Homebrew DSi Hacking IDEAS

RiderLeangle

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2009
Messages
511
Trophies
0
Age
30
Website
ridersrealm.b1.jcink.com
XP
1,792
Country
United States
Before you get your hopes up.. there is no DSi hack.. I only made this topic to share a couple of concepts I thought of, these concepts are untested and have not been proven to be possible.. Anyways.. Both concept involve some sort of buffer overflow from content on the SD card to possibly get it to read other files, this is unconfirmed if this is remotely possible...

1st Concept:
Sound File hacks..
Is it possible to make a specially encoded AAC file to be played in the standard player app? possibly one that opens up the SD card to see other files on the SD card, seeing your own pictures, play ROMs (Homebrew, I don't advise piracy.. But I'm not against it either..), and possibly install a homebrew channel if possible once the DSi's operation is figured out.

2nd Concept:
Flipnote alteration..
Similar to the first concept. Although as opposed to sound files use Flipnote Studio (Free on DSiWare) files saved to the SD card, edit that, and then put it back on with these hypothetical hacks allowing you to use them.



Sorry if these theories are a bit out there since I don't have hacking experience, but I'm trying to give ideas to people who do and are working on the DSi in hopes homebrew could be made and readily available soon without a flashcart or editing save files of a commercial cart
 

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Joined
May 29, 2009
Messages
1,725
Trophies
0
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
2,302
Country
United States
RiderLeangle said:
1st Concept:
Sound File hacks..
Is it possible to make a specially encoded AAC file to be played in the standard player app? possibly one that opens up the SD card to see other files on the SD card, seeing your own pictures, play ROMs (Homebrew, I don't advise piracy.. But I'm not against it either..), and possibly install a homebrew channel if possible once the DSi's operation is figured out.

2nd Concept:
Flipnote alteration..
Similar to the first concept. Although as opposed to sound files use Flipnote Studio (Free on DSiWare) files saved to the SD card, edit that, and then put it back on with these hypothetical hacks allowing you to use them.
3rd concept:
Bannerbomb DS...
 

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
6,606
Trophies
1
Location
USA
XP
611
Country
United States
You can bet that if either of those ideas are possible, some experienced hacker is working on it. My guess is that neither is possible (or at least no where near that simple) to achieve, otherwise the DSi would have already been hacked.

Besides, once some exploit eventually does get made, then Ninty will just issue a firmware update to stop it.
 

RiderLeangle

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2009
Messages
511
Trophies
0
Age
30
Website
ridersrealm.b1.jcink.com
XP
1,792
Country
United States
Rayder said:
You can bet that if either of those ideas are possible, some experienced hacker is working on it. My guess is that neither is possible (or at least no where near that simple) to achieve, otherwise the DSi would have already been hacked.

Besides, once some exploit eventually does get made, then Ninty will just issue a firmware update to stop it.
Maybe those ones might already be being worked on and it's being kept under lock and key so Nintendo doesn't hear about it perhaps? (which I didn't think of when I made the topic XD)

QUOTE(UniqueGeek @ Nov 3 2009, 06:16 PM) 3rd concept:
Bannerbomb DS...
Not that different considering both methods are pretty much buffer overflows which in a sense bannerbomb is. If anything that one sounds like it'd be harder to pull off than the sound one, might be easier than the FNS one.
 

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
2,678
Trophies
0
Location
USA
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
258
Country
United States
UniqueGeek said:
RiderLeangle said:
1st Concept:
Sound File hacks..
Is it possible to make a specially encoded AAC file to be played in the standard player app? possibly one that opens up the SD card to see other files on the SD card, seeing your own pictures, play ROMs (Homebrew, I don't advise piracy.. But I'm not against it either..), and possibly install a homebrew channel if possible once the DSi's operation is figured out.

2nd Concept:
Flipnote alteration..
Similar to the first concept. Although as opposed to sound files use Flipnote Studio (Free on DSiWare) files saved to the SD card, edit that, and then put it back on with these hypothetical hacks allowing you to use them.
3rd concept:
Bannerbomb DS...
23rd concept:
Mind Control DS
 

SifJar

Not a pirate
Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Messages
6,022
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
1,172
Country
bannerbomb - probably unlikely for quite a while seeing as channels will have to be completely reversed and the banner format reversed and examined, and the system menu examined for banner handling flaws, all of which would take a while.

sound - probably unlikely, i believe most sound formats are pretty stable, and AAC was probably chosen because its not a "standard" format like MP3, so is probably harder to make exploits for. This is also probably the main reason there is only one format supported, so there is less chance of one of the supported formats being exploitable

flipnote studio - the format of animations will have to be figured out, and examined, but seeing as it is a new format, made specifically for flipnote (or is it??? it could just be gif or something with a few extra bits tacked on, like different header and stuff), its possible it could have bugs, more so than established formats like AAC and stuff. I'd say this is probably the most likely exploit.

TBH, the most likely exploit is probably a save game exploit for DSiWare, as it will be easy to install a hacked game save (once someone makes one), unlike with cartridge based games, and it doesn't require reverse engineering of a particular file format. but I dunno, i could be way out on that one.
 
D

Deleted_171835

Guest
Everything and the kitchen sink!
tongue.gif
In all seriousness I wouldn't mind the ability to play DS games on the menu and take photos from the computer and put them on the DSi!
 

Quick-zeno

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
151
Trophies
0
XP
100
Country
Canada
Well, the sound one is quiet possible to make a system crash, I could possibly do that but wouldn't be able to incorporate the booting of a homebrew file.

Alot of these exploit ideas /could/ be possible, the time to actually pull them off.
 

RiderLeangle

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2009
Messages
511
Trophies
0
Age
30
Website
ridersrealm.b1.jcink.com
XP
1,792
Country
United States
YayMii said:
Oh wait, what about the hack Yasu made that uses the DSi Photo Channel?
If you watch the videos you'll find out that's not what he did.. notice in hello world that the thing that has the pictures at the top is the thing that tells you how to put pictures on the top screen in the menu when you don't have any stared but in Japanese. And in the brief moment you can see the camera app is NOT the one it's on and when you press power and reset it to the menu it has it from the last app open, where his was was from the cartridge (or whatever he moved into that zone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKxWSENwGo
 

RiderLeangle

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2009
Messages
511
Trophies
0
Age
30
Website
ridersrealm.b1.jcink.com
XP
1,792
Country
United States
Well I made an accidental discovery that could probably help.
Apparently the sound channel can play .mp4 videos (well... only the sound, but it still opens them).
Maybe that means a .mp4 hack can be made and the DSi sound channel can open it? Because MP4 is a much easier file type to mess with than AAC files are.
 

jeremy506

Some dude.
Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
587
Trophies
0
Location
America
XP
162
Country
Nauru
The DSi was released this year, so Nintendo will probaly make a firmware update and screw it up so we can hack it.. and new extenctions will be revealed.
 

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
3,462
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
North East Scotland
XP
669
Country
AAC was chosen because its an open format while MP3 requires a license or something like that. Its only a small amount per console but Nintendo are being cheap obviously.
 

WioWao

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
198
Trophies
0
XP
67
Country
Skullcollector said:
Can users not hide files within pictures?

Youtube video here -snip-

But SC you forgot that the DSi wont recognize pictures not taken by itself
smile.gif
 

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    The mechs of mw2 really don't feel that bad
    +2
  • Shape @ Shape:
    Neither do the mechs of mech warrior 2. Much better game.
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    People would say different if cod Gundam was a thing
    +1
  • Shape @ Shape:
    Omg do you know how much money I would spend if that was a thing? Especially if you get to assemble the gundams somewhat like those old model toy kits. The answer is zero dollars. I would spend zero dollars. It would still be so good, though.
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Liar
    +1
  • Shape @ Shape:
    $118.49
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    I bought 1-2 switch, imagine my pain
    +2
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    for full price at launch
    +2
  • Shape @ Shape:
    Full price at launch for full exploitability without modchips. Or so I hear.
    +1
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    You should like buy a 3rd one and ship it to my address
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    No no lads, the game called 1-2 switch
    +1
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    Where you feel the controller vibrate and guess how many virtual ice cubes are inside of it
    +2
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    You should still buy me a switch so I don't have to pay for it
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    best game on the switch amirite
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i just saw a video yesterday that mentioned how it's a good thing 1-2-switch wasn't a pack in title because it would've made everyone lose faith in the switch immediately and they might have a point
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    It was this one, The "video" Jdbye watched this one. :P
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    What no The Real video Jdbye?
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    @Shape, Quake is great.
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    QUAKER OATS! :P
    +1
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Remember to eat your oats
    +1
  • Shape @ Shape:
    I prefer to nuke my oats. At quake.
    +1
    K3N1 @ K3N1: https://youtube.com/shorts/as489gU7sLo?feature=share