DS should get more Point & click adventure games

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Gandev, Sep 2, 2009.

Sep 2, 2009
  1. Gandev
    OP

Newcomer Gandev Advanced Member

Bulgaria
    It's a shame that as a handheld console that has touch screen perfectly suitable for point and click games, there are just a few games released.I really hope that Nintendo will do something, cause DS is the perfect platform for such games.The most frustrating thing for me is that Wii is getting all games produced by Telltale games(the people who make Monkey Island,Sam&MAX,Strong bad), but DS no.I think that it should be just the opposite.

2. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Well I can tell you that ScummVM DS is one of your best friends with old point and click games. It can play some of the old Monkey Island games pretty flawlessly, as well as any that use that engine.

There was Broken Sword a while back. You might try that out. Heard it was darn good for a port.

3. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    haha poing and click sounds funny. it is surprising that there arent more of those for the ds.

4. Gandev
    OP

Bulgaria
    Umm yeah and I can't change the title, but anyway poing and click is fine [​IMG]

?nd about ScummDS - yes I know but this is emulator playing the old games from Sierra and Lucas arts.I'm talking about something new.I have seen that Syberia is on DS , haven't tried it because I have played the PC version, but this is exactly the type of games DS needs...

5. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Technically it's not an emulator.

Someone always points this out when ScummVM is referred to as an emulator. It's tradition or an old charter or something.

6. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    There are shitloads of point and click DS games, there seems to be one a week and 95% of them are awful. Just low grade ports of PC games no one ever asked for.

I wonder what happened to the Runaway sequel that was supposed to come out? The Turtle one was decent.

7. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I'm with Hadrian here. And you cited Syberia. Don't play it. They just managed to butcher it. Myst too.

8. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Judging from the general quality (or the lack of it) of the console ports, I don't think we need Telltale to ruin those games on the DS too.

9. Gandev
    OP

Bulgaria
    You want to say that the games are bad or the console ports are bad.Because I have played some of the games on PC, and I really enjoyed them.

10. eine

Newcomer eine Advanced Member

Philippines
    Considering that the majority of DS gamers are kids, its very understandable why they don't make much of these games.

User friendly GUI, especially kid-friendly GUI, profits more. I guess this is how developers understand and how they want it to be.

11. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'm just glad that there are at least some good ones.

12. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    The games are great but the console ports feel rushed. There are a lot of framerate issues and other quirks. To make it even worse, it seems like Telltale doesn't even care, because, for instance, the framerate issues are in all ports I've played.

13. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    There are too many.

That genre totally sucks.

This is fact. This isn't open for debate.