Hacking ds shuts down when using m3real

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,009
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted User

OP
Hey all. I have had my m3 real for at least a year and a half now working with no problems. But I'm having a weird one now. I use m3sakura. It just started happening one day. Whenever I try to play a ds rom, doesn't matter, they all do it. After playing for about 1 minute my ds shuts down. All the way. Totally off. I tried playing a legit ds cartridge and it plays fine. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm downloading the latest version of sakura to see if this fixes my problem. I'll check back in once I have it installed and tested. But I'm just looking for some input by anyone. Thanks

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem with my CycloDS and DSLite. Games would run fine and then the DSLite would shut off. It would happen with retail carts too, but less frequently. Usually happened when the "B" button was pressed. Try your M3Real in a DS you know is functioning fine, then you can determine for sure where the fault lies.

Hadou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been having the same problem. I've been using my M3 Real for about 2 years now, and for about 22 of those 24 months, my M3 has worked perfectly. About 4 months ago, I started using the M3 Sakura, switching between Touchpod and Sakura. Now, whatever game I play, my DSLite shuts down randomly,about 1 minute in. It also happens with retail carts, quite regularly. I also own a DSi, so I now use that for my retail stuff, but I don't have an M3 Zero thingy, so my ROMs are all tied to my DSLite. Although I'm glad I'm not alone, I also feel quite powerless:
I don't know what the cause is
I don't know how to stop it
And I'm wondering, if I send my DSLite in (which could be the problem) to Nintendo, can they figure out if I have used a flashcart on it?

If anyone quite even remotely help, please PM me or something.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In my case it was the DSLite. I assume it's something on the main circuit board although nothing was visibly broken. My DSLite was long out of warranty so it wasn't worth getting it fixed. Nintendo can't tell if you have used a flashcart or not. If yours is under warranty they will just swap out the mainboard and send it back to you.

D

Deleted User

OP
I thought I fixed it, but am only more confused. I updated to the latest version of sakura. Also, my card was just about completely full, like 4 KB free. So I cleared up space as well. I was busy afterwards, so I didn't test it, but I let one of my roommates play Brain Age, and it didn't shut down for like 30 minutes. I thought it was all better. So I booted up NSMBDS, and it shutdown right about when it does every other time. So I guess it's not fixed. My flashcart may just be finicky about what roms it likes to play now. I'm going to redownload NSMB and try again. Also, this problem started happening after I got Scribblenauts when it launched. I'm gonna have to try a larger selection of games later. I'll let you know what goes down.

Hadou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe it didn't shut down on brain age because you don't use the B Button?
I was testing it, I deliberately held down B, and it died every time.
Thanks for all the advice, I'll see about sending it to Nintendo, or I might just buy a M3 Zero
(The problem doesn't develop on a DSi right? I can't have that die on me aswell!)

Please let me know if using my DSi and not my DSLite will fix the problem.

EDIT: I have emailed the Nintendo Service Centre. They have said that they will fix it for free even though it is out of warranty (yay!) I'll edit this post to tell you guys if all goes well, but thanks for all the help.

D

Deleted User

OP
OMG Hadou you are a genius! It never crossed my mind. It turns out that when I press y and b at the same time the system almost always shuts off immediately. Crazy. I always use y to run and b to jump while playing nsmb, so that must be why it was always the worst in that game. What did you say to Nintendo to get them to fix it? Mine is waaay out of warranty at this point, and I really don't want to have to buy another ds if they might fix it. Also, it does this from the ds system menu, so it's def. not my m3 real.

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a similiar issue:
I bought myself a new onyx dslite and gave my son my white one which is running M3SD Perfect.
It worked perfectly for me for the couple of years I had it, but then my son started complaining that it would shut off while playing certain games, especially NSMB & M&L:PIT. After it shuts off, sometimes it's hard to power it back on.

At first I thought he must have dropped it too hard.
Next, I thought maybe it was the battery (since I had recently installed a new oem battery). However, switching batteries affected nothing. Then I notice that the shut offs DID coinside with mashing the buttons.

If Nintendo is willing to take a unit back and fix it for free, then perhaps they are aware of a defect that some units may have. A defect is something that they would probably need to fix even after the warranty has lapsed.

I'm curious to know how Nintendo will handle Hadou's dslite.

D

Deleted User

OP
So I emailed Nintendo customer support yesterday. Here's what I said.

"My ds lite is out of warranty but it needs repairs. My l button does not work very much any more. It doesn't register clicking it 95% of the time. Also, more importantly, it seems that whenever I press the y button, or y button and b button at the same time the system shuts off completely making it impossible to play most games, esspecially games new New Super Mario Bros. Can this be repaired?"

And here's their response about 12 hours later.

"Hello,

I’m glad you’ve taken the time to alert us to the issue you’re having with your DS Lite. I’m confident that it can be resolved. While I would normally be able to provide you with a written response, your situation requires that you speak to us by phone. That way, we can get all of the details and work out the best solution.

At your earliest convenience, please contact Nintendo’s Consumer Service Department by calling (removed) any time between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week.

Sincerely, "

I'm at work right now so I can't call. But once I do i will post back here with results. I am hopeful though!

Update:
So I spoke with a very nice CSR at Nintendo. They won't fix it for free unfortunately, but he told me that for $50 they will fix it. This includes shipping both ways. He said it will take about 8-12 days to fix. If they cannot fix it they will give me a new ds lite. Either way, fixed or new, it gets a new 1 year warranty. Also, I've read online most people saying fixes are normally $75, and on the phone he told me that normally OOW fixes are $85. So I'm pretty pleased with $50 to fix or get a new ds. I have been thinking about getting a new ds, so this is totally a better option than that.

Hadou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay firstly, I did not work the B button thing out - read the posts above!
Also, I told them that I believed it was a manufacturing fault, and they replied saying they would see what they could do, so I plan on sending it in today (I got sidetracked). I also told them it was out of warranty, but they still said okay.
After trying a large selection of games, i've noticed that those games that are touch screen based (eg Brain Age) work fine with normal use, but Button intensive games (NSMB and Yoshi's Island) shut down after 1-2 minutes of play, sometimes instantly.
Like you RomanHelmet, it shuts off when on the system menu as well.
Also, I'm from the UK, so maybe service is different between NoE and NoA (I noticed you were quoting dollars) and they haven't told me of any payment yet.
djnate27: I have no problems rebooting after the shut downs, but I am using the original battery with no physical problems (I haven't dropped it recently) and it has never had any boot time problems. Also djnate27, which of your DSLites is acting up, the white one or the black one - I am having trouble with the black one, and when I emailed Nintendo, they wanted to know what colour it was - maybe they knew there was some sort of manufacturing fault, or maybe it was for sorting reasons. Also, from what periods are all your DSLites from - mine is 23 June 2006 (The EU launch), so if yours are around the same time, maybe there's a pattern.

Either way, I can tell you for definite my experience, what the exact problem is and how much they charge (whether its free or not) when I sent it in and get a response.
I hope we can find out what exactly is going wrong.
Also, when my Wii stopped loading discs about a year ago, and when I sent it in, they fixed it free of charge!

Over.
Hadou

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT!
11th December 2009

Okay guys, you have been wondering how nintendo deal with the problem:
I logged into the Repair Tracking System thingy, and this is what I saw:

Fault Diagnosis:
Product Fault
1802466A: DS Lite - Black DS Lite Minor (£0.00) : No Power

Products Being Returned To Customer:
1 x DS Lite - Black

In other words, today, Nintendo of Europe, Codestorm repair centre, recieved my DS Lite, checked my DS Lite, found the fault with my DS Lite, fixed the fault with my DS Lite, charged me NOTHING for the DS Lite and are returning my DS Lite.

However, the fight is not over:
1. I need to actually recieve my DS Lite
2. I have to check if it is actually fixed.
3. Then we have to see if everyone else having this fault can get theirs fixed free of charge.

Will update you guys later.

Over.
Hadou

NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW!
EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT!
16th December 2009

I have recieved my DS!
They have charged me nothing (no hidden payments)
And they seem to have fixed it. I have only been playing with it for about 2 hours, but I have had no problems at all, especially on button mashing games (I can play Yoshi's Island now).
I noticed that they had taken the back portion of the DS off and replaced it (with the original of course - there are still the tiny scratches) so I can only assume they did some kerjiggering in there and put it back.
They removed all my profile ie. I had to reinput my name and fav. colour, but I didn't go through the "first time with your ds?" setup.
They also cleaned it (it was shiny(er) than it used to be, but it was still mine (it has my name on the back)
They also rearranged the box I put it in, placing my DS in a sealed bag.
They left nothing except a customer survey card.
I will continue playing and see if the problem comes back, either way, if anyone needs some help or answering questions, I can help.

Over,
Hadou

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: