Gaming DS hinge is cracked--how to fix?

DSBunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grr. I think my dog sat on it. Anyway, you know where the on off light is, right next to that is a thin strip attached to the hinge. it's cracked there. the tiniest piece is missing(or possibly, it's just not connecting) I tried taping it together, and that helped a little, it can sit in the right position instead of flopping, but it won't close all the way now. any ideas? I can't get a new case because 1. I can't afford it, 2. I break anything electronic i've tried to take apart to fix. Is there some sort of glue or something? Ingenious ideas please!

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*snip
It's a simple repair (done it myself).

But I can tell you this as an expert on plastics and glues *snip, you won't be happy with any 'glue it' based solutions.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
contact nintendo and tell them your problem....I had the same thing happen on one of my ds lite systems. I sent nintendo an email and they called me and sent me a UPS tag, I boxed it up sent it back and had a fully repaired ds in 2 days(talk about fast service)! Check out my other thread detailing what I wrote and where I emailed it here: http://gbatemp.net/t263447-nintendo-ds-lit...nk-you-nintendo

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
nintedo wont fix it they are assholes i am on my5th ds now i lost 2 that way the never fix them up

What the hell are you doing to your systems? I've had the same ds lite for 2 years or more and all I have is a few minor marks on the touch screen...

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
InuYasha said:
Stevetry said:
nintedo wont fix it they are assholes i am on my5th ds now i lost 2 that way the never fix them up

What the hell are you doing to your systems? I've had the same ds lite for 2 years or more and all I have is a few minor marks on the touch screen...
It's a defect in most of the systems. You got lucky.
Of course, if you have 5 DS lites with the same problem then Nintendo will probably fix it for you if you write them a strongly-worded letter. I'm currently waiting for my third one to crack (I can already feel it loosening).

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
InuYasha said:
Stevetry said:

well the first one go the screen smash the 2nd one hinge broke 3th was brick by a acekard them it was fix months later hinge broke and the 4th was use and broke in a week and i know have my 5th one

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
InuYasha said:
Stevetry said:

Of course, if you have 5 DS lites with the same problem then Nintendo will probably fix it for you if you write them a strongly-worded letter. I'm currently waiting for my third one to crack (I can already feel it loosening).

when i register my last one online i wrote them a letter saying this is my last ds lite and some other stuff

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:

Yeah it's been well documented that it is indeed a defect in the ds lites due to the design of the casing. Plastic pivoting over a metal barrel is never a good design! Yet Nintendo still seems to think that this happens to less than 1% of the ds lites out there...I think this is just a flat out lie or the fact that when it does happen people just toss it or fix it themselves or the fact that it happens while out of warranty that Nintendo doesn't count it as such.

Either way it does happen, though not to everyone and I think if you take very good care of your system and rarely use it, it isn't likely to happen but come on!!!! It's a handheld system supposedly made for on the go gaming...it's gonna get dinged around and shaken up a bit, it should be design to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

Though the only problem I've had is with my step-daughters ds, these things are primarily targeted towards kids and Nintendo knowing that should have made these things alot more durable than they are! My own DS Lite is always kept in it's case with a lint free guitar cloth wrapped around it and I don't play it all that often, it's pretty much brand new, even after almost 2 years and should it start to develop a problem you can bet your a$$ I'm sending another letter to Nintendo and getting my system fixed free of charge....and I don't give a damn if it's out of warranty, the thing is practically new!

b3nj4m1n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
Can't afford a new case?

Must suck to be you. I can't go out to lunch for the cost of a new DS case.

As for fixing it, hmmm you telling me you have not one single friend less clumsy?
It's a simple repair (done it myself).

But I can tell you this as an expert on plastics and glues (yes kiddo, I am an expert, I've done this sort of thing professionally aka I was paid to do it for work), you won't be happy with any 'glue it' based solutions.

i super-glued mine when it broke, worked perfectly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s