Hacking DSTT error

seiyers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I started playing Zelda-Phantom Hourglass, got as far as finally getting my cannon (yay!), turned it off, met up with friends etc, later on went to turn it back on to continue on my Link adventure only to find it said 'Save file corrupt'. And then my game got deleted!
frown.gif
Tried it again, started up a new game and saved it once all the cut scenes stopped, and that one got deleted as well, same message. I've since started a third, and just again, saved it after the cut scenes, and that one, so far, is still there. (although 0% progress).

It's not just Phantom Menace though; this morning I started playing LostMagic, another RPG. Got around 2-3 hours into it, and then saved and shut off. Left the DSlite to charge for a bit, and then came back to find that the save file wasn't even there!

Any ideas??

I thought maybe it could be that I have too many games saved on to my memory card, but that doesn't really make sense, right? Because the save files that get created when the game first gets loaded doesn't get any bigger or anything when you play?

The other thing is, other games have been fine. eg. MarioKart DS still has all of my progress to date. Could it be something with just games that take multiple saves that the DSTT just doesn't like? But I started Bomberman DS a few days ago and that still seems to be fine...

Any suggestions at all - I love my RPGs and it would suck if they all get wiped randomly into a game.

ben_not_benny

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Canada
I used to have the same problem with Elite Beat Agents, the save file resets itself after some time. Since I don't play play EBA anymore it doesn't really bother me. I never had problems with other games though.

seiyers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm loathe to blame it on either of the cards. Only other problem I've had with the cards was when I dropped my DS by accident and corrupted the MSD but it wasn't anything a format couldn't fix.

Just weird because I've tried looking for similar cases of this happening but haven't found anything

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware up to date? Current version is 1.13, if you're still running the 1.07 version that came with your DSTT it might be causing some of your problems. Otherwise, I would suspect the micro SD card. What brand is it?

litium

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think it's due to a bad MSD. I never had that problem (I use a Taiwanese Kingsont 1GB).

seiyers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
rynem said:
lol, what store did you get it at?

Store went by the name of 'Freebies from Older Siblings Inc.' Name may vary by family and location
wink.gif

Thanks, I'll try the latest kernel later tonight and see what happens.

Oh. And just to make this puzzle a little more interesting, my friend started playing FF Crystal Chronicles on it last night. Started it up this morning and the save game's still there. (for now, anyways.)

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Simple things first. Yes, not having enough free space on your microSD card can cause the problem you describe. Also, having all your games at the root can cause the problem. Make sure to put all your .nds and .sav files into a "games" folder.

-Bri

seiyers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Brilliant. Final Fantasy CC is still chugging along happily without any save/load problems, and I'm going to clear up some memory space and update to 1.13, and see if that makes any difference. Thanks all!
grog.gif

(Will also stop carrying it in my bag so it stops slapping against my leg when I walk... figure the jostling might be a factor as well.)

litium

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
My ds flew like 2 meters and still save/loads haha. I'm sure the problem is space and the kernel. I once had 5mb free on the SD and some games wouldn't even load.

seiyers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry to bump this after a bit of inactivity, but it's happened again with Phantom Hourglass.

Picked up my salvage arm and went around hauling/shooting frogs. But after hitting a frog, and they say 'oh you might want to write this down somewhere', i accessed my water-maps but found that each time after I doodled on them, the doodles never stayed on. Which led me to think that the game was screwing up again.

I saved/exited the game and when i tried to reload it, it said 'game file corrupt, data file will now be deleted' again.

Now I've read that very rarely is it ever the problem of the ROM but in this case, is it possible?

2-3 weeks ago, I had my file deleted from New Super Mario Bros as well, but that one has a better replay value and I'm not as bothered.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are all your games in a "games" folder or on the root of your microSD card? Is your microSD card nearly full?

-Bri

seiyers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yep, have always had the Games folder

MicroSD card shouldn't be even near full (I can't check at the moment because I haven't got it with me) - I removed a few games the last time I fiddled with it and don't remember adding anything new.

seiyers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kind of. Last time I updated was up to 1.13, which was the newest at the time. But, no, it's not at the most recent 1.15.

I'm not sure how to go about making sure it's something to do with the kernel without having to sink hours into gameplay and nervously load the game each time I want to play, not knowing if it will be there or not. If you know what I mean...
hate2.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would say play it a little bit between saves and make frequent backups of your save files is about all you can do until you can track down the problem. I never had a problem with saves on my DSTT like you're seeing.

Had you done anything else between saves like added or deleted any files on your PC? I wonder if your microSD reader isn't corrupting your card or something.

-Bri

seiyers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I had thought of the frequent backup option, but didn't want to resort to it. Usually it's just sheer laziness that makes me not bother with transferring files back and forth from the DS to the computer, what, with having to pop out the SD card and put it into the laptop and click around and pop it back into the DS...

Having said that, I hadn't done anything to the files on the DS since I last updated the kernel, largely because of the aforementioned laziness.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, yea