Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

KingMasta1991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys, do you have any recommendations on flashcards for the DS (fat) from AliExpress?
I saw a couple of R4iSDHC and DSONE but I'm not sure what is the best choice.
Thanks!😊

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hey guys, do you have any recommendations on flashcards for the DS (fat) from AliExpress?
I saw a couple of R4iSDHC and DSONE but I'm not sure what is the best choice.
Thanks!😊
I've recently purchased a flashcart from AliExpress for my DS Lite and so far so good, no issues whatsoever. I believe that it works on original as well? I've attached the image so that you can see how it looks.
You'll need a microSD card as well, of course. As for the files, check this guide on how to install TWiLight Menu++.

Attachments

• image.PNG
    image.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: KingMasta1991

KingMasta1991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've recently purchased a flashcart from AliExpress for my DS Lite and so far so good, no issues whatsoever. I believe that it works on original as well? I've attached the image so that you can see how it looks.
You'll need a microSD card as well, of course. As for the files, check this guide on how to install TWiLight Menu++.
That's a DSONE Flashcard isn't it?
Do you also have a picture of the front of the card?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
That's a DSONE Flashcard isn't it?
Do you also have a picture of the front of the card?
Honestly, no clue. ^^ @SylverReZ mentioned that it's probably Ace3DS/R4iLS clone. Front of the card has no sticker. I can't send you a picture of my flashcart, but here's the link to the item I purchased on AliExpress, it's pretty much the same one (I bought the "onesize" one).

dusty0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a limit to how many dsiware titles can be installed on hiyacfw?

how does hiyacfw perform on a 8 or 16 gb sd card?

and, how exactly does one install dsiware onto hiyacfw? i've heard of it needing .tmd or .sav files, but I'm really not sure what that means.

irsY

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there any way to retrieve the date in which a .sav file was created (i.e. the first time you played the game), perhaps from the file itself?

Unfortunately I use Windows and instead of moving the file I copied it and then deleted the original, so the creation date was erased.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a limit to how many dsiware titles can be installed on hiyacfw?
The limit is as much as the DSi Menu allows.
how does hiyacfw perform on a 8 or 16 gb sd card?
hiya starts up a few seconds slower on larger SD cards. The larger it is, the slower it gets.
and, how exactly does one install dsiware onto hiyacfw? i've heard of it needing .tmd or .sav files, but I'm really not sure what that means.
You can use NTM to install DSiWare. NTM can create a .tmd file when you install one.
Is there any way to retrieve the date in which a .sav file was created (i.e. the first time you played the game), perhaps from the file itself?

Unfortunately I use Windows and instead of moving the file I copied it and then deleted the original, so the creation date was erased.
That is not possible. If you remember the original date and time, you can use an application which changes the creation date.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does playing DS games on an SD card on DSi via ndsbootstrap sometimes affect performance, or in what ways does the experience differ from playing the game natively? I've been playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team, and I noticed that there are brief freezes every time I do a particular move (Razor Leaf). Upping the MHz and VRAM and running in DSi mode didn't seem to affect it. Could it be caused by the speed of my SD card? It's a MicroSD in an adapter. Should I get a regular SD card instead, or is the bandwidth of the DSi's SD card reader much more likely to be a bottleneck than any SD card? I did notice that the game saves a lot faster than it did on the Wii U VC and how I remember it when I was a kid.

Also, are GBA games that are played using GBARunner2 essentially running natively, since I assume the DSi has to still have GBA hardware in it to be compatible with DS games? Or is it somewhere between native and emulation?

Edit: Would the DS ROM performance issues go away if I used a flash cart instead?

Last edited by GuyWithAWiiUQuestion,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does playing DS games on an SD card on DSi via ndsbootstrap sometimes affect performance, or in what ways does the experience differ from playing the game natively? I've been playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team, and I noticed that there are brief freezes every time I do a particular move (Razor Leaf). Upping the MHz and VRAM and running in DSi mode didn't seem to affect it. Could it be caused by the speed of my SD card? It's a MicroSD in an adapter. Should I get a regular SD card instead, or is the bandwidth of the DSi's SD card reader much more likely to be a bottleneck than any SD card? I did notice that the game saves a lot faster than it did on the Wii U VC and how I remember it when I was a kid.
The brief freezes are due to how nds-bootstrap reads the ROM from the console's SD slot. The ROM gets read in 16KB blocks, which can cause issues if the data that tries to be loaded is smaller than that and/or if the data location vary from each other.
Edit: Would the DS ROM performance issues go away if I used a flash cart instead?
Maybe.
Also, are GBA games that are played using GBARunner2 essentially running natively, since I assume the DSi has to still have GBA hardware in it to be compatible with DS games? Or is it somewhere between native and emulation?
It's a combination of native and emulation. Most of the graphics are native, while some code and all of sound are emulated.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The brief freezes are due to how nds-bootstrap reads the ROM from the console's SD slot. The ROM gets read in 16KB blocks, which can cause issues if the data that tries to be loaded is smaller than that and/or if the data location vary from each other.

Maybe.

It's a combination of native and emulation. Most of the graphics are native, while some code and all of sound are emulated.
Interesting, thanks for the reply. I might try out a flash card if I can find one that isn't preloaded with ROMs.

Edit: So, I tested it out again, and noticed that the Wi-Fi light didn't flash during the brief freezes when I do that specific attack. I have the Wi-Fi light set to flash whenever the ROM is read from.
Post automatically merged:

With flash carts, is it better to use a smaller microSD cart than 32 GB, or does it not matter?

Edit: Just got my flash cart, and it works great! There actually is still a brief freeze on using that attack even with the flash cart, but it's not as noticeable, so it seems it might have just been exaggerated by running from the SD card via nds-bootstrap. Or maybe it's the same and it seeming less noticeable is only placebo 🤷‍♂️ . However, Metroid Prime Hunters had some audio issues on nds-bootstrap that it doesn't have when using the flash cart. And GBARunner2 works with the flash cart, so I'm all set.

Last edited by GuyWithAWiiUQuestion,

dusty0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have gotten twilightmenu, hiyacfw, and unlaunch installed successfully.

The only issue I'm having is largely just a cosmetic nitpick. Since the SDNand runs off the root of the SD card, is there a way to make TwilightMenu show only the roms folder + nds homebrew without all of the sdnand folders?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have gotten twilightmenu, hiyacfw, and unlaunch installed successfully.

The only issue I'm having is largely just a cosmetic nitpick. Since the SDNand runs off the root of the SD card, is there a way to make TwilightMenu show only the roms folder + nds homebrew without all of the sdnand folders?
You can hide the folders using either TWiLight Menu++ or your PC.

Reactions: dusty0

vertpin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you change the emulation settings on GBARunner2, is it on a per-game basis, or all games? Superstar Saga crashes upon battle, and it is recommended that some settings are changed to fix it.

Frozone82

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I installed the latest TWM++ 1.2.2 and tried to run GBC games on DSi. But when they open I just get a white GBC screen and it crashes. Anything I can do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.