• Total voters

OG LOCC NESS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Both, but I got a DS first, since it was cheaper. Both are really good, and the PSP, by far, has a much better homebrew base than the DS. I can run Genesis, GBA,NES, SMS, and SNES emulators on my PSP, and most run at full speed!

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
When I have a spare moment Tekken Dark Resurrection is owning all my game playing time
biggrin.gif

That's just one of the ups of the psp. As it's a more powerful system the production values can sometimes be higher on games. Tekken DR for example is extremely polished and packed with characters, music, cutscenes etc. If there was a Tekken DS i'd be more inclined to think that it would be inline with Tekken Advance (ie. not good).

The DS does infact have more original titles and fun ways to play games. The new ways Nintendo are trying to get us to play interests me more than the PSP I must admit. But the PSP has it's good parts too!

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DS for me here! While I can afford a PSP, there's not many games on it that I want to play because most of them are ports. Also, all the DS games are taking enough of my time already when I'm not working or studying
laugh.gif

So with that in mind, it would be a waste of money if I bought the PSP too.

Chrono1102

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted for both, but I bought just the PSP. I have always contemplated buying a DS, but it doesn't click to me. I could never get the hang of a system where i can only have one hand in order to hold the DS, and then expect not to drop it. I can't stand the Finger Strap Accessory, and yes I have used it, and even though the games can be fun and innovative, I really feel like I'm paying a hefty price for a mini game like Brain Age, or Pokemon Troze'.

As many faults as the DS has the PSP has some of it's own. A high price tag, and semi low battery life (When you play games as much as I do, which isn't long, you tend not to notice battery life.) Sometimes the game prices can be high, which makes you skeptical about what game you buy and so you tend to watch a lot of X-Play, starring two people who hate everything, but it rubs off on you and then you start hating those games without really giving them a chance, which is what Hollywood Video was invented for in the first place. That, and the machinery seems really fragile, so you tend to become a little frightened about carrying it around, but you get used to it after several months.

Both sides actually do have good games, if you take the time to actually PLAY them and don't listen to reviews. I have 8 PSP games so far in a list of more that I hope to get soon. I'm also sure the DS has games that are great too. Star Fox, New Mario, as well as others that I'm sure I'm forgetting. When you think about it both Nintendo and Sony were going at a rough start. Nintendo I think just got back on their feet faster than Sony, but Sony is coming along.

Just think about it real hard and decide for yourself. The handheld decision is a difficult one, and honestly you shouldn't really be asking others about what's right for YOU.

Meh...sorry for the probable grammar/spelling mistakes.

blueraja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both. I purchased the PSP first but grew frustrated with the game selection and bought a DS. For a long time nearly all my gaming time was on the DS but lately I am using the PSP more since there have been some decent games coming out lately.

At the moment im almost exclusively playing the PSP, my wife picked up Lego Star Wars 2 for me...its quite addictive. I will eventually get back to my DS games in progress (Mario&Luigi and Advance War DS)

I guess im just a non biased gamer, I prefer fun over fanboyisim, though usually I lean more towards nintendo on the console side.

zragnarok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have the DS but im starting to want the PSP. i feel like the ony good games on the DS are mario games and they are all the same. also i havent really seen any truly innovative touch screen games, most of them are really gimmicky like Lost in Blue. i want to play loco roco and powerstone on the psp

GbaDoctor

GbaTemp MaD fOrGeD DoCtOr
Trophies
Website
gbadoctor.spaces.live.com
XP
Country
Italy
i think that the best way to make up ur mind about on what u have to buy is to analyze the consoles itselfs.
I mean, psp and ds are in war about the handheld scene dominance, but stil those two are a completely different machines speakin of hardware,software and target.
I own 2 normal ds, one lite, 3 psps (one ceramic white) because im a collector, but i would got both even if i wasnt one. Why?
Cos i luv to play the psp games becuse there are many that are good, and are worth a try - plus the psp is an hardware monster and it makes all my emulators dream comes true. And i luv to play ds because games like the ds ones arent impossible to realize on psp, due to target, licensing, innovation, funs. I luv to use the console as an interactive thingy to beat a game (Trace memory as an example) or i love to do crazy things in the mic for blowing up a candle (Wario Ware, Rub Rabbits). Both consoles have their good aspects and u should love both for them.
Thats the spirit.
Cheers.

Kirby102

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's good to have both, that way no one will judge your fanboyism.

But really, my game time is more to the DS... seeing how my PSP (stock 1.5) unexpectedly decided to brick...
dry.gif
That totally shits me... especially when I wasn't doing anything to the flash BIOS of it...

But yeah, both of the handhelds I have are used for console emulation basically and other... activities. But my PSP is dead!
cry.gif
Trying to contact Sony for a solution.
frown.gif

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i think results here are not that correct.
since most people here are nintendo fans and moslty already have DS.
so, mostly they HAVE DS and maybe PSP.
thats my opinion!

Excelerate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Test84, that's the point.

But it's strange to see so many people vote for Both instead of exclusively the DS.

I take both since I own both, but I've spent way more time on my PSP as of right now (400+ hours on Monster Hunter Freedom, 50+ hours on MegaMan Powered Up, 100+ hours on Wipeout Pure, 25+ hours on Lego Star Wars: The Original Trilogy, plus the other games I own that are in the 20+ hour area) compared to my DS (50+ hours on MegaMan ZX, 60+ hours on FF3, 10+ hours on MKDS but I sold it out of pure boredom)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
QUOTE said:
My ratio of PSP:DS I've seen is 20:1 as of right now.

I've seen five people who have a PSP, and I've only seen one person who owns a DS.

I know of at least one more person who owns a DS, but he's a raging moronic asshole, so I don't want to see him.

Anyway, the DS crowd likes to keep their playthings to themselves, while the PSP crowd likes to rub their PSP into other people's noses. That's why you see much more PSP's than DS's.

slayerspud

Trophies
XP
Country
If you can afford it get:

A Ds lite with flash cart and memory.
A Psp with a large memory stick and dev hook.

You will be sorted for along time with that.

2dere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I can't afford a PSP, got a DSlite two years ago. If I could afford a PSP, I'd get it purely for console emulation purposes.Â
biggrin.gif

He pretty much said what I was so less typing this way...

EDIT: Crap I was searching for something when I stumbled upon this thread. I read so much of it I decided to post without realizing how old the thread was. And here I was quoting someone thinking I wouldn't type as much...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: how many girlfriends is too many