DS #2353: Looney Tunes: Cartoon Conductor (USA)

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
funem said:
OOOh just found this on my usual site, not holding out much hope for this, not after the Daffy Duck and Tom and Jerry releases.
Yeah, I don't think many people have high hopes for this one.

(You have the best sig in the world, by the way)

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its Loony Toons so I was guessing there was going to be no "pop" songs or the like and I was right. As you are playing a conductor all the tunes are classical tunes and they are quite long, or, the way you play the games may make them seem that way. The main problem as far as I can see is the person who buys this will like Loony Tunes, but I would guess they would not like to sit through all the classical tunes. Even though they are by different composers and have different beats, they all come over the same in the game and there is no feeling of a different melody as there is in Elite Beat. And there-in is the problem, the tunes are not different enough for you to care much about them. Don't get me wrong I like classical music but they seem so reduced in instruments that they seem to sound like the same piece of music. Though when you play a bum note the off key effects are quite good.

The animation is as good as I would have expected on the DS, when you are in the thick of the game, the animation on the top screen is repeated so you don't miss any of the story of the cartoon played out as you play the game, the trouble is I keep wanting to look at the top screen to see what is going on.

Dragging the stylus from one note to another is a bit of a pain and is used more than just tapping the notes, especially if you are like me and your big meaty hands get in the way of the screen, the trick is on tunes with slow beats is to drag the stylus just before the next note and only go onto it when the closing circle or square is just in the right place, else it all goes Pete Tong.

As its 120mb ish trimmed I don't think I would keep this and I certainly don't think I would be buying it.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Screenshots

blank.gif

wtf.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's EBA with classical music and Looney Tunes characters. Scenes from the old cartoons (re-rendered in polygons) play in the top-screen and the EBA'ing goes on on the bottom screen. The graphics look a little off....probably a side-effect of them not using actual cells from the cartoon and instead attempting to re-create them in polygons. As we all know, the dude who did the voices (can't rem his name at the moment) died long ago, so the voices aren't like you may remember, but the old humor seems to be intact.

Fans of Looney Tunes (the BEST cartoons on the planet, IMO) may like this, peeps who don't like Looney Tunes or EBA will find the classical music a turn-off. While I wouldn't go blasting classical music as I'm cruising in my car, I don't really mind classical, as long as I don't have to hear any screeching fat women or droning dudes singing to it. I love the old cartoons, so I'll probably play this.....whenever I have actual time to do anything these days.
dry.gif

Play around in the menus, funny comments abound.

bunnybreaker

Trophies
Website
devlkore.deviantart.com
XP
Country
funem said:
Its Loony Toons so I was guessing there was going to be no "pop" songs or the like and I was right. As you are playing a conductor all the tunes are classical tunes and they are quite long, or, the way you play the games may make them seem that way. The main problem as far as I can see is the person who buys this will like Loony Tunes, but I would guess they would not like to sit through all the classical tunes. Even though they are by different composers and have different beats, they all come over the same in the game and there is no feeling of a different melody as there is in Elite Beat. And there-in is the problem, the tunes are not different enough for you to care much about them. Don't get me wrong I like classical music but they seem so reduced in instruments that they seem to sound like the same piece of music. Though when you play a bum note the off key effects are quite good.

The animation is as good as I would have expected on the DS, when you are in the thick of the game, the animation on the top screen is repeated so you don't miss any of the story of the cartoon played out as you play the game, the trouble is I keep wanting to look at the top screen to see what is going on.

Dragging the stylus from one note to another is a bit of a pain and is used more than just tapping the notes, especially if you are like me and your big meaty hands get in the way of the screen, the trick is on tunes with slow beats is to drag the stylus just before the next note and only go onto it when the closing circle or square is just in the right place, else it all goes Pete Tong.

As its 120mb ish trimmed I don't think I would keep this and I certainly don't think I would be buying it.

Thanks for your nice write up. I love Looney Toons and classical music, I still don't think this game will be for me due to the musical mechanics you listed. I may give it a try once I finish some more games.

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Meh. Gonna have to keep waiting for an EBA Sequel. Only played the first 2 apprentice levels at "C" levels, so maybe it might get better after a while.

One thing that I don´t like are the bad notes when you´re off. That just thows me even more off!

Will keep it on my card for now, who knows, maybe it gets better later.

Anyone checked the "tracklist"? Just to get an idea of the long term value.

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, take it easy on the Daffy Duck bashing. That "Duck Amuck" game is a very underated title. It was well produced, funny, and for those of us that grew up on Looney Tunes, a nostalgic walk down memory lane. The mini-games were lame, but it was entertaining overall. More like an interactive cartoon than anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo