DSFlash (SWF player)

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by raystriker, Jun 5, 2012.

Jun 5, 2012

DSFlash (SWF player) by raystriker at 6:03 PM (5,482 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. raystriker
    OP

Member raystriker Computer Hardware Enthusiast

India
    Hi Guys , I am posting a nds homebrew app originally by
    Alexei Karpenko aka ​
    Natrium42 http://www.natrium42.com.
    This is a simple swf player for the ds
    download it here-------dsflash-0.1.zip
    NOTE- I have not made or contributed in any way!
    All thanks to natrium42!

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    This is a concept application, it has limited compatibility, low framerate and no sound.

It was made to show that the DS is not beefy enough for Flash.

3. Wolfenpilot687

Newcomer Wolfenpilot687 Member

Mexico
    What about DSTwo? Would it be enough?

4. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    It hasn't been made with the dstwo in mind, so no.

5. Wolfenpilot687

Newcomer Wolfenpilot687 Member

Mexico
    Yes, I know. But if someone was to develop something similar, with the DSTwo in mind, the extra CPU power would be enough for Flash?
    Still, I know the source for DSFlash was never released...

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    There's a difference between being possible, and being feasible.

Playing flash like youtube and such on the DS is possible, just like it's possible to cut down a tree with your teeth.

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I'll be honest here, I just don't get the purpose of this thread at all. Yeah Natrium42 made a proof-of-concept Flash compilation here YEARS ago, aka http://natrium42.com/blog/?p=36 , but...

Have we forgotten that Natrium42 is also responsible for ALL DS HOMEBREW EVER?!?! That he created the first PassMe, and PassMe2, and was indirectly responsible for the NoPass devices? And here we are blaming him for not being able to port over a GPL implementation of the proprietary Flash binaries. Dafuck.

Perhaps with the extra CPU horsepower of the DS:Two it might be possible to play back Flash files, or Flash-based video streams. Just never forget our not-so-humble beginnings.

(on a side note, thank you Rydian for being rational as always)

8. iSubaru

Member iSubaru Kitsune

Poland
    Then I will show You what Ice Teeth spell can do with trees ;3

Theoretically playing Youtube doesn't mean "we need flash"
    With DSTwo and SLOT-2 EXA Mem... *cough* I mean Expansion Pack, I believe it would be possible to stream YouTube video part by part and play it on DS even if it would be 240p videos only
    iPhone is clean proof of being able to play YT without that product of Hell CO which Flash is... (Apple and Adobe hates each other buehehehe)
    However DS itself even with Expansion Pack is not enough for that

Also for extra info being a little bitsy offtopic
    3DS has enough power to even use that pesky Flash I believe or even if not Flash(y) then as above, streaming and using external application without pesky Flash, pfff

9. Rydian

United States
    You can do it without flash, but you need a setup with youtube.

AFAIK it's possible to use youtube's API to stream on websites through something like JWplayer, but then you'd be at the same sort of crossroads in actually grabbing the video file and streaming it to the DS.

10. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    The bandwidth is an issue here - dswifi is a huge bottleneck. I'm afraid that streaming just about any video to the DS will result in a wonderful slideshow.

11. iSubaru

Member iSubaru Kitsune

Poland
    Aye in the end it would be just streaming/grabbing video from the YT site but better than nothing :P
    Aye we would have to utilize microSD card to download it as "buffer" and then play it from card once it gets some nice part or once it gets whole video depending on if it can keep grabbing and play it decently (still assuming we get 240p or some similar low quality stuff for now)

12. Rydian

United States
    The DS can barely play 24FPS video from a microSD naturally as it it, and that's after conversion. So it'd need to be streamed (slow as hell), converted (video conversion on the DS = slower than hell), and either resized when converted (so even slower conversion), or cropped (as the DS is 256x192).

13. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I would go the way...
    @[member='YoshiInAVoid']
    ...wants to go.

This kind of thing *requires* an external server. A program that will receive a request from the DS to download a very specific video from Youtube, then decompress it as much as possible, downscale it to the DS's native resolution, drop the color palette to 16-bit max, preferably 8-bit, compress the video into a digestable format, such as .DPG, send a download link to the DS awaiting user confirmation, stream the entire file to FAT and THEN the DS can play it.

This saves a lot of horsepower on the DS's side as it literally only sends a request and gets the file from a PC which will handle it far quicker than the DS itself.

If we really want "streaming", then the PC can just as well cut the video into neat 2 megabyte parts that will fit into a buffer and alternate the sent parts as the video plays, creating a seamless buffering scheme.

14. YoshiInAVoid

Member YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    No matter what approach you use, YouTube simply will not be practical on the DS. I have a 1/2 working YouTube DS app on my DS and I've just given up; you type something on the virtual keyboard and then it sends a request to a PHP file on one of my sites which retrives results from a YouTube search query, you pick a result and it sends another request to a different PHP file which downloads the YouTube video and stores it as an FLV file, then a link to that FLV file is sent to online-convert.com which puts your file in a que, after what seems like 10000 years of tedious waiting you finally get your DPG file which can be played with moonshell, woop de doo. Did I mention the memory leaks caused by ky_getUrl? If you send too many requests you get the "guru meditation error" which most of you know from DS Organize.

Even if it did get released YouTube are constantly changing their server stuff so YouTube DS would break after a while unless someone decides to maintain the world's most unusable program.

Call me when the 3DS is hacked.

15. Rydian

United States
    Well when youtube's stuff changes won't the PHP stuff need to be the part modified, not the DS side? That'll likely make maintenance easier (what with PHP being interpreted so you don't need to worry about the source being lost compared to the binary people are more likely to distribute, like with homebrew).

I won't lie, I'd be interested in a copy. I mean you put the work into it and it's proof-of-concept, right?

16. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    This is what I did not like about your approach. The actual search query operations should be handled by the PC which runs the server - each user having their own server up and running. The DS shouldn't send more than a simple string for the PHP search engine to use - kyGetURL isn't perfect as you said and there's really no point in using it when you don't have to.

Moreover, you don't need to use Online-Convert at all when you could use BatchDPG or another open source converter on the "Mother" PC. The more websites you visit the longer this process takes.

17. Rydian

United States
    In order to run that program, though, the server needs support for it (CGI/whatever), and lots of free or cheap hosts don't.

If this is running on a host computer, then it needs to be port-forwarded to allow this to work away from home, and the internet connection on the home PC has an upload speed much much less than that of your average site host.

18. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Well, with hardware as weak as the DS, you don't really have much of a choice unless you want to break out your wallet. Trust me, the DS will not download more than the average chap's Upload rate.

19. Rydian

United States
    I was talking about uploading it to the file conversion site, but now realize the point of running it on a PC would be to avoid that.

20. eyecat14

Member eyecat14 GBATemp's Lovely Jizzing Mordecai™

United States
    Brb becoming a beaver.