Homebrew Ds Homebrew Project *Terraria LIKE Game* 2D

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
link491 said:
i know that ds games can be up to 256 mb but im pretty sure that homebrews cant
Why not?

Oh now i know. Homebrew games can't load stuff later on. It's like, you have to load the entire game into the ram and run it from there. It all makes sense now. I guess thats why Moonshell can play back videos way over the 4 megs of RAM. So this is how Moonshell works:

1. Load in as much video as possible in the RAM.
2. Play it back.
3. When there is no more video left, reset the DS and go to 1. (Because you can't alter the ram whilst running, you can only load stuff!!!)
Do all of the above so fast that humans won't notice, and there you go, fluid video. Oh this is also the only reason the DS can't emulate PS3, because the game ROM's won't fit into the 4 megs. Else PS3 emulation would be smooth. No prob...

Wow wow wow WOW! Wait a min. How does healthpoints etc. change midgame? Wtf?!?! You can't manipulate the RAM? How does HP change?!?! Impossible!

divide3.jpg

Seriously guys, stop spreading false information. It seems that a trend has started where whenever someone suggests a homebrew everybody just goes "Not possible, not powerful enough, CPU talk bla bla filesize omg wtf". Yes previous people did suggest a LOT of unlikely homebrew ideas, like YouTube, N64 emulation and what not. YouTube seems like a simple thing right? But unless you know the inner workings of stuff, you can't really say wether something would be possible or not. Please, if you are not sure, do not post untill you've researched thoroughly. Heck, you might even cite your sources
ohmy.gif

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
DarkMelon said:
Excuse me when I say that smealum is working on a Minecraft port.
smile.gif

http://gbatemp.net/t291903-minecraft-ds-ho...t&p=3753357

Puts this Terraria idea to shame.
tongue.gif
Seems to be very popular on computer even though Minecraft exists? Rofl, bet it's because most people don't have hardcore gamer rigs that can actually handle sloppy Java Minecraft
rofl2.gif
Last resort: 2D Minecraft. Luckily for us, there is no such thing as Java on the DS, there are PaLIB and all the lame GameMakers stuff though, but mostly in homebrew on DS it's C++ which goes a looooong way if used by the right people. So, yea, it puts those who babbled that this was "Not possible, filesize 108 megs omg wtf", to shame. Kudos to smealum if he actually finishes that
smile.gif
That would be awesome!

Csteal1556

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea I Know Smealum Is Working On A Port For Minecraft But Im Not Talking About Minecraft Or Terraria Althogh I Have Both But This Is A Idea And Not Terraria

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is not an idea, this is Terraria. Try to deny it more and dig yourself an even bigger hole. Bitch thread sucks balls enough as it is.

@WioWao
Homebrew can of couse go up to and greater than 256Mb, the problem is that would require such complicated coding, no one's going to do it.

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
Evo.lve said:
@WioWao
Homebrew can of couse go up to and greater than 256Mb, the problem is that would require such complicated coding, no one's going to do it.
So once a homebrew project goes higher than 256 it gets really complicated somehow
mellow.gif
Wonder why that is.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm. What's a 256Mb game?

Ooh, B/W.

Go play one of those, step on every single tile, battle every trainer, beat the game, get every Pokemon, etc. That should take you the majority fo 2 days. Then at the end think about how long that would take to program.

Yeah. Not complicated at all.

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
Evo.lve said:
Hmm. What's a 256Mb game?

Ooh, B/W.

Go play one of those, step on every single tile, battle every trainer, beat the game, get every Pokemon, etc. That should take you the majority fo 2 days. Then at the end think about how long that would take to program.

Yeah. Not complicated at all.
Sure programs like that takes time to program but that is not what makes the file big
wink.gif
Also i do not hope you think there are lines of programming for every single tile in the game, if so, you have no idea how it works. Also you seem to forget that what would make this Terraria homebrew big in filesize is the fact that the world cannot end, it simply expands when you travel far enough. And what/who generates that extra content? The game does. In pokemon someone made the content using editors handed to them, of course that content took a long time to create. This game would probably go nowhere near 100 mb, the savefile might though
smile.gif

Csteal1556

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good Gawd You Must Not Have Read Or Understood The First Post Were It Said I Know The Worlds Would Be To Big Unless We Make Them Only Genarate A Certain High And Width And Depth.

Arfiol

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
dbproject.hostoi.com
XP
Country
Look, there's an extremely simple reason why this game can never be:

Every time someone tries to rally people for something that is still an "idea", nobody will join the project. You can't start off with such detailed design and in-depth description; you have to start out small. You may have gotten someone for the project if you simply stated: "I would like to discuss making a game for the DS.". If you just throw a big idea like this at programmers, they will just ignore you, and if you would actually get someone to start programming, against all odds, he would get bored quickly.

kieran-123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nds-patcher.webs.com
XP
Country
Minecraft is already being made on the ds and looks good so I don't see why terraria can't be done, minecraft is in 3D and this would be in 2D so it should be easier for the ds to handle anyway so I think it would be good if someone would try this, it only has to be a simple version anyway like DScraft is a simple version on minecraft.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The absolute only console Terraria will work gone for is DS because of the use of the mouse can me mirrored on the DS via stylus.

Yeah too bad it lacks about 10 hotkey buttons to make the game playable competently.
>Tap item you want
Argument:invalid

Have fun with a clunky shitfest functionally-impaired game in that case.
There are many games never meant to work on a handheld. Terraria is definitely one of them.
Of course you'd have to have played the game to know that, so you clearly haven't. Many items wouldn't work. Like the grapple hook. How do I aim and tap to use at the same time? how about magic?

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The absolute only console Terraria will work gone for is DS because of the use of the mouse can me mirrored on the DS via stylus.

Yeah too bad it lacks about 10 hotkey buttons to make the game playable competently.
>Tap item you want
Argument:invalid

Have fun with a clunky shitfest functionally-impaired game in that case.
There are many games never meant to work on a handheld. Terraria is definitely one of them.
Of course you'd have to have played the game to know that, so you clearly haven't. Many items wouldn't work. Like the grapple hook. How do I aim and tap to use at the same time? how about magic?
Thanks for the assumption, but I have played it.
Grappling hook: Just tap somewhere on the screen and you'll launch it in that direction.
Most of the magic would work the same way, excluding magic missile which would need you to hold the stylus on the screen.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Grappling hook: Just tap somewhere on the screen and you'll launch it in that direction.
Most of the magic would work the same way, excluding magic missile which would need you to hold the stylus on the screen.

I realize you can highlight things in the hotkey bar to use, and I suppose magic would work on the fly, but the grapple would be a pain in the ass.
The very best and optimal solution would be to make the triggers automatically highlight the grapple hook but that still maims functionality as you'd have to switch back to your previous hotkey immediately after. Tapping hotkeys also poses a problem in terms of quickly needing to swap weapons while still maintaining your "mouse" movements on a target. Basically there's too much for you to do with the stylus to properly manage it when things get anything more than semi-hectic.

If you want to play the "it could work" card then i'll give you that, but it'd work on such a basic level that anything outside of beginner play would be absurdly frustrating and hard to do.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I realize you can highlight things in the hotkey bar to use, and I suppose magic would work on the fly, but the grapple would be a pain in the ass.
The very best and optimal solution would be to make the triggers automatically highlight the grapple hook but that still maims functionality as you'd have to switch back to your previous hotkey immediately after. Tapping hotkeys also poses a problem in terms of quickly needing to swap weapons while still maintaining your "mouse" movements on a target. Basically there's too much for you to do with the stylus to properly manage it when things get anything more than semi-hectic.

If you want to play the "it could work" card then i'll give you that, but it'd work on such a basic level that anything outside of beginner play would be absurdly frustrating and hard to do.
In case you didn't know, the grappling hook actually used to be an item you had to switch to.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

In case you didn't know, the grappling hook actually used to be an item you had to switch to.

Indeed, and the functionality of it being like that made people bitch about it SO much they made it a separate hotkey to shut people up about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: