Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I do have a version of wood somewhere that just does that. It is not able to launch anything (neither from the 3ds sd or from the flashcard) but it can browse both and the copy works fine. Let's me found it, I will push it to github. But I warn you : do whatever you want with it I will not maintain it. Wood is a mess even only to compiles it.

You're a saint!
Will there be a compiled version, or must I learn how to set up a build environment?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I do have a version of wood somewhere that just does that. It is not able to launch anything (neither from the 3ds sd or from the flashcard) but it can browse both and the copy works fine. Let's me found it, I will push it to github. But I warn you : do whatever you want with it I will not maintain it. Wood is a mess even only to compiles it.
I'd like this too if you can find it
EDIT: Nvm, reloaded the page. Also, will this work with the r4 dual core 2016?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the akmenu4_r4_dsi.cia gives me an error when installing

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like this too if you can find it
EDIT: Nvm, reloaded the page. Also, will this work with the r4 dual core 2016?
For it to work with your card, the old devlauncher patch is needed, and the .nds file should be loaded in the flashcard's menu.

ahezard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This runs in plain TWL mode actually and is probably not compatible with the enhanced NTR mode you get with NTR Launcher. Just installs the cia. Only the original r4 is supported. It should be possible to support more slot1 cards via dldi but that would requires more coding and not all card can be initialized in TWL mode.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
For it to work with your card, the old devlauncher patch is needed, and the .nds file should be loaded in the flashcard's menu.

So that's why it gave me the error message when I tried to run the installed .cia.

This runs in plain TWL mode actually and is probably not compatible with the enhanced NTR mode you get with NTR Launcher. Just installs the cia. Only the original r4 is supported. It should be possible to support more slot1 cards via dldi but that would requires more coding and not all card can be initialized in TWL mode.

And that would explain why my AK2i got stuck at the loading screen when I tried to run it with via NTR Launcher!

OK, so should I just install the old patched TWL_FIRM? Or is it simpler to patch the software itself so it will run on a standard TWL_FIRM?

ahezard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So that's why it gave me the error message when I tried to run the installed .cia.

And that would explain why my AK2i got stuck at the loading screen when I tried to run it with via NTR Launcher!

OK, so should I just install the old patched TWL_FIRM? Or is it simpler to patch the software itself so it will run on a standard TWL_FIRM?
The correct way to run it should be via the cia. No patches or anything else is needed. It seems broken so let me try to fix it.

By looking at the code it seems that I was using dldi to access the slot1 card (fat:/ path) so other cards may be supported by patching the nds file with the dldi driver and rebuilding the cia via the build_cia.sh script.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
The correct way to run it should be via the cia. No patches or anything else is needed. It seems broken so let me try to fix it.

By looking at the code it seems that I was using dldi to access the slot1 card (fat:/ path) so other cards may be supported by patching the nds file with the dldi driver and rebuilding the cia via the build_cia.sh script.

I was actually extracting the .app file from the install directory in TWLNAND, patching it on my PC, and then inserting it again... It worked for all of the other tools you have made that can access the slot 1 so far so I guessed it would work this time :ha:

I'll see if I can get access to a Linux environment so I can run that script, just in case I have better success that way.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: ahezard

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, the "twl_bg.cxi" file that we used to use, before we found out we could use TWL mode.

EDIT: Wait, you can use NTR Launcher with SD access enabled. Never mind.
sorry im getting back to this late, but doesnt luma 6.1 have on the fly patching making twl_bg.cxi useless? And what would ntrlauncher add? Im installing a cia

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry im getting back to this late, but doesnt luma 6.1 have on the fly patching making twl_bg.cxi useless? And what would ntrlauncher add? Im installing a cia
Luma only patches TWL_FIRM to run unsigned SRL CIAs.
NTR Launcher? Well, there's an option to run your game/flashcard with SD access preserved, due to the launcher starting in TWL mode.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma only patches TWL_FIRM to run unsigned SRL CIAs.
NTR Launcher? Well, there's an option to run your game/flashcard with SD access preserved, due to the launcher starting in TWL mode.
So even with the cxi in the luma folder, the cias still fail to install

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
If you run it on a flashcard, it will boot the gba bios, but not the rom, is still in a early stage atm.
Wait, I'm really curious about this.

What could be theoretically possible with this? GBA ROM loading natively at some point on 3DS and DSi? (I'm assuming DS mode in 3DS is literally a DSi... Kinda)

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I'm really curious about this.

What could be theoretically possible with this? GBA ROM loading natively at some point on 3DS and DSi? (I'm assuming DS mode in 3DS is literally a DSi... Kinda)
Possibly, if bootstrap supports it...

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Possibly, if bootstrap supports it...
What's bootstrap, again? :'D

Theoretical scenario here: should GBA ROM loading be achieved with it, would it also work similarly to the SD card redirection method used for DS ROM loading from SD? (Since there is no GBA slot on neither DSi nor 3DS, so I assume something would have to be redirected somewhere) there be major differences between it and AGB CIA generation on 3DS? Would they work just like they would on a DS/DSLite?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm legit curious :c

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn I have 8 modded rgh3 x360 slims I've done, I need to get rid of, I figured my family members or friends would want but times have changed. Think I'm gonna stop buying them and modding. Time to Switch it up (pun intended)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yay power outages
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I'm your friend
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There literally no storms in your area, does it go out alot? You need to just send me your slim n ill rgh3 it free.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or grow sum balls and do it yourself, not hard. More of a pain to jailbreak a ps4 than it is the 360, other than little soldering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Problem is my dick gets in the way
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea true, would be a pain having that on your forehead
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The chicks love it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every damn time there's a loud noise dudes car alarm goes off freaking annoying
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Stun gun the metal of the car (door, bumper, etc), you won't hear it again, promise.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    damn accidentally ripped my car cover just now
    happens
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or plant drugs get him evicted
    the one on my other car is all ripped up
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not your $400 car cover :ohnoes:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There you go, thinking with your "dickhead"
    some day the wind will blow so hard it'll rip in half
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think in big inches
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @realtimesave Can you sew it back together? Or is it not worth trying.
    nah sewing it will make it come apart more :)
    that one is pretty old
    the one on my mercedes is a couple years old. these things don't last very long at all
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you near sea/salt water, or in general they just don't last. Sounds like if you driving a mercedes, you need a garage. I get snow n ice here so nothing worse than clearing that shit off at 6am rushing to get to work.
    I'm a few miles away from the salt water
    +1
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I'm a few miles away from the salt water +1