Homebrew ds games not running? supercard ds2+saving on gba/snes emus

damien907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey everyone, this is my first post, there's lots of great info on this forum, and im super stoked about my new supercard dstwo that came in the mail a few days ago. i have a couple questions about some emulators though.

1. so far ive been able to install some emulators, tempgba, catsfs, and the two gba, and snes ones that were built for the supercard, as well as lameboy.

although, the lameboy is the only one that saves how i want it to, which is in game. for example, after i reach a save point in the game, i just click the "x" button and the .sav file is written, so the next time i open up that game, i can just go to my save file from within the game itself, instead of using "save states."

im really want to be able to do this with the snes and gba emulators, but i havent been able to, does anyone know if you can save "in-game" with the gba and snes emulators?

2. from my understanding, you dont need an additional emulator to play ds games, you can just load them onto the card in a folder called "ds games" and then select them from there right?
my ds games dont seem to be working at all though, when i select the ds games folder from the home screen, it does the loading thing, then the menu to select which games usually pops up. it shows a little graphic next to each game, and it looks good, although when i click on any game, the ds two just goes back to that load screen again, and it wont do anything else. so i end up having to turn off my ds and not being able to play any of these games at all.
furthermore, today when i tried it, the first "loading" screen wouldnt even fully load up, so i couldnt even see the list of the games anymore, it would just load forever and have a blank screen on the top.

i was thinking that maybe it could be because of my micro sd card isnt fast enough, but i ordered it from real hot stuff.com and the card was included with the supercard when i ordered it, so i would think that they would give their customers fast enough cards wouldnt they?

the only other thing i could really think of is maybe i needed to install a plugin or something that i didnt install yet?

thanks for all your help in advance, i really want to get this stuff to work!

also, i downloaded this music creation software for the ds called nitrotracker, if any of you guys are into music, you should check it out, its free and a lot of fun!

****edit i was playing with the tempgba, and i saved in game and it worked like a charm, even after i turned off my ds and turned it back on again! awesome! this is def my favorite gba emulator now!

damien907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey rydian, thanks for your reply, do you think its a micro sd issue for sure? its a sandisk 2gb microsd, but it doesnt say a speed on it like some of them do. is there any brand you would recommend?

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey rydian, thanks for your reply, do you think its a micro sd issue for sure? its a sandisk 2gb microsd, but it doesnt say a speed on it like some of them do. is there any brand you would recommend?

I would recommend anything from PNY, Lexar, or Sandisk. Just remember that if there is not an even-number in a circle, the microSD card is most likely fake. Also, DS roms can be placed anywhere on the microSD card except the "_dstwo" folder (won't appear to protect system files). Lastly, if there are specific games that will not load, I personally recommend you: (A) Go to Supercard's forums to see if there is an update to their "dstwo patch" file and (B) delete the file "gamename.dtc", where gamename is obviously the name of the rom.

I've had a few issues in the past where I patched a rom, but kept the ".dtc" file from before the patch, which causes issues with cheatcodes for the old version not being compatible with the new version.

damien907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cool, i ended up getting a delkin micro sdhc that is a "10" speed. just formatting it now, thanks for the help guys! well see how this works after transfer all the stuff over from my other card.

ive also been wondering, what exactly is the slot1ds and slot2gba thing? i downloaded them from the supercard site, but i dont really know what they are for. is this for saving on my ds games?

also, have you guys ever extracted music from a ROM, i suppose thats more for the homebrew/hacking forum, but im gonna attempt to get one of the songs from killer instinct and a few from some other snes or gba games. i have a mac though, so hopefully one of the programs will be mac compatible.

last question, anyone find a way to save "in-game" through the snes emulators, or do you just use the save states? thats a real big one for me! i just cant mess with the save states, its weird to me to just pick up a game and go right to where you were last, it seems like it would be easy to lose your save. especially for rpg's i like to have at least two saves i can alternate through.

thanks!

damien907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, i didnt see your reply to the slot 2 thing, thanks for the info!

i will try the in game saves again too! thanks!

damien907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes the roms do work on my mac. well at least one of them does, im gonna try to delete all of them from my supercard, then install that one that played on my computer. the folder is called ds games if that matters at all?

also the files are unzipped if that matters? im gonna try to put one of each type on there and see if it works.

Edit****

i tried to load the .nds and the .zip file, but now when i click on my ds games folder, the bottom screen is just stuck at the loading page and the top screen flickers for about a half second (the screen where you select the games) then turns black.

damien907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i used the mac version of that program to format both of them although on the mac version there was only a tab that said "quick format" which didnt overwrite your stuff thats arleady on there, and "overwrite format" which takes time depending on the size of card and overwriting the data. i used overwrite format both times.

is there tabs for full format and size adjustment on in the windows version? i might be able to use a friends computer.

the second time i wrote the overwrite format (for the new card), i dragged all my stuff into a folder from the small card, and then plugged in my sdhc, then formatted it, then dragged the stuff, one of the files in the ds games folder was corrupted and it said something like it cant complete the transfer becuase the a file in ds games folder couldnt be read or written it couldnt be read or written. so i deleted that folder, deleted everything on the card, then put the stuff back on and made a new ds games folder on the new card.

i will try to get ahold of a pc today though, thanks! in the meantime, does any of that stuff that i wrote above give you any hints as to why it might be doing this?

damien907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, i will take a picture tommorwo after my gf gets offf work, i have to use her phone to take it lol. in the meantime i have emailed realhotstuff and asked if its a faulty card, just waiting for a reply back form them too.

damien907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, i ended up emailing real hot stuff and they said that they would replace it, i will get back with you guys when i get my new one and hopefully it will work!

thanks for all your replies so far guys!

damien907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i finally got my new supercard ds two, and the ds emulators dont work still. do you think it could be my ds? this really sucks, i would really like to keep the supercard, but i dont think i can if it doesnt play ds games.

damien907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey rydian, thanks man. yeah ive tried everything. it still doesnt work. unfortunetly im gonna end up sending my supercard back again and getting a refund. its either i got 2 faulty supercards, or my ds is messed up.

maybe ill get one again in the future when money isnt so tight. :glare:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!