Hacking DSONE clones appear to be available for purchase

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
My experience with CoB packages is that it is done as a cost cutting measure once you go to mass production. It has the added consequence of making things harder to reverse engineer but I've never speced glob top specifically to hide something. In the case of the DSONE the originals used a ProASIC3 FPGA. The later ones have an IC with the label ground off that is I assume also some small FPGA or perhaps an actual cpu. I can only make wild guesses as to where the glob top fits in.
Both FPGAs and other type of IC I could totally see being within the epoxy blob. I was mostly just commenting to point out that it is unlikely that flashcarts would contain ASICs as the manufacturing of these custom chips is often prohibitively expensive.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Good luck^^

My dispute on aliexpress is finished too. The seller accepted my refund request, a partial refund, about 60%.
Evidence was a quick video of the supercard diagnosis and a short description of the issue...

Sounds like you got a more reasonable seller than I, but I'm also asking for a full refund, which I'm sure doesn't help. I don't think it should really be a big deal to give people who buy something that doesn't really do what it's supposed to do their money back.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. I don't need another DS card at the moment, but I may try with a lower price item before looking at something more expensive like a SNES cart.

AliExpress is the place to buy cheap flash carts

Famicom, game gear, PC engine, snes, genesis etc

Every one else will charge more, they start out expensive, then once they get mass produced, they get cheaper

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Every one else will charge more, they start out expensive, then once they get mass produced, they get cheaper
Are there reliable knockoffs of things like the El Cheapo SD for the Game Boy yet? (I'm sure GBA flash carts are abundant.)

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The prices are much better than the original hardware, that's for sure. I just was afraid that the clones were not as reliable. I'll also be sure to use a virtual and dispensable credit card for any orders.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Are there reliable knockoffs of things like the El Cheapo SD for the Game Boy yet? (I'm sure GBA flash carts are abundant.)

El cheapo SD is quite simple, it's just a max 2 epm240t cpld, 5v level shifters, 8MB of flash(4MB available iirc) , and some cart ram (128k)

Everything is done using the Gameboy CPU, GBC have faster speeds vs dmg (faster clock) when loading roms, the Max 2 simply serves as a custom MBC chip that incorporates mapper emulation, save states, and adds SD support

Loading times could be improved by adding a micro controller to handle SD communication and parsing the Filesystem, and does the flashing for you, instead of the dmg cpu, this adds complexity and cost, I think everdrive cards work like this that's why ROM loading is near instant, and have a better ui

You can download the firmware for it, which is flashed to the cpld, however it's his custom update format ( .ben), but one could dump the cpld configuration in to a vdhl and build one, also dump the 8MB flash

It also supports save states, which can be saved after power off, short press of the button enables, select + down saves state, select up loads last state, press and hold dumps cartridge saves and last save state to SD

You could probably build the El cheapo for about $30-40 usd with a BOM cost of around $15-20 per board

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.dgc1980.com
XP
Country
Australia
you can find the EZ Flash Junior on there, I have purchased 2 myself, they also sell the EverDrive GameBoy (search EDGB) but I have not tried that one. and the Juniors I got are working perfectly

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is no skin creator but theres a flash program that shows the settings for making one. http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dsone/evolution/skin_diy.htm

You will need the ruffle plugin for your browser. Since adobe stopped supporting flash. https://ruffle.rs/

I visited that page and making a flash site to make themes...i dont like it and i will never install flash on my computer. Well i will change to ysmenu its better skinnable than EOS firwmare. Thanks to help me i aprecciate it.

Note to everyone take extra care to your ds one flashcart, i dropped accidentally and have weird behavior with my microsd. Two time erased my microsd data. To fix it i put a super little stick to get super tight the enclosure of the DS one.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I visited that page and making a flash site to make themes...i dont like it and i will never install flash on my computer. Well i will change to ysmenu its better skinnable than EOS firwmare. Thanks to help me i aprecciate it.

Note to everyone take extra care to your ds one flashcart, i dropped accidentally and have weird behavior with my microsd. Two time erased my microsd data. To fix it i put a super little stick to get super tight the enclosure of the DS one.
Well technically it's not flash. It's a reverse engineering of flash.

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

No real point in getting one of these if you run YSMenu on it. You lose all the features that make the DSONE better and the time-bombed TT clones will work on any 3DS not just the hacked ones.

I wouldn't say YSMenu is more skinable than DSOne EOS, but there are far more premade skins (and the skins are far more basic as there is almost nothing to the YS interface). The guide in that flash animation is pretty comprehensive (also there's really no reason not to install the ruffle extension as it just automates running ruffle as in browser javascript to support flash, it really opens up a lot of vintage internet stuff without exposing you to anymore risk than comes with allowing javascript.)

There is also this theme template: https://gbatemp.net/threads/theme-open-source-dstwo-and-dsone-skin-opends.493661/ which while kinda ugly gives you something to work off of.

Last edited by boots_n_cats,
Reactions: Flame and Hunter

susi91

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you can find the EZ Flash Junior on there, I have purchased 2 myself, they also sell the EverDrive GameBoy (search EDGB) but I have not tried that one. and the Juniors I got are working perfectly

Thanks. :) Sadly this clones aren't as cheap as the R4 or DSONE clones :mellow:

AnotherMuggle

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't want to miss out on the action and bought one of these cards from eBay UK. It works fine and uses the official menu DSONE_SDHC_Evolution_V1.0_eng_sp6_20121030.zip.

Overall I still feel like, unless you really need RTS, the ACE3DS+ clones are still the best option. In terms of build quality they are very similar though the 3DS+ clones have some kind of sticker and don't have components visible. The spring loaded SD card slot in the DSONE clone feels like it could be a weak spot whereas the ACE3DS+ cards are not spring loaded and mine feel like a tight and flush fit.

It's nice that the DSONE cuts in before the DSi menu which the ACE3DS+ doesn't but imo it's not too important.

I noticed some minor glithces in games in the DSONE that I know also exist with YSMenu on R4 clones but are not present on the ACE3DS+. I am yet to find a commercial rom that doesn't work 100% perfectly on an ACE3DS+.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't want to miss out on the action and bought one of these cards from eBay UK. It works fine and uses the official menu DSONE_SDHC_Evolution_V1.0_eng_sp6_20121030.zip.

Overall I still feel like, unless you really need RTS, the ACE3DS+ clones are still the best option. In terms of build quality they are very similar though the 3DS+ clones have some kind of sticker and don't have components visible. The spring loaded SD card slot in the DSONE clone feels like it could be a weak spot whereas the ACE3DS+ cards are not spring loaded and mine feel like a tight and flush fit.

It's nice that the DSONE cuts in before the DSi menu which the ACE3DS+ doesn't but imo it's not too important.

I noticed some minor glithces in games in the DSONE that I know also exist with YSMenu on R4 clones but are not present on the ACE3DS+. I am yet to find a commercial rom that doesn't work 100% perfectly on an ACE3DS+.
What games are you having issues with?

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The Ace3DS+ is missing some AP patches (not a huge deal as they can be remedied with cheats) also I've never gotten WarioWare D.I.Y. to boot on an Ace3DS+ clone. Curious what glitches you are seeing on the DSONE (other than Kirby Mass Attack which is known to be temperamental on all Supercard slot-1 carts.

AnotherMuggle

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What games are you having issues with?

I'm being VERY picky (and I can't even help it :(). Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Elite Beat Agents have examples in the intro sequences where they stutter briefly as they return to the menu. To be fair these are minor issues but they don''t exist in the ACE3DS+.

The Ace3DS+ is missing some AP patches (not a huge deal as they can be remedied with cheats) also I've never gotten WarioWare D.I.Y. to boot on an Ace3DS+ clone. Curious what glitches you are seeing on the DSONE (other than Kirby Mass Attack which is known to be temperamental on all Supercard slot-1 carts.
Right you are... I just checked and WarioWare D.I.Y doesn't boot on the ACE3DS+ but does on the DSONE. I tested on a ACE3DS+ clone and two legit ACE3DS+ and none work. It is listed among the difficult but working games though, hmm.

Last edited by AnotherMuggle,

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm being VERY picky (and I can't even help it :(). Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Elite Beat Agents have examples in the intro sequences where they stutter briefly as they return to the menu. To be fair these are minor issues but they don''t exist in the ACE3DS+.

Interestingly if you run Dawn of Sorrow in clean mode on the DSOONE, the music plays smoothly all the way through without the hiccup right at the end, but the video stutters terribly.

Right you are... I just checked and WarioWare D.I.Y doesn't boot on the ACE3DS+ but does on the DSONE. I tested on a ACE3DS+ clone and two legit ACE3DS+ and none work. It is listed among the difficult but working games though, hmm.

It's a weird one. It is unique (actually maybe there was one EU only game that did this as well) in that is saves to the same NAND chip the game is stored on and has a 32MB (some sources say 16) save. The open source 1.25 version of Wood (what the Ace3DS+ and clone's kernel appear to be based on) has a code path for handling these saves but somehow it doesn't seem to work correctly (or at all?) on these carts.

Reactions: AnotherMuggle

Bens411

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Interestingly if you run Dawn of Sorrow in clean mode on the DSOONE, the music plays smoothly all the way through without the hiccup right at the end, but the video stutters terribly.

It's a weird one. It is unique (actually maybe there was one EU only game that did this as well) in that is saves to the same NAND chip the game is stored on and has a 32MB (some sources say 16) save. The open source 1.25 version of Wood (what the Ace3DS+ and clone's kernel appear to be based on) has a code path for handling these saves but somehow it doesn't seem to work correctly (or at all?) on these carts.
I tested Mario & Sonic at the winter olympics games (EU) and it doesn't work on my Ace3ds+ clone (white screen), but does on the DSOne.

AnotherMuggle

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

That's some interesting information and fits with what I found on my Google travels last night. I did notice that the ACE3DS+ creates a .fix file for Warioware that I've never seen on any other game I've tried. I looked at it and I think it was just binary data so didn't contain anything I could make sense of. But you're right, something "special" seems to be going on yet it doesn't work. I'm VERY interested in this open source Wood that you mentioned... I've never heard of it and I'd love to see the source if it's available.

EDIT: I just tried Castlevania in CLEAN mode and it doesn't boot, I just get two white screens.
EDIT2: While WarioWare does boot on the DSONE it leaves you at two black screen after the intro sequence.

I tested Mario & Sonic at the winter olympics games (EU) and it doesn't work on my Ace3ds+ clone (white screen), but does on the DSOne.

I just tested this on my legit ACE3DS+ and it worked fine - boots, runs, saves - I left it at that.

Last edited by AnotherMuggle,
Reactions: Bens411

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Mobile app is such absolute dogshit, I haven't used it in SO long
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah mobile versions better people don't think about how apps are just shrunken down websites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be the phone connection etc I've mostly been fine with the app
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Regardless fuck bezos
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Agreed. Crazy how both seeking a job at Amazon, and subsequently quitting Amazon, are both some of the best decisions I've ever made
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did someone loose a leg? You're fired
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs 55gb patch for hogwarts legacy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Teslas are prob running Windows XP to this day.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    sometimes I wonder where I went wrong and why I'm so dissatisfied with my life
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Then I find myself arguing with someone on reddit about how blatantly wrong their understanding of the USB Power Delivery specification is.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    At 1 AM.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Where did I go wrong, again? 😕
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, What do you mean?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, always blame women
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Blame woke.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Blame society.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Woke isn't part of society they woke up from it
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    *spends years yelling "wake up sheeple"
    *acts shocked when they actually wake up
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Make up your mind.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean the government doesn't care? :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The government
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkx4pNi-wvHyf8vhDN0x06Wf8J7aIgx_Hdp