ROM Hack DS Auto Trainer Maker (DSATM)

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First get the new version that includes bugfixes for things I just came across (2.0.1).

Uncheck the trainer checkbox and check the slowmo checkbox (obviously). These settings worked for the U v1.1 game: arm to hook - 7, arm to embed - 7, trainer address 0x234c000. Keep in mind that I just tested it through the first part of the game so it's possible this area might get overwritten eventually. Also I recommend using different key combos since using L or R seems to promote audio crackles. Select+Up/Down is probably a good alternative.

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vishi said:
hey ,

i m new to this trainer thing can someone tell me what a trainer is and whts it used for

thanks

jelbo answered that before:

QUOTE(jelbo @ Apr 29 2008, 11:53 AM) A trainer in the purest sense of the word is imo a patch that is applied to a ROM dump and features an added startup screen where predefined cheats can be switched on or off before starting the game itself. Ingame key combinations to enable/disable cheats are also common.

Trainers are usually made by scene release/trainer groups. There used to be quite a few trainers in the GBA days. Trainers for the DS are kind of obsolete because many flashcards offer Action Replay cheat support.

If I'm right crackers's app won't make a startup menu, but instead hard-patches selected cheats in the ROM dump, though key-combo's are possible.

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to use slomo then there is but for cheats, no. It is essentially for people that have slot 2 carts or a slot 1 cart that doesn't support cheats (or has problems with cheats) or for slomo since only two carts support that currently. Also is good for hobbyists who want to insert their own code for testing, etc.

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Auto patching is now added so DSATM can live up to its name. This should put to rest most of the problems with finding a free place in RAM! Cheat on newbies!
yaynds.gif

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
Thanks. Placement with CreateWindow calls is a tedious job. (BTW if anyone knows of a tool that can convert a dialog resource into CreateWindow calls I would love to know about it.) Unfortunately the flow kind of fell apart at the end due to the hook/embed listboxes.
Why don't you just use dialogs?
huh.gif
I don't really know anyone that actually uses CreateWindow
laugh.gif

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hyperlisk_ said:
cracker said:
Thanks. Placement with CreateWindow calls is a tedious job. (BTW if anyone knows of a tool that can convert a dialog resource into CreateWindow calls I would love to know about it.) Unfortunately the flow kind of fell apart at the end due to the hook/embed listboxes.
Why don't you just use dialogs?
huh.gif
I don't really know anyone that actually uses CreateWindow
laugh.gif

Cuz I'm pissed off at EnumWindows! Errrrr hmmmm why did I use CreateWindow calls again?

[sheep]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
REAL trainers will never be obsolete, doesnt matter how many CODE enablers people code up in their spare time, they will never replace the cool options that can be reversed from real hacking, these AR CHEAT CODES kill games.. simple as that.. a REAL trainer will enhance a game.. not just give u infinte lives or level skip.. if people appreciated the scene a little more then they would have good groups still active releasing REAL trainers with great options, just check out the last scene trainer for advanced wars : DOR.. makes all those silly codes look like a retards shopping list..

i for 1 promote REAL trainer making.. -[ITS AN ART]-

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[sheep said:
]
REAL trainers will never be obsolete, doesnt matter how many CODE enablers people code up in their spare time, they will never replace the cool options that can be reversed from real hacking, these AR CHEAT CODES kill games.. simple as that.. a REAL trainer will enhance a game.. not just give u infinte lives or level skip.. if people appreciated the scene a little more then they would have good groups still active releasing REAL trainers with great options, just check out the last scene trainer for advanced wars : DOR.. makes all those silly codes look like a retards shopping list..

i for 1 promote REAL trainer making.. -[ITS AN ART]-

I find it funny how some people get upset about the trainers that aren't 'proper'. If you don't like them then don't use them. Why start trolling over it?

I will agree that trainer making is an art just as any programming is and just because it lacks a menu doesn't make it completely worthless. The end result is what matters. And I'm just curious if you have the source to trainers you have made available? TIA!

[sheep]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
im not upset
smile.gif
everyone does that which is to their maximum or limited ability.. you cant get upset over people trying to create with a hobby..

what i did say.. which im not sure u understood is that its not the flashy menus that make a trainer at all, its the options that are within the trainer. AR codes very rarely come up with anything useful to a person who has played a game to death and want a little bit of replay value.. a menu is always nice but isnt necessary at all..

currently im working on an INGAME menu system for my trainers so hopefully will have something to release in the near future.

Once perfected there will be no need for a trainer menu at the start.. u will have one u can access at any time, checking the status of the options ON/OFF etc.. and with such a system much more is possible..

to make a simple menu for the ds to run ur trainers from is completely possible with a tiny bit of research, everything u need is out there.. considering the ds and gba are so very similar, combine that with the current tutorials and you cant go wrong.. but like i said.. this doesnt make a proper trainer.. reversing of great options does.

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[sheep said:
]
im not upset
smile.gif
everyone does that which is to their maximum or limited ability.. you cant get upset over people trying to create with a hobby..

what i did say.. which im not sure u understood is that its not the flashy menus that make a trainer at all, its the options that are within the trainer. AR codes very rarely come up with anything useful to a person who has played a game to death and want a little bit of replay value.. a menu is always nice but isnt necessary at all..

currently im working on an INGAME menu system for my trainers so hopefully will have something to release in the near future.

Once perfected there will be no need for a trainer menu at the start.. u will have one u can access at any time, checking the status of the options ON/OFF etc.. and with such a system much more is possible..

to make a simple menu for the ds to run ur trainers from is completely possible with a tiny bit of research, everything u need is out there.. considering the ds and gba are so very similar, combine that with the current tutorials and you cant go wrong.. but like i said.. this doesnt make a proper trainer.. reversing of great options does.

I did some experimenting with an ingame menu but came to realize it had many drawbacks. The biggest problem lays in that the buffers aren't accessible by both cpus and worse yet is that the arm9 governs which cpu has control over the buffers and the mode to use for the screens so you can't take control over a buffer and screen mode from the arm7. In short you have to hook both arms to do the magic.
tongue.gif
So I settled on just a key function to turn on/off codes. Usually people don't want to just cheat in one particular place -- they want to do it throughout the whole game so I don't think it is a huge deal and the ability to turn the codes on/off is more for getting past points in a game that may otherwise get stuck if you don't turn them off (like counting points at the end of a level).

arctic_flame said:
QUOTE(cracker @ Apr 30 2008, 06:57 AM) Auto patching is now added so DSATM can live up to its name. This should put to rest most of the problems with finding a free place in RAM! Cheat on newbies!
yaynds.gif

I somehow missed this. Great work.

Glad you like it.
grog.gif

[sheep]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm, ive not come across that problem at all.. there are bugs, but i can take control over the buffers and the screen states at ANY time without any problems what so ever. At least in all the games ive tried so far, 18 or so, so far.. this is a project i started a long time ago but had to sell my ds and lost interest, im now back to finish the project with some good friends and hopefully once finished contribute with a lot of very nice trainers .. watch this space.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
everyone does that which is to their maximum or limited ability
[sheep]: anything that gets someone interested and tinkering means extending their ability. Everyone has to learn some way, may as well be a way that is interesting for them
wink.gif

cracker: thanks! I hadn't noticed until today that you had added the asm option I had asked about
smile.gif
Does it still exist in 1.3 or current GUI version? I missed 1.2 entirely....

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cory1492 said:
cracker: thanks! I hadn't noticed until today that you had added the asm option I had asked about
smile.gif
Does it still exist in 1.3 or current GUI version? I missed 1.2 entirely....

Yep it does. Just select the asm file instead of a cheat .txt. It should be noted that you don't have to worry about destroying any registers (aside from the sp, pc of course) since it saves and restores everything to/from the stack with your code in between. So for this reason make sure to branch to the end of your function at the end and not bx lr (which wouldn't be good).
smile.gif
I'm sure you wouldn't have had a problem figuring that out by reading the generated trainer.asm but thought I would give you (and anyone else that wants to mess with it) the heads up.

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It varies with different games of course but for most games 0x23FE000-0x23FEDFF are free so that's 3.5K at least. You could safely use lower memory than that in many games though if you needed even more memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter