Not open for further replies.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I'm not too knowledgable when it comes to photo exploits, but seeing as there is only one format for photos on DSi afaik, and we don't know what library is used to handle these images, it will be hard to find an exploit. If we knew that it was a particular library, that'd help from my understanding, particularly if it was an open-source one. Also, as far as I can tell, if an image is edited and then put back on the DSi, the DSi won't display it, so we'd have to trick it into displaying it.

However, I agree that people should stop trying to decrypt DSiWare Channels, edit them and then re-encrypt them. That (probably) won't get us anywhere, because it'd have to be signed with the particular DSi's key, not just the common key, or else it wouldn't boot on that DSi, and getting said key would require running unsigned code i.e. homebrew, which brings us back to square one.

Instead, as I have said before, wait until the first DSi Enhanced game comes out so that there is a game that boots in DSi mode, and try and find a savegame exploit for it.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bannerbomb works by exploiting the way the Wii handles banners in channels. it uses a malformed banner to crash the wii and load unsigned code. i guess this could be possible on dsi, but only if nintendo made the same mistake twice. also, we'd need to be able to decrypt dsiware which would require at least the common key. which only loopy has, apparently.

shasta588

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Instead, as I have said before, wait until the first DSi Enhanced game comes out so that there is a game that boots in DSi mode, and try and find a savegame exploit for it.
at the ubisoft press conference they said one of the imagine games was going to use the dsi camera and I think it's retail

shasta588

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
at the ubisoft press conference they said one of the imagine games was going to use the dsi camera and I think it's retail

sorry for the double post

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Who is Desu, and how the flip is knowing how the iphone dev team "decrypted" (worng terminology - it'd be found) the common key (common key is USED to decrypt stuff) going to help? We're talking DSi here, not iPhone. If it was that easy, just see how it was done on other platforms and do it, do you not think we could have already done that, looking at wii or psp or something? Anyway, was the iPhone common key even found before jailbreaking? I'm not sure that it was. they just exploited a flaw in the safari browser to begin with.

seabear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Anyway, was the iPhone common key even found before jailbreaking? I'm not sure that it was. they just exploited a flaw in the safari browser to begin with.
I'm sorry I'm stupid.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
seabear said:
SifJar said:
Anyway, was the iPhone common key even found before jailbreaking? I'm not sure that it was. they just exploited a flaw in the safari browser to begin with.
I'm sorry I'm stupid.
Dont worry. It was actually a better suggestion than most of the suggestions in this thread. Dont worry, you clearly don't know much about this, but you're not stupid I'm sure
wink.gif

edracon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ask-martymcfly.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you guys looked into the Mario Kart DS glitch? It could lead to an exploit (even though it is for the old DS).
how to perform glitch:
1. go to Time Trail
2. Pick Luigi's Mansion
3. Stop on stairs at the entrance.
4. Press A+B+an arrow.
5. The game should freeze and have a sound loop.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
edracon said:
Have you guys looked into the Mario Kart DS glitch? It could lead to an exploit (even though it is for the old DS).
how to perform glitch:
1. go to Time Trail
2. Pick Luigi's Mansion
3. Stop on stairs at the entrance.
4. Press A+B+an arrow.
5. The game should freeze and have a sound loop.

If it doesn't access the DSi mode then how could it lead to an exploit for the DSi?

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
OK. Now, I know not of a single thing at all to do with coding in the slightest. I'm 14, so, y'know, it's not like I'm 23 or something and maybe should know it if I want to go into computers.

BUT I am going to take a photo and edit it on my laptop. Question is, what shall I use to edit? Paint? I have Fireworks, but...I've got Windows 7's Paint, which is a helluva lot better than all other Paint's. But anyway, if anyone else is willing to help, then come along.

For those who don't know why I'm doing this, to put it simply, I'm going to try and make the DSi crash taking a normal photo. This causes a buffer overflow (look back a page or Google to find out what that means). By doing this, we could be able to run unsigned code and, hopefully, install a Homebrew Channel. But we're just hoping that there is a buffer overflow. There was in the PSP, so hopefully there will be here.

Thanks, and goodbye.

EDIT: So, took a picture and edited it using Paint, left the file extension and stuff but the DSi won't open it. Hmm.
EDIT2: So, opening it with Paint and saving it again destroys it. That's without editing it at all. Hmmm, now what to do...
EDIT3: Tried the PSP chickHEN images, put the in JPG's and renamed them, but the DS won't recognise them at all (don't show up)...I don't think this is going to work.
EDIT4: OK, I now think that there is an internal system file that seems to have when any pictures where taken inside. When I clicked on SD Card after doing some stuff to it, it did say 'Checking Data Management Data...', which has made me think this. Soi if we find a way of deleting this file, which will require DSi access anyway, then it's not going to work.
EDIT5: Even after trying a 640x480 image I found off the Internet, the DSi will still not open it. Hmmm.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You won't have any luck trying to edit the pictures from the DSi Camera.
The DSi will only show images in the album if the photo was taken on the DSi's camera.
This is because of the JPEG header in the file which tells the DSi or a computer which device or program created the image.
When you open the images in Paint and save them, the header in the JPEG is changed to say that the image was created in Paint, so therefore will not display on the DSi.
I think the only way to go about doing this is hex editing the JPEG files to load a file from the SD card.
Doing this will not touch the header of the JPEG at all, so the image should appear on the DSi.

Good luck!
yaynds.gif

T...

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
OK. Now, I know not of a single thing at all to do with coding in the slightest. I'm 14, so, y'know, it's not like I'm 23 or something and maybe should know it if I want to go into computers.

BUT I am going to take a photo and edit it on my laptop. Question is, what shall I use to edit? Paint? I have Fireworks, but...I've got Windows 7's Paint, which is a helluva lot better than all other Paint's. But anyway, if anyone else is willing to help, then come along.

For those who don't know why I'm doing this, to put it simply, I'm going to try and make the DSi crash taking a normal photo. This causes a buffer overflow (look back a page or Google to find out what that means). By doing this, we could be able to run unsigned code and, hopefully, install a Homebrew Channel. But we're just hoping that there is a buffer overflow. There was in the PSP, so hopefully there will be here.

Thanks, and goodbye.

EDIT: So, took a picture and edited it using Paint, left the file extension and stuff but the DSi won't open it. Hmm.
EDIT2: So, opening it with Paint and saving it again destroys it. That's without editing it at all. Hmmm, now what to do...
EDIT3: Tried the PSP chickHEN images, put the in JPG's and renamed them, but the DS won't recognise them at all (don't show up)...I don't think this is going to work.
EDIT4: OK, I now think that there is an internal system file that seems to have when any pictures where taken inside. When I clicked on SD Card after doing some stuff to it, it did say 'Checking Data Management Data...', which has made me think this. Soi if we find a way of deleting this file, which will require DSi access anyway, then it's not going to work.
EDIT5: Even after trying a 640x480 image I found off the Internet, the DSi will still not open it. Hmmm.

It's gonna take more than paint to allow the file to be read by the dsi, it either uses a special header or something like a container, basically something that the dsi looks for while opening it, I bet that somebody with experience in this king of thing could find something, but it doesn't seem like any body wants to

Posts merged

QUOTE(Livin in a box @ Jun 17 2009, 08:43 AM) OK. Now, I know not of a single thing at all to do with coding in the slightest. I'm 14, so, y'know, it's not like I'm 23 or something and maybe should know it if I want to go into computers.

Thanks, and goodbye.

It's gonna take more than paint to allow the file to be read by the dsi, it either uses a special header or something like a container, basically something that the dsi looks for while opening it, I bet that somebody with experience in this king of thing could find something, but it doesn't seem like any body wants to

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
I dont think its in the header. If you make a copy of a JPG its not even able to show that copy on the DSi(and a copy should be the exact same just another filename rigth?). This means it can somehow remember what pictures you have..

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmmm, maybe some one could take two pictures (or more, doesn't matter), one of say a black page of paper, another of a white page, so they'd be completely different images, then open them in a hex editor and see what bits are the SAME. Then take that bit and put it in another image and see if that works. but if what the guy above ^^ suggests is true, that won't work either. but worth a try I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just double click the folder and add it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The root folder where you have games stored
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Yeah, just try the "add new game directory".
  • JefferyCuddletrousers @ JefferyCuddletrousers:
    no error message, and its just a file not a folder
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    And do what the troll said.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but Citra uses that to scan folders
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So it could be like C:\\Games\folder\game.Cci
    nothing like that pops up
    wait i mightve gotten it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'll want to add c:\\Games\folder
    it works now i have no clue what just happened?

:nayps3:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can also drag and drop the game into it for future reference
    i know that, it just wouldnt show because it had to be a file and it wasnt
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well now it works
    yeah im confused but thanks all for trying to help haha
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Think this Nyko PowerPak+ in my OG 3DS is starting to expand ever so slightly 😨 what a shame, to have to go back to an OG size battery soon.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most emulators will be like that where it asks for a parent directory
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, 3ds batteries are fairly cheap just don't overspend on oem
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Yeah I just like this massive extended battery lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol length
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember those psp batteries that came with bulged psp battery covers
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    my PSP battery started swelling up AGES ago