Batman1701

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RE Urza: Ok, you can post someone else's opinion . . . but do you have one of your own? Moreover, the other person's opinion still doesn't give any actual, you know, reasons. Just says "over-hyped" and "under-achieving." What, precisely, does that mean?

RE kmihalj: No support for Mac or Linux? Ok, that's a valid complaint. I can see how that'd get on some folks nerves.

JPH

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Batman1701 said:
My question here is . . . what's everyone's problem with the DS-X? Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smartass, I genuinely want to know, why do you folks hate it? Did you ever even use it? What makes all the other cards "better?"

Heh-heh, loozer n00b like DS-X OMGWTF!!??!?!!!11
tongue.gif

I think almost everyone dislikes the cart because it's a rip-off.
The DS-X Team support for the cart sucks. They didn't do as they promised.
The cart itself is expensive...and for half the price of a DS-Xtreme I can get an R4, M3, etc
I'm sure it isn't the worse flashcart around, but it just can't compete with the likes of the R4, M3, etc
Those carts have better compatibility and are easier to use (and costs less).

Batman1701

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JPH said:
Heh-heh, loozer n00b like DS-X OMGWTF!!??!?!!!11
tongue.gif

Cute
rolleyes.gif

Price? Eeyyyeeeeh . . . at the time it first came out (it WAS the first/only slot-1 solution), I didn't care. I can see how now, especially with other technology on the market, how this might be more of a problem. However, that still doesn't relate to the abilities of the card itself. If I had to chose now, yes, I'd go with a cheaper card, but that doesn't make the DS-X "bad."

Better compatibility? Judging from the DS-X compatibility list, I'd say the DS-X is pretty damn compatible. And like I said, the few save issues are only an issue if you can't stand only playing one DS game at a time.

Easier to use? Please explain.

ilovengage

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I bought the DS and compared to other flash cards it was very expensive, yes.

BUT: I don't see any reason why I should by a new flash card, especially not since using the fw 1.1.3 beta because it doesn't require any manual arm7 patching any more. I don't need things like cheating compatibilty or going back to the menu when I want to change the game. Of course, if you've got a problem with that the DS-X isn't good enough for you.

But I'm very annoyed about this childish bashing guys who can't stop to bash bash bash in EVERY topic about the DS-X. Hell, get a life instead of spending so much time for complaining about a flash card!

Batman1701

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ilovengage said:
. . . especially not since using the fw 1.1.3 beta because it doesn't require any manual arm7 patching any more.

Speaking of 1.1.3b (just so the mods don't think I'm ignoring the actual topic of this thread) and the arm7 thing . . . will all my arm7-patched roms still work fine, or do I have to get them all again? 'Cause let me tell you, if they don't work with the update, I'm not bothering, as my connection is so slow, reaquiring all my apps would take a month (no, not literally people
dry.gif
).

Also, does 1.1.3b fix the aforementioned EEPROM save glitch

ilovengage

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I was having patched games on my DS-X before updating and after updating they still worked. I think it was DQM Jokers US which I even played in the US version (arm 7 patched) and later switched to the European rom without patching - and the save still worked. I haven't tried a huge amount of games, but those I tried all worked.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They wayyyy overcharged for it. Even if it was the beginning of the slot-1 era. It's like buying Bose or Apple computers. That's pretty much why I laugh.

amemoryoncelost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sold mine a few months ago and picked up a cyclo. To the dude who is oblivious to what other carts out there and still on the ds-x bandwagon, just try another cart and you'll see why the ds-x is garbage.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Batman1701 said:
kazumi213 said:
Just try any of the other (main) flashcards and discover for yourself.

Not an answer. Question still stands.

EDIT: I did read your whole bit about the save compression problems in some games. Yes, this is annoying, but if you know about the problem going into the game and just stick to playing that game through to completion, it's not a major problem.

That's why I'm not going to offer a more elaborated answer. It would be futile.

Regarding your question about DS-X "EEPROM engine" (term by DS-X Guru): some improvements were made but I still maintain that save compression is the cause of most save corruption problems and that their "dynamic EEPROM" approach (which essentially means that some storage space is used to temporally allocate EEPROM contents when required) causes weird behaviors (still recently reported for 1.1.3b), like "my game returned to an old save". If you think on it, this is only possible if some leftover of past allocated EEPROM contents remains on the storage space, while it should be completely flushed after writting the .SAV file for this approach to properly and safely work.

To answer your question anyway: I hate the DS-X because it is an unreliable piece of shit for which I paid 110€ (512 Mbyte model).

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Instead of pointless bickering over flashcarts (which is even more pathetic than OS wars), does anyone know what this update adds? Does compatibility go up? No more need for the arm7fix?

Wanted

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
robi said:
Instead of pointless bickering over flashcarts (which is even more pathetic than OS wars), does anyone know what this update adds? Does compatibility go up? No more need for the arm7fix?

After a brief check on their forums yes it fixes arm7.

you are welcome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Load up your pc and monitor, and head to a McDonalds dining room, they have free WiFi