Dump .nds files to a cartridge?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by felystar, Jul 31, 2012.

Jul 31, 2012
  1. felystar
    OP

Member felystar GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Is there anyway I can push or dump a .nds file, to a DS original cartridge? I mean just like with Backup Tool Wifi that you can copy the game to the computer and dump a .sav. Well I want to dump a .nds file. Thanks.

2. Tom

Member Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

United States
    No It is Write protected

3. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    I'm sorry, but NDS cartridges are read only and that option cannot be changed. You will have to obtain a flash card to play pirated and/or fan translated games on your Nintendo DS system.

There IS one way, though. To do this, you will have to create your own custom NDS cartridge that will be able to be overwritten. After that, you will need the tools to transfer the game.

4. felystar
    OP

Spain
    and where are those tools?
    If I dump a .nds original game into a null cartridge, can it run in a 3DS? or in a DSi?

5. Bobbyloujo

Member Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

United States
    I'm curious... if the carts are read only how can the games create save files on the cartridge?

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    The game is stored on a ROM chip (hence the dumps are ROMs), the saves are stored on an EEPROM chip (Electronically Erasable Programmable ROM), which can be erased and re-written at will.

1 person likes this.
  7. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    your request is confusing. You CAN dump an actual cartage game to your computer... but not the other way.

8. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    To use what has already been said:

OP, guess what ROM stands for :D

9. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Google "Mask ROM" and you'll see why a custom cartridge is made (flashcard). Breaking it down...a card that is flashable. Flash means 'to write to'.

10. Auryn

Member Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    Well, let's be precise.
    You can read commercial cartridges but you can't write on them (i am talking about the game/ROM part) without modification to the original cartridge.
    It's possible to modify a commercial cart to be programmable but you will probably get only 1 game at the time on it.
    So the question is why you would do that if you have carts that allow you to put many games on them at the same time??
    If your question is just if it's possible the answer is not without modification of the original cart.
    If you would like to have an idea in how to modify it, the answer is something very similar to this: http://snesdev.romhack.de/som2.htm

11. felystar
    OP

Spain
    I want to do it because the flashcard I have is useless with my 3DS, so I wanted to "change" the .nds file of one of my DS original games to play a DS game in my 3DS just like if I bought it. And if I can only get one game on it, I dont mind cuz it is what I want to do :DWhy? Because I dont like that DS game.Why dont I buy a flashcard? Because I am not going to buy a 3DS flashcard to read only DS games, I will wait to Crown3DS which will run 3DS games, and DS games I hope.

12. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Then sell your flashcard for a less outdated type.

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I doubt Crown3DS is coming out any time soon, or any 3DS cart.

The tools and materials to do this will likely cost you more than a decent flash cart (which is like $15-20).

Just buy a fucking flash cart.

14. Tom

Member Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

United States
    You will be waiting quite a long time my friend

15. GenericGirlName

Newcomer GenericGirlName Member

United States
    You can buy a "DS" flashcart and it will work with a 3DS. Plenty of ones like the Acekard 2i work with 3DS. There is a list here. Buying the cheapest one of these would be cheaper then trying to rig a commercial cart.
    Otherwise, It'll be a long wait.

16. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    This post while some what uninformed does have me thinking.

Sure the 3DS is not hacked so a multi game flash cart would not work at all (No loader would load so to speak.), but what about a single game flash cart? If its all the same memory addresses and data how would the 3DS know its loading up a copy?

I guess what I am asking is shouldn't a 1 off flash cart work with any cart based system? Like if the ROM was controlled by a small ASIC on the cart so that if a game was X MB's then that is exactly what it would look like to the machine it was loading on. Still would be the issue of saves and that but I am too tired to even think that far.

Or does the 3DS have some sort of encryption on the carts themselves? I don't mean software encryption since that could just be copied blind and would be useless.

(It's really late like 2:30 in the morning here so I may just be having a stupid attack... lol)

Edit: After thinking about this a tiny bit more, I dimly remember early flash carts working something like this. Where you would plug the cart into a dumper and have a "blank" cart to put a ROM on so you could play your back up on real hardware. The wave of the future is the past all over again? I really should get some rest before my brain melts down.

17. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That's what Crown3DS showed.

Then they probably realized most people wouldn't buy it as they might as well be buying counterfeit chinese game copies.

18. felystar
    OP

Spain
    But where can I get a blank cart to dump a ROM in?

19. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    Ask Nintendo. I'm sure they will help.

20. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Even if you could find a blank cart i'm sure they would cost the same or even more then an offical cart so would be wise to just buy that one game then to try to buy/find all the crap to do it yourself,assuming its even possible to the public...