is weaker IIRC. It was designed to only read when neccesary. But really, by the time the laser wears out, the wii will be long gone. So really dont worry about it

8. Wilson735

Member Wilson735 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I heard that the laser is stressed even more when reading burned discs because of the different dye used on the DVD. Is this true?

9. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    False! 100% False

Please oh please lock this thread!

10. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    although it prob wont wear your laser out i'd rather watch dvd's on my normal dvd player any day. cos the wii doesn't have 5.1 and it's a lot quieter

11. Alexrose

Member Alexrose Untitled

United Kingdom
    What about using waninkoko's dumper? Any worse for the laser than playing games?

12. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    CDs and DVDs use different lasers in the drive because of the different wavelenghts used to read CDs (780nm) and DVDs (650nm).
    At least this is what I read in the past about optical storage.