COMPLETED Duke Nukem 3D

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by cpasjuste, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  2. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Yeah, this is a curious problem with a lot of homebrew: the dock support is either nonexistent, or there's problems. Lakka is fine, but as of the time I'm posting this, it still doesn't have dock support, or even wireless controller support. Does it have to do with whatever the weird fuckery that's being done with the Switch's USB-C port?

3. dcx6723

dcx6723 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2016
    France
    Does it run on SX OS 8.1 ? Can't get it, I renamed a french duke grp to fit. Thanks

4. Akula

Akula Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2019
    Canada
    Duke Forces doesn't work unfortunately, it causes the Switch itself to crash. Running on 8.0 firmware, btw, with Atmosphere.

EDIT: Throws "ERROR: CACHE SPACE ALL LOCKED UP!" in the log file

Last edited by Akula, Aug 10, 2019
  5. lisko

lisko Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2018
    Italy
    Hi, would be awesome if someone take this and update it releasing a full eduke32 port with hardware render and all like the GZDoom port released. Would be awesome to be able to play the duke in all its glory with HRP! Maybe the great @fgsfds could adopt this project in his free time...

6. fgsfds

fgsfds GBAtemp Fan

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
  7. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Can you look into dock support?

mathew77 likes this.
  8. fgsfds

fgsfds GBAtemp Fan

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    That works out of the box after updating the port to use latest libraries.

9. fgsfds

fgsfds GBAtemp Fan

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    I am unsure if I should PR this or maybe post a separate thread altogether, since I don't know if @cpasjuste still wants to maintain this port, but for now this will do.

I have forked this and made some changes, namely:
    • updated the base source to SVN r8040 (latest as of this post);
    • fixed OpenGL support (no Polymer for now);
    • built it with latest libraries, including SDL_mixer with working Timidity, which means it can play MIDI music now if supplied with a proper soundfont;
    • made a few other small fixes and tweaks.
    Here is the link to the latest build of my fork. Installation should be the same as described in the OP. Some notes:
    • heavy duty mods will require a lot of memory, so as usual you should probably run this via game override or NSP hbmenu;
    • the game only saves the config when you exit via the menu option;
    • autoload folder should work, though you might have to enable it in eduke32.cfg;
    • the build is packaged with eawpats, which means you get MIDI support out of the box;
    • docked mode does work, you can change the resolution to 1920x1080 in Display Options;
    • classic renderer is still supported, you can switch to it in Display Options;
    • if the game crashes or something, don't forget to check eduke32.log in the eduke32 folder.
    Thanks to r0r0 in the ReiSwitched Discord for testing.

Masana, lisko, Badablek and 8 others like this.
  10. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    Unbelievable work as always, fgsfds!

Can't wait to have a playthrough of Duke3D again!

Not able to check right now as it's 2am but just wondering about save files. In Cpajuste's version you weren't able to overwrite saves cus you couldn't input with the keyboard. So you had to make a brand new save slot every time. Is that changed?

Last edited by Purple_Shyguy, Aug 20, 2019
  11. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Docked finally! Good work fgsfds, the 90's first person shooter king!

12. fgsfds

fgsfds GBAtemp Fan

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    EDuke32 was somewhat recently updated to add proper gamepad controls in menus, so this probably isn't a problem anymore.

mathew77 likes this.
  13. cpasjuste
    OP

cpasjuste GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    Cool, thanks :)

Feel free to open a new thread if needed, I'll probably not work a lot on this anymore. But if so, I'll do some PR :)

mathew77 likes this.
  14. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Anyone figure out how to get a custom soundfont going? I'm trying to add patch93's SC-55 soundfont. I edited timidity.cfg to uncomment sndfont.cfg as a source, then set "soundfont SC-55.sf2 order=1" as the only active line in sndfont.cfg in the timidity folder, and put the soundfont file into the timidty folder. It doesn't seem to take though, sounds like the default eawpats.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Aug 21, 2019
  15. fgsfds

fgsfds GBAtemp Fan

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    As far as I remember, SDL_mixer's built-in Timidity cannot read SF2 soundfonts. You have to provide the soundfont in separate pats like in eawpats. I don't know much about Timidity and what other soundfonts like this exist out there though.

mathew77 and Rahkeesh like this.
  16. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    You can also just download the SC-55 soundtrack and set it to autoload. That’s what I do.

17. Rahkeesh

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Yep I was doing that before this latest release to have music at all, I thought it would be cooler to use the in-game midi now though, especially for expansions or mods.

18. RisingHopperZeroOne

RisingHopperZeroOne Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2019
    Australia
    Tried Ion Fury with fgsfdsfgs's eduke32 port since it's built on eduke32 and it runs horribly, I know it's not meant to run it anyway since it is designed with only Duke Nukem 3D in mind.

19. Rahkeesh

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Its more that Ion Fury was designed for modern systems, it would run like trash on a period x86 too. So it would need a fully optimized port for Switch.

20. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Ion Fury is more demanding than you'd expect. On my (non-gaming) laptop with i5-4300 3.2GHz, 8GB RAM and Intel HD 4600 running Manjaro Linux, the game struggles to maintain 60fps at 1366x768. Obviously works perfectly on my desktop, but the point is that it being a Build engine game doesn't mean it isn't relatively demanding.