Hacking Dreamcast on Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear ya. The Conduit could be the landmark game the Wii needs to inspire more 3rd parties to step up the production values.

WhiteWingedKnigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MrBubbles said:
I hear ya. The Conduit could be the landmark game the Wii needs to inspire more 3rd parties to step up the production values.

Lets just hope for the best, actually you know what? don't hope, we know it will be good =)

The Gameplay doesn't seem to disappoint neither does the story, or graphics! Many review sites didn't have one negative preview about the game so that says something. AI, well lets see wat happens, but even if they aren't the best, regardless I will get the game and play through the story and enjoy online...

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
Look...enough with the nay saying. Lets see what a dev can do. At lease for the sake of showing off, TRY. I think that the Wii and the community as a whole earns that much. Besides, who know what discoveries would come out of a project like this. Oh and if you think I'm just going to give up on my cause... NOT happening. I deal with naysayers all the time, and time after time I've seen them proven wrong. I'm not giving up
smile.gif

I hear ya! Good for you. If you feel strongly about it, YOU DO IT. If you believe the Wii has some hidden power and one can discover great things, YOU DO IT. If you never give up on such projects, YOU DO IT. Do you really think just because you want it and think its possible, that its going to magically happen, and these "Devs" will create this for you? Apparently you think you can invoke deep enthusiasm into developers.

Why not just learn how to program, and make it yourself, prove to everyone that it is powerful enough and it possible. You would be a legend!

I want a perfect N64 emulator, now actually.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
WhiteWingedKnight said:
QUOTE said:
The Wii isn't "barely" more powerful than the PSP. The PSP struggles with full N64 emulation while the Wii can pull it off no problem. The PSP is closer in power to the Dreamcast honestly, but never close to as the Wii. The PSP clocked is 333mhz, the Wii is actually around the original Xbox....720MHZ is the unofficial number going around.

How is this 'barely' more powerful than the PSP? That's like double. wtf @ petty Wii trolling.

Lol, why do people look at the numbers and compare!

The Wii's CPU Completely destroys Xbox's Intel, Why? Its two completely different architectures! The Cpu in Wii is a PowerPc Chip, While the Cpu in the Xbox is a x86 Chip, The PowerPc utterly destroys the Xbox's x86 chip in every single thing possible, processing, physics, speed, performance, anything you can think of, The Wii can produce shaders and near next-gen quality graphics.

The Shader support isn't built in the Wii Gpu, but it definitely can produce them through the TEV (Texture Environment Unit) But the TEV is a pain in the booty for developers to use, which is why you see a lack of decent looking games, The wii can do everything the Xbox 360 and Ps3 can, but it takes somework and will not be at the Quality of the Big Boys, The Gpu in the wii is just a more powerful GC Gpu. The TEV is programmable but difficult to program, which explains why the Quantum3 Engine is able to use the Wii's Entire TEV Unit and took over a year to make, Now this engine is young and give it sometime, soon we might be able to see almost near exactly Xbox 360 quality if thats possible.

The ATI Hollywood can actually produce "insane fillrates" to use Factor 5's words. Hollywood is capable of a pixel fill-rate of almost 972 mega pixels. Having such a high fill-rate capability means that the Wii can perform advanced shaders, advanced texture filtering and advanced multi-layer texture effects better than the Gamecube and any last gen console could do.

BTW if you go to my The Conduit Thread in the Games Discussion you'll see a video show in High Quality (Its a link in the thread in one of my posts.) showing The Conduit off at PAX08 on Sep 8th, 2008, the game looks like a early 360 game and that was 4 months ago, HVS said the graphics have improved and the engine is already improving further.

So if this is all capabilities of the Wii is there ever going to be a chance of us being able to "overclock" the cpu and gpu? Or would that be just another dream I'm having??

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dreamcast on the Wii would be a "Dream" come true...
Get it? Hahahahahha, sometimes I can't handle myself.

A while back I remember the Dreamcast emulator on PSP as a POC, so if it's possible there it should be on the Wii as well.(Actually I also recall something about them porting it to other consoles such as the Wii, but that was quite some time ago) I doubt we'd ever get full speed emulation since my laptop even has framerate issues when using a DC emulator. And that's if it ever comes out.

As for the "power" of the Wii compared to other consoles on the market, yes, 3rd party developers have been slacking on the platform due to the huge market available to them and all they care about is money instead of making a quality product. Hopefully The Conduit will change that. I've seen early demos of the game and their tech demo with the water and statues and stuff and I was very impressed. What they did looked not much different than early titles on the 360 like Perfect Dark Zero.

But when people here are saying that the Wii could potentially do "anything" the PS3 or 360 can do, I must say you're being overly generous. For instance, the PS3 is capable of real-time ray-tracing. Ray-tracing is one of the most effective methods of computer graphics, though it's the most costly as well. Up 'til lately you'd need a super-computer to handle all the calculations required to accomplish ray-tracing in real-time suitable for a video game. Pixar rarely even uses it in their feature films. But now, with the Cell BE's separate SPU's developers can implement it if they so choose. You can even see it for yourself with a PS3 with Linux installed. Of course, the demos up on IBM's servers run

Arraso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1) DreamCast is a primary 64-bit machine (indeed it has 32-bit "turbo" CPU) with a 128-bit graphics engine. Just like the old Xbox, that has a Celeron inside with an updated nVidia GeForce 3 (forget about "bits", people).

2) The Hitachi CPU inside the DreamCast isn't easy to work. The biggest "problem" in emulation is when you have to force a certain type of CPU (like x86) "read" another type (RISC, PowerPC...). It's like "hey, try to resolve this math problem changing numbers to letters". It's possible, but will take more "CPU cycles" of your mind
smile.gif

3) STOP THINKING IN MEGAHERTZ AND BITS AND BYTES AND PUSSIES. There's a lot of numbers and more important technology behind megahertz. A Core2Duo chip today running at 2000Mhz is more powerfull than an old Pentium 4 machine at 4Ghgz (4000Mhz). So we can't compare systems only with megahertz.

4) Hollywood chip can help, but the main chip of Wii is more important in an emulation.

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I laughed when I saw this title.

It's highly unlikely, but then again people have high hopes for Dreamcast on Pandora. If drkIIRaziel ever decided he wanted to port nullDC to Wii, then I'd say it's very possible. Other than that though, I wouldn't count on it.

telefunkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WhiteWingedKnight said:
killplaystation said:
the graphics in conduit suck and barely compare to xbox1. The devs are kidding themselves.

They suck do they? You must be blind boy!

The Conduit at PAX08 *4 months ago* and the game has improved ever since -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWPwVRriIL0...page&fmt=18

For Those Intrested:

Elebits Physics Test - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41w-bbtVFKE *note* read the side about it

not to get off topic, i do hope a dreamcast emu is made. It is possible, but may take a looooonggg time. by then the new nintendo system would be out... or maybe im exaggerating...

there's better gameplay footage here

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14248157/th...208.Sub.02.html

be sure to check out all the vids as there is several

thawkins1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
]
killplaystation said:
the graphics in conduit suck and barely compare to xbox1. The devs are kidding themselves.

This guy is clueless, seriously you have no idea. The graphics in the Conduit are GREAT.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quadomatic said:
I laughed when I saw this title.

It's highly unlikely, but then again people have high hopes for Dreamcast on Pandora. If drkIIRaziel ever decided he wanted to port nullDC to Wii, then I'd say it's very possible. Other than that though, I wouldn't count on it.

Who is this "drkIIRaziel" that you speak of and, how can I get a hold of him?

cr08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really, I want to know how many of the nay-sayers here are really just Sony fanboys in disguise.

Really do not see what is so difficult about this prospect. Emulation communities have done worse before. Saturn on the Dreamcast, N64 on the PC (in the real early days with sub-500mhz procs), PS1 on the Wii currently. May not always be the fastest thing on earth, but the whole idea of system emulation is to get the system completely and accurately emulated on a non-native platform, even if it means running at 2fps.

To the OP and any other positive thinking onlookers, I say go for it. It would certainly be an awesome thing to see. It is certainly feasible on a technical standpoint as are any other emulators. PS1 and Saturn are possible even with the cd based disc drives (iso's on SD or USB, etc.), so should the DC.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A PC can barely run a dreamcast EMu i'm pretty sure its not that good either, which i havn't checked in awhile things may have changed

WhiteWingedKnigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What nintendo should do for their next system is give it a new completely powerful gpu, and a beefed up TEV Unit, That thing can kick some serious booty for graphics!

Everything is custom and not pre-set like the other systems, like Highly Detailed Shaders, Normal Mapping, HDR Lighting and textures, altho it would be more difficult to do, but its worth it considering you can customize all these things to the systems fullest potiential at a playable framerate, unlike have preset things and trying to improve upon them to make a better looking game.

I support the TEV unit and i think Wii developers should be able to take their time like HVS and mess with it, the results can be very promising, look at SMG, that game has custom shaders and other things and looks great, just imagine what Factor 5 would of done... I'd probably have my jaw dropped to the floor and crying, when i saw RS on GC i was like *jaw drop* so if any developer takes their time and really does try we can some some graphically impressive games.

cr08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
A PC can barely run a dreamcast EMu i'm pretty sure its not that good either, which i havn't checked in awhile things may have changed

And? First of all, it's about accurately emulating the system regardless of speed.

Secondly, you are thinking the very early days of DC emulation on the PC. It's now not all that shabby really. Same could be said for Wii64 currently and emulating the DC on the Wii probably wouldn't be far off in viability.

aaron91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think finishing the Saturn emu is of greater importance to the community. Not only is it a very hard system to emulate but the games and consoles are not in huge supply. Fairly soon it will be very unlikely for someone to even be able to play Saturn games. Once the Saturn emu is done or the Dreamcast is perhaps two generations behind is when it gets important to preserve it.

aaron_McNiven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
JoeyGennaro said:
That's completely untrue - the Wii is MORE than capable of emulating the Dreamcast at 60 to 70% speed. However, I doubt anybody will take the time to bother making a decent emulator for it. I think what should be done before this is getting Gamecube backups to run first.

lol if someone bothered to make it for the psp then i think it'll be easier to make for the wii.

its completly possible!!!

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cr08 said:
Really, I want to know how many of the nay-sayers here are really just Sony fanboys in disguise.

Really do not see what is so difficult about this prospect. Emulation communities have done worse before. Saturn on the Dreamcast, N64 on the PC (in the real early days with sub-500mhz procs), PS1 on the Wii currently. May not always be the fastest thing on earth, but the whole idea of system emulation is to get the system completely and accurately emulated on a non-native platform, even if it means running at 2fps.

To the OP and any other positive thinking onlookers, I say go for it. It would certainly be an awesome thing to see. It is certainly feasible on a technical standpoint as are any other emulators. PS1 and Saturn are possible even with the cd based disc drives (iso's on SD or USB, etc.), so should the DC.

You can't put the Dreamcast in the same category as PS1 and N64. It much more powerful then that generation. It should be placed in the PS2, GCN generation. An emulator running at 2fps maybe cool for tech demo, but it would serve zero purpose. You just want them to try, because you think it will achieve full speed, and be playable. It will not. Waste of time.

cr08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dookieman said:
cr08 said:

You can't put the Dreamcast in the same category as PS1 and N64. It much more powerful then that generation. It should be placed in the PS2, GCN generation. An emulator running at 2fps maybe cool for tech demo, but it would serve zero purpose. You just want them to try, because you think it will achieve full speed, and be playable. It will not. Waste of time.

Sorry, where did I ever say I expected it to be full speed? On the contrary, I explicitly stated I never expected it to be completely full speed. But on the technical aspect of being able to get the hardware emulated even to the order of maybe 3fps optimistically, that is still plenty of reason to try if someone is willing to attempt it.

I'm one of those people who likes to see how far a system can be pushed for its capabilities way beyond the point others have suggested its not worth it. And I'm sure many of those who have poured eons of work into many existing emulators follow the same or similar philosophies.

Yes, the very large majority of the member base here would probably have a coronary over not having a full speed emulator out of the gate, but they just need a major reality check and log off for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu