DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Billy Acuña, Jan 31, 2016.

1. carls

carls Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2016
    Indonesia
    already tested ComicBookDS and Nitrohax, both running smoothly

but I can run miniVMac DS, always stuck loading file from vmac folder (placed on nds folder neither root SDMC not working)

EDIT:
    also LoneWolf DS, stuck after character creation screen, setting equipment, music running but screen stuck

Last edited by carls, Nov 19, 2016
    Bedel likes this.
  2. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Much has been said about about the complexities of patching DS software to load from the SD card rather than slot-1. But, a similar situation has occurred in the past. Slot-2 GBA cards such as the EZ Flash IV were capable of playing DS games.

I know from my experience with the EZ Flash IV that DS roms needed to be patched using the EZ Flash client software before they would run. So, I guess that this patching is what enables them to load assets from GBA ROM regions and save data to GBA SRAM regions rather than using the standard slot 1 cartridge interface.

I'm just speculating if this is relevant to patching SD support into retail DS roms. Has this technology been investigated, and if so did it yield any useful information? Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge such as @ahezard would be able to provide insight here.

One thing in particular that stood out to me was the fact that the GBA ROM and RAM regions were only mapped to a single CPU at a time (GBATEK) - which reminded me of the fact that only ARM7 can use the SD card interface.

zeldaism, Feryth, pelago and 2 others like this.
  3. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Interesting read, didn't EZ Flash IV need something like a passthrough cart or FlashMe to make it do the DS stuff?

4. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    That's right. But a passme doesn't do very much exciting work, its only job is to boot the slot-2 flashcard without going into the GBA backwards compatibility mode.
    Once it hands over control to the flashcard, you can remove it or hide it away somewhere. The passme doesn't assist in loading ROMs or anything.

pelago and fodder like this.
  5. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Shota and Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Any updates on this?

6. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    This are rally good news! Gotta test ComicBookDS, I really used to love it.

7. TDTHD

TDTHD Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2010
    The bad thing that few people will use it in the 3ds, being the mode ds. Although it comes very well, in case it spoils the slot-1 and thus is the only way to play the games of ds.

8. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Well @_catcatcat did do quite a bit of reverse engineering on Max Overload which did exactly that with a homebrew only GBA slot device. Hopefully @ahezard is already aware of that work as while some versions required PC side patching, the last one did it all on the DS and "used libnds with its own filesystem driver".

Last edited by nl255, Dec 2, 2016
  9. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    Do you have links to the results of the reverse engineering effort?

10. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes but I don't think I can give them here since it most likely contains at least a partial disassembly which would still be copyrighted by whoever wrote Max Overload. I will say this though, catcatcat does have github.

metroid maniac and fodder like this.
  11. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    While it might not be useful to me with my limited programming expertise, I'm sure that this github has useful contents.

I'm starting to want to learn a language that's good for Homebrew like C now.

Last edited by metroid maniac, Dec 2, 2016
  12. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    You would need to know ARM assembly for it to be of any use to you. However hopefully it will be of use to @ahezard .

13. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    I know a little of ARM actually but like I said I'm a novice.

14. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Prolly a stupid thing to add but for the compatibility chart the DSTT firmware (I think, TTDS.nds, 128kb as opposed to typical 300+ YSMenu SD Card file) dumped with Decrypt9, gets up to the white screen with the SD card with the face and doesn't go any farther

15. TinchoX

TinchoX Azure Flame Kite

Apr 18, 2015
    Argentina
    Hmm this is looking promising, keep at it guys!

16. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule GBAtemp Fan

Jun 28, 2008
    United States
    Hyrule
    Yeah commits have been piling up on the card tree for the past couple weeks. "Pass the address to the card_struct" sounds like there could be major progress soon. I guess we'll see.

17. shutterbug2000

shutterbug2000 Cubic NINJHAX!

Oct 11, 2014
    United States
    Coming to a 3DS system near you...

Do I hear jingles in the distance? Bells maybe? Better go check...

18. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    I'm confused as to what this is, but nevertheless, it looks very promising.

19. Slattz

Slattz Easygoing Fairy

Nov 21, 2015
    Ireland
    Iirc, twilight princess ds was an E3 Demo, more importantly it was a cart, and the NDS file seems to be running from SD in this video! :)

20. hacksn5s4

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    he did not show iff theirs no game in the slot so i idk if its a ds romloader yet

WeedZ likes this.