Dumping HG/SS RETAIL game Saves

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Admiral_Ackbar6, Mar 15, 2010.

Mar 15, 2010
  1. Admiral_Ackbar6
    OP

Newcomer Admiral_Ackbar6 Member

Japan
    Hey guys,
    I bought both the SS and HG retail US carts today, but I am having some issues dumping my save files. For Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, I used my G6 slot 2 flashcart in DS mode, booted a nds homebrew app (eepinator), removed the forwarder from slot 1, inserted the retail cart into slot 1, and then was able to dump my save games to slot 2 and move them to my computer.

However, with HG/SS, as soon as I try to isn't the retail cart into slot 1, my DS resets itself. Anybody able to successful dump the save data from a retail cart of SS/HG? I have tried some of the wifi methods as well, but since all require you to boot homebrew from slot 1 and then swap out the cart with the retail cart, my DS keeps resetting. Any ideas? Thanks.

Andrew

*EDIT* Looks like this post (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=213110) is similar to my dilemma, but rather than restoring a .sav, I just want to dump them (Im interested in using tools to see my EV/IV values since I didn't keep a record of who I fought and whatnot). So, if anybody has anymore links to other resources, they would be appreciated [​IMG]

2. KazoWAR

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    From what I know, you can not dump HG/SS save files with a hombrew app. it needs a device to do it correctly. For a homebrew app to do it it need to be updated.

3. junn

Member junn .

United States
    dumped my retail soul silver save game using ems nds adapter,the output size is 1,024kb ,as compared to flashcart size which is 512kb. used DS save tools to convert it to acekard 2i 512kb save,but won't work,it'll just load to a new game.

4. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Can you try it without changing the size to 512kb? Just wondering if the converting to a lower size did anything and acekards do work with 1mb saves. Nevermind

5. junn

Member junn .

United States
    ds save tools, acekard2 save files settings is only up to 512kb,so i tried the other [all sizes], 1M byte 8m bit settings which produce the 1,024kb save file.and copied to my acekard cart,still not working.

6. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    Is that the regular NDS Backup Adapter, or the new Plus model? As the Plus is specially advertised as working with Hg/Ss, it makes me wonder if the normal one does the job properly. The new one apparently has firmware that can be updated.

7. PK Strike

Newcomer PK Strike Advanced Member

United States
    Will No$gba load the retail save? If so, you can use it to convert it to 512kb.

Though this is if you get it dumped, and to that other person who's AK won't read the retail save.

8. Poryhack

Member Poryhack GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You'll need the Plus model for it to work with HG/SS. I got mine in the mail a few days ago (I've been aware of this issue for a while) and it's working great.

9. TM2-Megatron

Canada
    Good to know. I bought the original one a while back, but I'll have to order the Plus this week.

10. Poryhack

United States
    Only word of caution is that the drivers are only available for 32bit systems. Quite lame. You'll have to find one if you plan on using this.

11. TM2-Megatron

Canada
    Yeah, I had to deal with the same thing for the regular NDS Adapter. Fortunately I've still got an older system in the house with Windows 2k Pro installed, and it should work on that.

12. FlygonPKMN

Newcomer FlygonPKMN Member

Netherlands
    If you wanna convert a 1024 to a 512 kb go to pokesav and click on 256 near Gamesize then save and then do it again.
    i will work then.

13. Admiral_Ackbar6
    OP

Japan
    Ok, well, thanks for the info. Looks like a hardware solution is the only current option then, and seeing as all of my systems are 64 bit, guess I will wait and hope some sort of software solution surfaces. I wonder what is causing the resets, if its shorting something when being inserted or if its using some other mechanism.

14. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    Is it possible to dump retail HGSS saves using rudolph's nds backup tool 3in1(software)?

15. Poryhack

United States
    It's all the same shit, the only difference is where it gets dumped to. So no.

16. DarkCrudus

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    i thought i was gonna be able to dump the save with the action replay dsi =/ no dice there, anyone know if they gonna update it so itll work?

17. astrangeone

Member astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Would love to see this fixed, but then again, I don't use Pokesav anymore.

18. Admiral_Ackbar6
    OP

Japan
    Its possible it may work if we could get the tool to run, the problems is someone being able to access the card after loading the dumper, as the DS resets whenever the HG/SS is inserted.

19. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    Only seems to have trouble detecting the size. It dumps a 256KB save when they are actually 1024, and 512 for emulators.

20. Syberia

Newcomer Syberia Member

United States
    If you can get it to dump and only the size is wrong, you might be able to load it up in Pokesav and re-save it as 512k. I was having that issue with Platinum and the 3-in-1 backup tool, and that's how I was able to fix it.