DSi and flachcarts

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Supacasey, Oct 27, 2008.

Oct 27, 2008

DSi and flachcarts by Supacasey at 7:43 AM (1,711 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Supacasey
    OP

Newcomer Supacasey Newbie

United States
  2. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    It's possible that some (if not all) won't work due to new protection. But I actually think Cyclo would be one of the more likely candidates to make a fix.

3. agentgamma

Member agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Antarctica
    I cant wait for the CFWs =P
    When that happens, everyone will want a DSi

4. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    *sigh* I've posted this nearly a dozen times, but people still don't seem to understand. The DSi is not a "new" handheld. It is another revision of the DS. As such, it will most likely contain all the same hardware as the original DS. Also, DS flashcarts function the exact same way as normal carts. There is nothing to stop them from working. The only thing that could possibly pose an issue is if they block games without verification from Nintendo (as they show up as flashcarts in the main menu, not retail games), but that would be stupid as they would have to roll out an firmware update with every new game that comes out. And also, were that to happen, flashcart teams would just make it so the cart shows up as NSMB or something like that. Problem solved.

Short answer: All signs point to yes. If they don't work immediately, they will work soon.

5. acks45

Newcomer acks45 Member

Canada
    As a moderator on the cyclo forums said they would have to scrap compatibility with every DSL rom to prevent a cyclo card from working. that being said I'm still nervous about the first time I use my cyclo on my ds

6. skyman747

Member skyman747 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Someone mentioned this in another thread, and I agree. The cards that boot as a normal game and go to DS menu will work perfectly, but DS cards that load directly to the cards Menu, such as R4, will not work.

7. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    But that is a very simple fix. Any card that doesn't work immediately will be fixed within the week.

8. berkley

Newcomer berkley Advanced Member

Canada
    Really the only way to know is to wait it out, once someone gets a cyclo and a DSi then we will know and hopefully it will only need an easy fix [​IMG]

9. KamuiX

Member KamuiX GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Does anyone know if flashcards like m3 real,N5,cyclods etc work on the new DSi. Sorry my question maybe stupid but i haven't followed the scene until a couple of days ago.

10. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    apparently no one has any dsi yet to even speculate something

11. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    ^-- what he said.

Why on earth would you ask a question about the DSi if it's not available yet?

It's like asking if the PS4 will be backwards compatible. [​IMG]

12. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    ^isnt the ps4 backwards compatible?

13. linkenski

Member linkenski GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    "^isnt the ps4 backwards compatible?"

teh dumbest line i have evar heard! so awesome.
    unless nintendo makes firmware updates, flashcards will be available, but anyways we'd possibly be able to run HB and Roms through SD card.

14. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    There is no chance in hell that we'll be running HB and roms off of the SD until there's either a custom firmware, or a firmware hack (or exploit found) as a work around. Nintendo will NOT have that option available, and it'll probably take 6-12 months before that option has any possibility for opening up.

As for flash cards, why would they be blocked? If the DS can play a flash card, and the DSi can play regular DS games, then regular DS roms could go onto a flash cart and still play on the DSi. The DSi ONLY games might have problems, but they'd have to change the way regular DS carts work in order to fully block flash cart use. And then, the firmware on the flash carts can be updated as a work around.

This is purely speculation of course, but i HIGHLY doubt flash carts will be blocked on the DSi.

15. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    There has been the same topic made yesterday!
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112113

And there were many discussions in the past already..
    We don't know if it'll be compatible, but we know, even if it isn't, some skillful people will surely find a way to hack it, and make flashcarts work..

Topic closed AND moved to appropriate section!

Actually, I decided to merge those two topics, as they are on the same subject, so continue on discussion!

16. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    All I can say is 'We don't know until we can try it!!'