Homebrew dvd homebrew apps harmfull to your wii?

christianbran

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well from my past experience my ps2 brook from playing to many dvd. so they say. so i was curious would these homebrew dvd players cause harm to your wii laser?

oneleggedjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, the wii was able to play them in the first place... but they didn't have/want to fork over the cash for the DVD stamp of approval

someone correct me if i'm wrong

Nintendo_Chick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It will wear out your laser, but so does playing your wii. The laser on all dvd readers wear out with use, and the wii happens to have a slightly lower quality laser than most dvd players because it wasn't meant for constant use. There haven't been too many reports of the laser wearing out so I wouldn't worry about it. But I don't like to use my wii as a dvd player with my 360 sitting there and 3 dvd players in my garage, just incase.

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew does not cause any damage to the laser, neither do copied games. It's 100% false no matter what anyone says.

Of course nothing lasts forever, so eventually the laser will die ... but not because of your copies or dvds.

Nintendo_Chick said:
the wii happens to have a slightly lower quality laser than most dvd players because it wasn't meant for constant use.

I doubt this is true either.

Also, this has been discussed numerous times and you really should search before you start a new thread.

DuskLord

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
A very old subject indeed... While there are no 100% reliable results, I'm not risking it at all. Chipped Wii (400 euros) vs. a regular DVD player (30 euros). Vote with your wallet and don't cry if your precious gaming system starts getting DRE's after watching movies with it.

EDIT : I do have an OLD (6, 7 years perhaps?) chipped PS2 that has seen thousands of hours with movies AND gaming... It doesn't read CD's any longer but DVD's still work fine. It might be luck, or then movies really don't do jack to the laser. A friend of mine has went through 3 PS2's, all with tired lasers... You can never be too sure, the three consoles didn't end up being cheap on his wallet.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Wiis laser is weaker IIRC. It was designed to only read when neccesary. But really, by the time the laser wears out, the wii will be long gone. So really dont worry about it

Wilson735

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that the laser is stressed even more when reading burned discs because of the different dye used on the DVD. Is this true?

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wilson735 said:
I heard that the laser is stressed even more when reading burned discs because of the different dye used on the DVD. Is this true?

False! 100% False

Please oh please lock this thread!

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
although it prob wont wear your laser out i'd rather watch dvd's on my normal dvd player any day. cos the wii doesn't have 5.1 and it's a lot quieter

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DuskLord said:
I do have an OLD (6, 7 years perhaps?) chipped PS2 that has seen thousands of hours with movies AND gaming... It doesn't read CD's any longer but DVD's still work fine.
CDs and DVDs use different lasers in the drive because of the different wavelenghts used to read CDs (780nm) and DVDs (650nm).
At least this is what I read in the past about optical storage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs