DS #2576: Professor Brainium's Games (USA)

loathsome

Trophies
XP
Country
paultoompas said:
hey, i thought i'd be dissapointed, but this actually has some good games on it. it's got cross sums which i love. also has sudoku (i'm sure this has been implemented better in some other game), go (not sure how good the ai is), mahjongg (the single player kind), and mindbender (the code breaker game where you try and guess the correct colors in the correct order in a certain number of tries). can play go, mahjongg (still not real mahjongg), and mindbender multiplayer with a nearby friend (that also has cartridge). nothing at all original.

OH GREAT nothing of that has been done a millionfuckingtimes before
yaynds.gif

Karmatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
loathsome said:
paultoompas said:
hey, i thought i'd be dissapointed, but this actually has some good games on it. it's got cross sums which i love. also has sudoku (i'm sure this has been implemented better in some other game), go (not sure how good the ai is), mahjongg (the single player kind), and mindbender (the code breaker game where you try and guess the correct colors in the correct order in a certain number of tries). can play go, mahjongg (still not real mahjongg), and mindbender multiplayer with a nearby friend (that also has cartridge). nothing at all original.

OH GREAT nothing of that has been done a millionfuckingtimes before
yaynds.gif

If this is true, where can I find a good version of Go?

paultoompas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only other portable Go games i know of are the hikaru no go games for gba. they're in japanese but provide a lot more tutorial on strategy and how to play. i know of no portable cross sum games.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Karmatic said:
You can't. Go is a famous problem in AI programming because of its extremely high branching factor; no computers capable of beating even a half-decent casual player exist, not even using state-of-the-art supercomputers.

Seriously. The fact that they even tried (and that Professor Brainium's Games wasn't headline news on every circuits page of every newspaper everywhere for inventing the totally new approach to AI programming that would be needed to accomplish it well) indicates how awful this is, since anyone who was either a competent programmer or a competent Go player would know better than to even try. At least the Hikaru no Go games had the excuse of acting as a tutorial to someone who knows nothing of the game; this looks like its creators either didn't realize their AI sucked, or didn't care.

None of the implementations are very good, anyway. Get it if you love cross sums, but otherwise, pass.

loathsome

Trophies
XP
Country
Ruri said:
Karmatic said:
If this is true, where can I find a good version of Go?You can't. Go is a famous problem in AI programming because of its extremely high branching factor; no computers capable of beating even a half-decent casual player exist, not even using state-of-the-art supercomputers.

Seriously. The fact that they even tried (and that Professor Brainium's Games wasn't headline news on every circuits page of every newspaper everywhere for inventing the totally new approach to AI programming that would be needed to accomplish it well) indicates how awful this is, since anyone who was either a competent programmer or a competent Go player would know better than to even try. At least the Hikaru no Go games had the excuse of acting as a tutorial to someone who knows nothing of the game; this looks like its creators either didn't realize their AI sucked, or didn't care.

None of the implementations are very good, anyway. Get it if you love cross sums, but otherwise, pass.

True. It has even been claimed that Go is the most complex game in the world because of its vast number of variations in individual games.

The game complexity of Go is such that describing even elementary strategy fills many introductory books. In fact, numerical estimates show that the number of possible games of Go far exceeds the number of atoms in the known universe.

mrbass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ruri said:
Karmatic said:
You can't. Go is a famous problem in AI programming because of its extremely high branching factor; no computers capable of beating even a half-decent casual player exist, not even using state-of-the-art supercomputers.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...44&from=rss
"the go program MoGo, running on an 800-core supercomputer, beat 8-dan professional go player Myungwan Kim in a 9-stone handicap game" ....he played 11 mins and computer took 50 mins...but hey your right about no personal computer let alone DS can beat a competent GO player. I'm still very much a beginner GO player and enjoy a few of the GO titles on the DS albeit they're in Japanese.

0334 - Itsu Demo Doko Demo Dekiru Igo - AI Igo DS
0558 - Daredemo Kantan Chou Chikun no Tsumego
1017 - Asonde Igo ga Tsuyoku naru Ginsei Igo DS
20206 - Umezawa Yukari no Yasashi Igo

jenngcia

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The European version (Professor Brainiac) has an extra game, It's a Bejewelled clone. Not sure if it's a hidden game on the US version. But on the Euro version, it's available from the start.

And different names on some of the games. Cross-Sums is Kakuro in the Euro.

Better than Frontline's earlier Sudoku/Kakuro standalone, which were disastrous. Don't expect a masterpiece either...

stonefry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I saw that this game had cross sums, I dashed off to get it. The interface stinks and the creators have no idea how to categorize the puzzles into easy medium and hard. They think that if a puzzle is small, it's easy. There is no room to make notes which is absolutely critical in cross sums. Garbage.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stonefry said:
When I saw that this game had cross sums, I dashed off to get it. The interface stinks and the creators have no idea how to categorize the puzzles into easy medium and hard. They think that if a puzzle is small, it's easy. There is no room to make notes which is absolutely critical in cross sums. Garbage.

Did you buy it or "buy" it? :\ Because it you bought it was a waste of money, if you "bought" it, then it was a waste of quota. XD

So nothing really good, puzzle games are okay, but this is scary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirGDuzLvkQ +1