Hacking DSONE clones appear to be available for purchase

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A comment on Reddit brought to my attention that there appear to be Supercard DSONE clones for sale on AliExpress[1]. Based on the photos the board layout seems to be different from the Wood R4 and DSTT clones commonly available and is in line with how SC DSONE carts are laid out. The product description indicates they are blocked on unmodified DSi and 3DS systems and there isn't any clear indication if SDHC is supported.

This is the closest thing to a new development in the DS flashcart situation we've had in a while. I'm not expecting much since the DSONE has been unsupported for a long time but I bought a couple of them out of curiosity. Hopefully in a month or so I will be able to say more about whatever the heck this thing is.

[1] Not linking but just search DSONE on aliexpress. There are like a dozen sellers.

Last edited by boots_n_cats,

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update: These things seem to be legit (clones). It runs the official kernel and seems to work flawlessly. They work on DS phat/lite and hacked DSi and 3DS systems. If you are in that boat and want a DS flashcart, these AliExpress DSONE clones might be a good option, especially if you want RTS support, as that works quite well on the DSONE. I can't say anything regarding how reliable these are long-term or what the quality control is like since I really haven't heard anyone else trying these out, but my initial experience is pretty good.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the news.

I ended up with a DSone a while back as it came in a DS I got from a car boot sale and it is a nice little cart.
Depending upon the price it might make for something other than a timebomb R4 named thing to deal with when someone wants a flash cart that plays games, does cheats and does homebrew all rather well but does not necessarily care for the fanciness.

If I am bored at some point I might grab one for a review.

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it might make for something other than a timebomb R4 named thing to deal with when someone wants a flash cart that plays games, does cheats and does homebrew all rather well but does not necessarily care for the fanciness.

I've found that it's actually pretty fancy relative to other flashcarts. It doesn't have the beefy CPU of the DSTWO but it has a much more sophisticated in-game menu than any cart other than the DSTWO. The unpatched ROM support (clean mode) occasionally helps with stubborn hacks and translations.

Reactions: swosho and Elbart

Elbart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
FWIW there are a couple of entries for those DSONE-carts on eBay now, so it's not limited to Ali.

EDIT:
Could it be that those aren't the newer ones with support for SDHC but the older ones which just support plain SD?
If it's just SD, those cards can't be used with RetroGameFan's Multi-Flashcart-Kernel. :(

Last edited by Elbart,

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's cool! Supercards did have good cards, the DSTwo being amazing at the time before 3DS mode got opened to homebrews.
Still the DSOne should definitely be a great choice even as a clone and means we don't have to track down an R4 clone which might or might not have a time bomb nowadays

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FWIW there are a couple of entries for those DSONE-carts on eBay now, so it's not limited to Ali.

EDIT:
Could it be that those aren't the newer ones with support for SDHC but the older ones which just support plain SD?
If it's just SD, those cards can't be used with RetroGameFan's Multi-Flashcart-Kernel. :(

I don't know why anyone would want to run RGF YSMenu on this thing. The normal DSONE EOS is way nicer. That being said they do work with SDHC.

Reactions: zfreeman and Elbart

Nix_Lon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
And they're now selling it on my local stores now.
How does it compare to the ACE3DS clone in terms of compatibility?

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And they're now selling it on my local stores now.
How does it compare to the ACE3DS clone in terms of compatibility?

Six of one half dozen of the other. There are a few weird gaps with the DSONE like Kirby Mass Attack having trouble with slower SD cards unless you manually AP patch the ROM (this is an issue on the DSTWO as well). On the other hand, the Ace3DS+ doesn't have AP patching for Pokemon Black/White 2. My preference is for the DSONE due to its superior feature set but I can't say one is absolutely superior in terms of compatibility.

Nix_Lon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I'll check this out next time to get rid of my worthless DSTT clone (aka R4iSDHC).
The prices of the ACE3DS clones just skyrocketed instantly ($2 -> $12) so I find interest in this clone.

Last edited by Nix_Lon,

Mnk3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If you are running Luma3DS it will just work like normal.

Thank you so much for your answer, I have a M3 DS Real and I had to make some workarounds with TWiLightMenu to make it work and it gave me some problems when I was playing. I will consider getting one then, being so cheap and having RTS seems like a great deal for me

Bens411

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also ordered one of these clones a few days ago. Anyone know if there is a timebomb?
I also ordered one yesterday to compare to my original DS One SDHC (great linker btw). If it's a 1:1 clone of the Supercard DS One, it won't have a timebomb. It's just a shame that the clones don't have any label on them, to hide the chip.

GulagSK

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you very much for your answer, it reassures me. Otherwise, I completely agree with you that the design is pretty ugly with the apparent chip.

Reactions: Bens411

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over